Terry Francona sucks!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Francona sucks!!!!!

The more I watch him manage, the more mistakes I see him perpetrate. He is terrible about leaving pitchers in the game too long and they give up all kinds of runs and the Sox can never come back because they are down too much. Tonights game, the 2nd game of the double-header, was a perfect example. He puts Craig Hansen in the game. Hansen just gives up hits and walks and can't get anyone out. If a pitcher doesnt have it, he doesnt have it. It's very simple to see. Francona's problem is he tries to be the good guy and trust the pitchers and he doesnt want to piss them off by taking them out. His job is to do whats best for the TEAM, not whats best for his relationship with the players. He does this all the time! I can personally remember about 5-7 games this season alone that he has done this. The Sox are not gonna make the playoffs this year and I blame Francona's stupid a**!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tinker, Evers, Chance & Steinfeldt: The nucleus of our elite World Series teams!!!!

about 10% of my posts on this site are miscellanous 2 sentence posts about nothing in particular, 40% are me talking about how great david ortiz is, and 50% is me hating terry francona.

i'm with you. i've heard he's great in pre-game preparation, and i don't necesarily doubt it. but my god he is terrible with in-game decisions. absolutely terrible. i could go on for pages about it, or i could sit here and steam a while.

i'm gonna go with steam.
    Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Francona is actually a descent manager, you wonder why he leaves the starters in, it'sbecause he has no bullpen.
      Last edited by BigPapi34; 08-21-2006, 08:39 PM.
      GO SAWX
      Love football? Come join Pigskin Fever www.pigskin-fever.com

Comment

At the moment, there's nothing better in the bullpen, including Timlin. Can't bring Papelbon in the 7th, so you either leave Hansen in or bring another defunk bullpen pitcher in to do the same exact thing that Hansen did yesterday. He brought Timlin in and he also failed. No excuse for Timlin failing either. Relief pitcher relieve the the previous pitcher, if Timlin can't come in with runners on base, he's not all that great himself.

While I do think Terry mismanage the bullpen at times, not much to say about yesterday game except our bullpen was explioted, which I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
          Can't bring Papelbon in the 7th, so you either leave Hansen in or bring another defunk bullpen pitcher in to do the same exact thing that Hansen did yesterday.
          Now, I know this may defy baseball convention, but with the bases loaded and one out in the 7th, with the Red Sox up by two, why not bring in Papelbon instead of Timlin? Shouldn't you bring your best reliever in when the game is on the line, instead of just in the 9th inning?

There's a good chance that Papelbon could have gotten out of that jam, and he could still have pitched the 8th inning, too. Sure, he wouldn't be available for the 9th inning, but is there really something more difficult about pitching the 9th than pitching in a critical situation in the 7th?
          "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Casey
            Now, I know this may defy baseball convention, but with the bases loaded and one out in the 7th, with the Red Sox up by two, why not bring in Papelbon instead of Timlin? Shouldn't you bring your best reliever in when the game is on the line, instead of just in the 9th inning?

There's a good chance that Papelbon could have gotten out of that jam, and he could still have pitched the 8th inning, too. Sure, he wouldn't be available for the 9th inning, but is there really something more difficult about pitching the 9th than pitching in a critical situation in the 7th?
            Unconventional yes, but I've had the same thought. Why does the save have to happen in the 9th?

If Papelbon comes in in the 7th and holds the lead, that to me "saves" the game from becoming a loss.

Something to think about.
            Ken :gt

Comment

There must be a god.

First Jason Johnson gets DFA'd
              then
              Rudy Seanez gets DFA'd.

I proclaim August 18th, 2006 as the day the '06 Red Sox finally made a smart move.

Comment

If y'all can ignore the uniform of the team I root for, I'll gladly discuss this with you.

You can use your closer in that sitaution. Some have advocated this, as the closer is your best relief pitcher. I think it's more than just having a set role. At times, the most trying time may occur in the 6th inning.

How long would it take Papelbon to warm up? Does he do any specific pre-game exercises always, like stretching, throwing a ball or whatever? If he doesn't have the opportunity to do that, then his use may be wasted.

I haven't any idea whether Timlin or Foulke was more rested (recently, not just Foulke's recent return off the DL). I'm not too sure I'd have put Foulke in that situation so early anyway.

If anything, since Timlin had closed last season, he may have been your best option, even if the results didn't demonstrate this. I generally feel that if it's in the 7th, a setup man may be the likeliest option, and preferably one who's gotten some saves in the past. That way, if the closer is overused, even in a 1-run game, the setup guy can still close the game in the 9th.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

why not bring in Papelbon instead of Timlin?
                  Speaking of Timlin, here's what Bill Simmons said the other day in an article on espn.com regarding the most dependable reliever in recent Sox history.

"the Red Sox allowing 40-year-old Mike Timlin to pitch in the WBC (he's a walking corpse now);"

Now I see just how right he is.h

I now have as much faith in Timlin as I do in Tavarez or Seanez. ... sad indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by rwolfe09
                    There must be a god.

then
                    Rudy Seanez gets DFA'd.

I proclaim August 18th, 2006 as the day the '06 Red Sox finally made a smart move.
                    They finally took the trash out to the curb!

Comment

Originally posted by rwolfe09
                      There must be a god.

then
                      Rudy Seanez gets DFA'd.

Hurray! About time, I have no idea in the world, how they lasted this long. Although I think Taverez is worse than Seanez but both arent very good.
                      go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

Well, Tavarez has had more "decent" outings but definately..Tavarez is on the shortest least with the organization. I mean Foulke didn't do that bad for not pitching for awhile but man he looked confused. And I really think he doesn't wanna pitch in Boston.

Also..if you put Papelbon in the 7th..then you wont have him for a few days. And Terry doesn't keep people like Hansen to get their friendships better, he does it so they can get better at playing that certain situation. Like with runners on the corners or "ducks on the pond" he'd stick with a younger pitcher so he can get experience. It's that Terry wants his bullpen to be experienced in as many situations as possible.
                        Last edited by rwolfe09; 08-19-2006, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Theo loves Tito, so I think he'll stay with Francona far too long. Missing the playoffs this season probably won't be enough to get Tito canned.

If the Sox fall to 3rd place or are 8 or more games back ending the season, maybe that will be sufficient.

In the long term, the Sox need a better in-game manager. Yeah, maybe the players like him because he doesn't make them accountable for their mistakes, bad behavior and poor performances, but that doesn't satisfy me as a fan.

How can Tito be the one that gave us our World Series?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub Red Sox Fan 4Life
                            They finally took the trash out to the curb!
                            Well said. Seanez has annoyed me for ages now. Just need to get shot of Taverez now and we'll be sorted!
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Red Sox, you are the only only only!
                            [/SIZE]

Comment

Who's likely to be called up with the DFAs of Seanez and Johnson?
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X