Candidates to replace Tito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvanAparra
    This years woes can HARDLY be blamed on Francona, unless he was the physician on call at Massachusetts General.
    i agree with that 100%, i just think he's a trashy manager on the whole.

again, that is admittedly going solely on his gametime decisions, as those are the only ones i can really judge firsthand.

so maybe his great pregame work and his great personality in the clubhouse really does outweigh his in-game incompetence, but i just can't really believe it. i think he's fried, too, judging by how dead this team looked for so long. they didn't have that red sox attitude we've seen since 2003, they were very lethargic.

but when they signed him in 2004 i was apprehensive, when the bullpen was so incredible through the end of may i started to think he might be doing something right, and then by september i wanted him fired. i've never liked him; the best thing i've ever felt about him is indifference.

and just to repeat myself again, i don't want to say that i know for a fact he's a terrible manager, because i can't quantify the value of his presence in the clubhouse or the work he does pre-game. i just know he makes in-game mistakes more often than any manager i've ever watched aside from grady little (and i am tough on managers, but i do follow the phillies and the yankees, and i can say fairly confidently that Boa was a better ingame manager-he might be the worst manager in baseball overall though, in my opinion- and the same goes for manuel. and i think Torre might be the best in-game manager in baseball).
    Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

I don't understand all the hatin' on Francona. I haven't agreed with everything he's done, but look what he's had to work with this season. Someone brings up the 10-24 record in his last 34 games. Big deal. He is like every other manager in the bigs--if he's got the players who'll execute for him, he looks great. Otherwise, he looks like a pile of poop--just like all the other managers.

I think RSN's biggest concern right now is who they pick up in the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
        I don't understand all the hatin' on Francona. I haven't agreed with everything he's done, but look what he's had to work with this season. Someone brings up the 10-24 record in his last 34 games. Big deal. He is like every other manager in the bigs--if he's got the players who'll execute for him, he looks great. Otherwise, he looks like a pile of poop--just like all the other managers.

I agree with you, pesky. I think the tendency to want blood at the end of a rocky season stems from an expectation that we are entitled to the postseason.

Regardless of some questionable in-game managing, the reality is that this team is not equipped for the postseason, and that has little to nothing to do with Terry. Theo, on the other hand...
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6

to me it was how dead the team looked during that stretch. its the manager's job (largely) to get his team worked up, it at least didn't seem he was doing that.

and i've disagreed with him countless times in game, and i can honestly say that i've been right more often than wrong. its probably not as wide a gap as it feels like, but i'm positive i've been right more often than not when he's made a decision i didn't like. gametime decisions do affect club morale and they do have an effect after the game ends though, so maybe even though he's cost us games with some of his decisions, those same decisions have won us games down the road.

as i've said countless times, and i just keep repeating in case someone missed it, i've disliked him as a manager since the day he was hired. then i became indifferent to him in late spring/early summer of 2004, and then went back to disliking him, and haven't looked back since.
          Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X