Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockin500
    isnt gonzo hurt?
    I had heard something about his back hurting, but I don't know if it's been enough to keep him unavailable for pinch-hitting.
    "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Casey
      I meant to say 8th inning...that's what I get for not proofreading.
      So I figured. In that case, I'd agree with you. It's not foolproof, as he'd have to still get 6 outs. I seriously doubt that he'd have loaded up the bases, but with him being rested, I can't understand why you don't go for your ultimate stopper so late in a game with a 2-run lead.

I think that at least 1 run would've scored over 2 innings. For 2 runs, I'm not sure. That's anybody's guess. I just believe that the odds would've been more in Boston's favor with Paps starting the 8th.

As to the "big picture", I really don't think that the Nation should in any way give up. Back around 2001 was one of the worst seasons, but I'd spoken with many RS fans on another board. The amount of patience and holding the candle for better they'd had back then highly impressed me. There's still about 40 games left to be played. May not look extremely hopeful now, but I think that I'd not give up on the season at all, even if I'd been in your shoes.
      Last edited by Mattingly; 08-22-2006, 02:51 AM.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

We here in Philly could have told you Francona sucks a long long time ago.:grouchy

Comment

He's got nothing to work with. The pitching staff is like the framework of a house, and if the framework is rotten, it doesn't matter how nice it looks from the outside, it's still going to fall down. That's how the Sox scored 11 runs in one of those games and still lost. Rotten pitching.

Would you blame the carpenter for building a lousy house if he only had rotten wood and bent nails to work with?
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Casey
            ... where were Gonzalez and Lopez?
            Lopez, I dunno. But Gonzo has a slight oblique strain and might go on the DL. h
            --Annie
            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
              He's got nothing to work with. The pitching staff is like the framework of a house, and if the framework is rotten, it doesn't matter how nice it looks from the outside, it's still going to fall down. That's how the Sox scored 11 runs in one of those games and still lost. Rotten pitching.

Would you blame the carpenter for building a lousy house if he only had rotten wood and bent nails to work with?
              You can look at that different ways, I guess. Yesterday, we held the Yankees to TWO runs - and we still lost.

And besides, how could Francona have been such a genius two years ago and such an idiot today? Maybe those of us who have seen this transformation in him, are actually the ones who were transformed.
              Last edited by DickZ; 08-22-2006, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ
                You can look at that different ways, I guess. Yesterday, we held the Yankees to TWO runs - and we still lost.

And besides, how could Francona have been such a genius two years ago and such an idiot today? Maybe those of us who have seen this transformation in him, are actually the ones who were transformed.
                This begs the question: was he as much of an idiot then, and simply lucked out? or was he then and is he now a good manager, stripped of a good team to work with?

Or a little of both? I go with this option. He's made some appallingly awful moves, some great moves, and has been both buoyed and betrayed by Lady Luck.
                --Annie
                Remember Yellowdog
                ABNY

Comment

This begs the question: was he as much of an idiot then, and simply lucked out? or was he then and is he now a good manager, stripped of a good team to work with?

Or a little of both? I go with this option. He's made some appallingly awful moves, some great moves, and has been both buoyed and betrayed by Lady Luck.
                  Any manager with the right tools can look great. Just ask Joe Torre. Before joining the Yankees, his teams practically did nothing. Same thing with Casey Stengel.

Like I said in another post, I feel sorry for Francona. He simply has nothing to work with. I'm afraid that things'll get worse before they get better. h

Comment

I'd say Francona is a decent manager (for an example of a bad one, look no further than Grady) who had a lot of luck on his side a couple of years ago. He's by no means particularly good, but for any of us to evaluate him while this team has its current pitching staff is a long way from fair.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

True, however it's no mystery that Tito isn't a good "In game manager". He's great with the players, good with the media, make's decent descisions on keeping the bench players fresh, however his managerial skills during the game are lacking alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                        True, however it's no mystery that Tito isn't a good "In game manager". He's great with the players, good with the media, make's decent descisions on keeping the bench players fresh, however his managerial skills during the game are lacking alot.

Agreed. I carefully used the word "decent," rather than "good," as I'd concur with what you've said to the letter.
                        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

A manager only as good as the players he's got to work with. He's also as only as good as the players that produce. It's Tito's fault he's got no bullpen to work with outside Papelbon? It's his fault Beckett under achieve?

While he does make a questionable move here and there, like every manager. It's easy to bash the move after the fact it failed. If it succeed, everyone will praise him for making the proper move.
                          Just like every other manager of a baseball team.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                            A manager only as good as the players he's got to work with. He's also as only as good as the players that produce. It's Tito's fault he's got no bullpen to work with outside Papelbon? It's his fault Beckett under achieve?

While he does make a questionable move here and there, like every manager. It's easy to bash the move after the fact it failed. If it succeed, everyone will praise him for making the proper move.

Just like every other manager of a baseball team.
                            While I don't agree at all with the title of this thread, Francona is widely considered to be a mediocre in-game manager, and has been for years. There's no mystery there. He seems solid at every other aspect of his job, though, as was outlined by Jager.

Comment

9/4 vs. CWS

I can't see the wisdom in putting Eric Hinske, a guy who has done almost nothing at the plate, in the 3-hole in tonight's game. Maybe so he could see better pitches with Manny right behind him. . . but still, it really doesn't make sense to me. Is there anyone who can shed light on this? 'Cause I really don't see any.

Comment

L - Youkillis
                                R - Loretta
                                L - Hinske
                                R - Manny

That would be the logical to having Hinske ahead of Manny. To give the line-up a left to hand look. Nixon better protection than Hinske behide Manny, even if he's just coming off the DL.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X