Papelbon says he wants to be a starter in '07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papelbon says he wants to be a starter in '07

He said today he wont pitch again this year and he plans to come back next year as a starter.

I dont have a link for it, just saw it on ESPN. Im pretty happy with this, as ive wanted him to be a starter all along. I think our rotation next year would be pretty weak without him.

If that's the case, I wonder who's going to be closing. I sure know it's not going to be Timlin in 07. I'm not too high on 07 FA of closers. None of them look all that impressive.

Comment

Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2589493
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Hansen is terrible too...We have one problem solved: Starter and one problem more: Closer.
        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan
          Hansen is terrible too...We have one problem solved: Starter and one problem more: Closer.

Tis why i hope they sign LaTroy Hawkins.

Comment

I don't think Hansen is terrible, Swiss...I just think he was rushed this season.
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

If Papelbon does join the rotation and Boston decides to pick up an arm, here's a list of potential free-agent pitchers with closer experience for next season: Eric Gagne, Bob Wickman, Danys Baez, Joe Borowski, Miguel Batista, Jose Mesa, Octavio Dotel and LaTroy Hawkins.

The Sox also might make a move for Lidge, who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                Tis why i hope they sign LaTroy Hawkins.

Not me. I've never been much of a fan of his. I wonder if Bryan Corey or Craig Breslow would be able to do it. I think Foulke is out. I doubt the Sox will pick up his option.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                  I don't think Hansen is terrible, Swiss...I just think he was rushed this season.
                  Well maybe he is just another Yankee supporter. I dont know how he can pitch for the Red Sox being a former Yankee fan. Anyway.

I would sign Eric Gagne and Octavio Dotel. Gagne having consistent injury problems. Dotel will be fine again next year. If Gagne is healthy he is exceptional. Or the Red Sox go with another pitcher of the farnsystem, like the Orioles with Ray, Milwaukee with Turnbow or get a good farmhand from another team like the Rangers from San Diego in Otsuka.

Comment

I agree. in May '05, Hansen was still pitching in college. He needs experience and polish. I hope his hard season this year hasn't mentally dented him.
                    Last edited by VTSoxFan; 09-15-2006, 05:34 PM.
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

Well maybe he is just another Yankee supporter. I dont know how he can pitch for the Red Sox being a former Yankee fan. Anyway.

I would sign Eric Gagne and Octavio Dotel. Gagne having consistent injury problems. Dotel will be fine again next year. If Gagne is healthy he is exceptional. Or the Red Sox go with another pitcher of the farnsystem, like the Orioles with Ray, Milwaukee with Turnbow or Texas with Otsuka.

I wouldnt rush the two guys that have missed the most time over the last two years. Id love if they would make a move for lidge, as much as i hear Houston fans whine about him, hes still a very good pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6

Not me. I've never been much of a fan of his. I wonder if Bryan Corey or Craig Breslow would be able to do it. I think Foulke is out. I doubt the Sox will pick up his option.

I agree that Hawkins would be a bad move for us. He'll be 34, and I don't believe he's going to get back to the few solid seasons he's had.

I'm also 99.999% sure that Foulke will be long gone next season (please, please, please ).

Edit: We're all missing the game right about now, eh?

Comment

Or pick up Borowski as setup man and Wickman as acloser. would be also fine. There are plenty of solutions...

Comment

I agree that Hawkins would be a bad move for us. He'll be 34, and I don't believe he's going to get back to the few solid seasons he's had.

I'm also 99.999% sure that Foulke will be long gone next season (please, please, please ).
                            Well i dont want to sign Hawkins for a 4 year deal or anything, buy whatever we can get will be better than Foulke or Bryan Corey. Hawkins still has closer stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                              Well i dont want to sign Hawkins for a 4 year deal or anything, buy whatever we can get will be better than Foulke or Bryan Corey. Hawkins still has closer stuff.
                              You're right...he hasn't been horrific this season by any means. I'd just like to do better, that's all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X