Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone besides me still think we have a shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone besides me still think we have a shot?

Looking at the Twins, WhiteSox, and BoSox remaining schedules, I'd have to say that we look to be in the best shape come the end of september. We're one game from sweeping the WhiteSox, which will trim their lead to 3 1/2 games and the Twins face off against the Tigers next. We have some business to take care of with KC in Fenway, I could see the Sox sweeping them back the way they are playing lately. How about Julian Tavarez and Kason Gabbard? They were both pleasant surprises tonight and monday night. I think we still have a shot, it's a long shot, but it's still possible. I hope we can grab the wildcard again, because at this point the AL East Title is obviously out of reach. LET'S GO SOX!!! :gt
    Back to being underdogs

Originally posted by yankeekiller34BigPapi
    Looking at the Twins, WhiteSox, and BoSox remaining schedules, I'd have to say that we look to be in the best shape come the end of september. We're one game from sweeping the WhiteSox, which will trim their lead to 3 1/2 games and the Twins face off against the Tigers next. We have some business to take care of with KC in Fenway, I could see the Sox sweeping them back the way they are playing lately. How about Julian Tavarez and Kason Gabbard? They were both pleasant surprises tonight and monday night. I think we still have a shot, it's a long shot, but it's still possible. I hope we can grab the wildcard again, because at this point the AL East Title is obviously out of reach. LET'S GO SOX!!! :gt
    Yeah, its a very long shot. I dont think Tavarez and Gabbard are going to carry us to the playoffs, so i wouldnt count of them for starts like that anymore. We cant just expect to sweep KC, maybe we should just concentrate on one game at a time with them, maybe we will win one this time.

Comment

This is killing me. . . a little known fact about me is that I'm a season ticket holder (live in Denver, couldn't give them up when I moved out here) and I'm trying to decide if I want to bother to send in my playoff ticket order form. It's a lot of money to give up front, but I'll get it all back if they don't make the playoffs.

As far as realistically having a shot. . . we have to win tomorrow night against Chicago, we have to sweep KC, and take at least 2/3 from each team we play. Looking at the rest of the schedule, we have an important game tomorrow vs. CWS. Contreras is going for them, with Snyder going for us. We've had Contreras' number in the past, but with Snyder on the hill, you never know. If he pitches like he has been lately, we have a shot.

One nice thing about the rest of the month is that after tomorrow, we have an off day, and we actually have three more over the rest of the month. I think we have to sweep KC to keep any momentum going. Next week features three at Baltimore. The biggest hurdle comes after Baltimore with four in NY. Any momentum we have going into this series could be snuffed out pretty quickly, if we play them the same way we did in August.

The rest of the month gives us three at home vs. MINN, then four on the road vs. TOR (and they've killed us out there), then the last five at home vs. TB and BAL.

Now, back to tomorrow's game. . . I wouldn't say it's a must-win, but we really have to buckle down and keep the momentum going. One thing is for sure. . . we can't keep relying on Tavares and Gabbard to give us awesome starts like the last two nights. Our offense has to take some pressure off of the pitching staff.

Comment

Never underestimate the power of teams with nothing left to lose...they will always come back to haunt you.

Never underestimate the power of a group of folks who have faced hell and high water(literally!) together or a group of young guys trying to show why they belong there...they will come together at the right time to do great things.

They have a shot, a legitimate shot. Their schedule favors them(at home vs. their competition) and they have their core guys back that were missing for the bulk of their troublesome days. It ain't over until it's over.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

It's certainly possible. If the Sox can stay hot for the rest of the year, the schedule is on their side. The three AL Central teams will beat each other up for the rest of the season, giving an opening for the Sox. Still, making up 6 games with 23 to go (or 8 if you're looking at the division), with two teams in the way, is very daunting. Can the Sox win 6 more games than the Twins in their last 23? It could be too little too late at this point, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Comment

I'd agree it's not over. When some Yankee "fan" (not even representative of the ones here) posted some smack about Boston losing, I'd mentioned in some bulleted reply that Boston wasn't done yet. I still feel that way. It's not automatic that the Yanks will run roughshod over all opponents, nor that Boston will fold like the proverbial lawn chair.

Neither team can look at prior months, but have to win every single game, regardless of opponent. Until the very day that you see "eliminated" from either the division race or the WC, I'd say that neither the BOS or NYY teams nor their fans can just think it's over as if it's a "given".

May a September of great baseball be in the works for all to enjoy!
            Last edited by Mattingly; 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Anything is possible. Say the Yankees go into a little funk now and lose three in a row and Boston wins three in a row (including last night). The division lead is down to 6. Then say it holds steady until Boston comes to New York, and then sweeps the Yankees, the lead is down to 2, and then anything can happen.

Comment

Sure, we're still in it. I know a lot of people oppose the Wild Card, but it sure keeps a lot of teams in the race who would be totally out of it months before the season's end.

And of course in this case, at the risk of getting greedy, it could be the division lead just as well. We don't yet have to settle for just the Wild Card, even though it would be perfectly acceptable.

We still have to remember that a lot of things have to happen for us to get there, and we're now at the point that we can't just back in to the playoffs without even doing that well on our own. We've backed in before, and while it certainly beats sitting out the playoffs, it doesn't beat it by much. We can't back in this time.

Comment

Sure. There is still a month to play.

And now Tek, Gonzalez and Trot Nixon are back from the DL it can only be better. I bet Tek can give this team an enormous boost. Would be nice to keep the AL pennant race interesting.

Comment

I never gave up at one point since we never fell 10 plus games behide and were still in the rear view mirror. Not shocking, but other Sox fans gave up quite fast without looking at the schedule. The relief came to our offense this week with the return of every regular the past three days. The pitching will remain the question mark, but I think it can hold up.

The biggest concern would be the Twins. The White Sox schedule seem too brutal for them. If the Red Sox get ahead of them, I believe we can hold them off. The Twins' schedule not as brutal, but the Sox can damage them by sweeping them. We just have to hope the Tigers get their situation sorted out, because the Twins might over take them.

It's possible, but a lot got to go the Sox win. I'm worried about the Yankee series to be honest. If they man handle us again, we're in big trouble. Since we at home against the Royals and D-Rays, I believe we'll take care of business against them. 5-1 what I'm looking for. Same goes with taking 5 out of 6 from the O's.

Comment

Not giving up untill Math proves our chances otherwise. KEEP THE FAITH!

Comment

Keep the Faith , we can do it ...

Comment

i still think they have a shot, but not a much bigger one than the blue jays.

i mean the sox clearly have the better chance of the 2, but at this point their both so close to 0% that they're practically the same.

if the sox win tonight, and then win 9 or 10 of their next 12 games, i'll start thinking about it.

but the strength of schedule is irrelevant to me because the red sox are so much worse than the twins or the white sox right now. i mean the red sox playing the devil rays is like the white sox playing the rangers. so until the red sox can show that they can both pitch and hit again, preferably at the same time, i give them about a 1% chance.
                          Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Anyone have a guess at how many wins Boston will end up with this season?
                            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I'm not throwing in the towel yet.
                              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X