No announcement yet.

Jon Lester Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such terrible news. I hope with all my heart that the treatment works swiftly and completely and with as few side effects as possible.

Get well soon, Jon.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
      Thats not exactly the point but if he recovers I think his career is fine. Supreme wishes of good luck to him. I hope he is okay.
      i think you're right, but i think he'll miss a whole year even after recovering, regaining his strength from the chemo. and who knows what that'll do to his effectiveness.
      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
        Thats not exactly the point but if he recovers I think his career is fine. Supreme wishes of good luck to him. I hope he is okay.
        Ask a young man like Lester what baseball is to him and he'll tell you it's his life.
        2016 World Series Champions

Comment

I'm keeping Lester in my prayers.
          2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
            Ask a young man like Lester what baseball is to him and he'll tell you it's his life.
            Good point, that's probably true
            2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

At least they say its curable which is a plus. Get well son Jon
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Red Sox, you are the only only only!
              [/SIZE]

Comment

Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma =ALCL

I have experience doing data management of clinical trials at the DFCI. Googled some web sites, here is what I came up with.

Lymph nodes make and store white blood cells, which is why lymph nodes are swollen during infection, the body is making more white blood cells to clean up the infection.

Very rare type of Lyphoma(white blood cell cancer).

It is almost certain he has, because of his age, ALK+type,most common in young males. ALK is a protein present.(As far as I understand.) This type is systemic(occuring throughout the body).

Cancer is "staged" by how far it has spread througout the body at the time of diagnosis. This cancer will be staged at I through III, determined by the number of lymph nodes involved. Stage IV would be if it has spread outside the lymph nodes, for example, to bone. Stage I is the earliest, Stage IV is the most serious. I would think that it was caught fairly early; he would have had blood tests at spring traing physical. This cancer is classified as "aggressive, but very treatable".

I did not find any timeline from Stage I to Stage IV. There may be data on how many people are diagnosed at certain stages. It is my opinion this will not apply here, since not many people are sent to MGH for a backache. It is also so rare the number of people with ALK type at each stage may not be statistically valid.

The media is saying that chemo will be the first treatment. Low dose chemo is the first treatment for systemic ALCL, which is another reason it is my opinion he has the ALK+ form.

Prognosis ranges from 70 to 90 percent after five years. The variation is partly because this cancer itself seems to have many subtypes, based on the specific variations of white blood cells involved. Because of his health, his access to health care, his young age, it is logical to put his five year prognosis closer to 90 percent.

Unknown whether he can resume his career, no data. It is likely that sperm will be stored before treatment begins. That option is just logical.

Because this cancer is so rare, it it likely that his treatment will start somewhat "standardized", but quickly be tailored specifically to him, depending on how the different types of white cells react.

It also depends on the staging, and of course many other factors.

The cause is unknown, though researchers do note certain chromosome "flipping", I will call it, that is being researched. This does not apply to all cases.

In a few days, I'm certain the Boston media will have a better explaination; perhaps the family will allow his medical team to hold a press conference.

I will be reading more about "ALK", perhaps I will be able to understand more.
                Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Lester has a hard road ahead of him for a while. I hope he overcomes this and resumes what will be a great career.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                      Any updates?
                      i was just thinking the same thing myself.

i talked to my anatomy and physiology teacher, who isn't a doctor but is aone of the smartest guys i've ever met and knows the body, and he says that with early detenction and good medical treatment, ST would be a good over/under for him. he might be weak and stuff, but he's got a decent shot, supposedly, at being back to living normall by march.

all that aside, i don't know a whole lot about cancer treatment, but i'd assume the lack of updates can't be a bad thing, and that we won't be likely to hear any good updates until january or february.

it would be nice to hear somethin about him though...but since it was emphasized that it was very curable when the story first broke, i'd imagine we'd only hear an update if he was very close to ending his treatment or if he had taken a turn for the worse.

more good wishes and prayers for lester.
                      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

v-tek sucks

curious boston said Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                        Boston Boxer - a Real Hero . i agree with the varitek thing. i read on here that sucky players make good managers so varitek fits the criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbuckformvp
                          Boston Boxer - a Real Hero . i agree with the varitek thing. i read on here that sucky players make good managers so varitek fits the criteria.
                          Wow.. You gotta be kidding me..

Comment

Originally posted by johnbuckformvp
                            1.This thread is a serious thread about Jon Lester
                            2.No one has posted in this thread for several days
                            3. That's his signature, If you REALLY want to make a comment about it, send a private message to him.
                            4. Not a good idea to attack a beloved Red Sox player in the Red Sox Fourm.

Comment

What's next? Maybe a Nomar sucks? Or a Schilling is an idiot? Or Youkilis has never been any good?

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                                What's next? Maybe a Nomar sucks? Or a Schilling is an idiot? Or Youkilis has never been any good?
                                it's all true.

just joshin.
                                Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X