Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember Spaceman Bill Lee?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remember Spaceman Bill Lee?

    I was surfing the net the other day when i came across an interesting trailer for a movie. Do you remember the 70s & 80s pitcher Bill Lee? Apparently he has a movie ou--t or coming out soon...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cewha8jtOLI

    Anyone know anything else about this... Where I can get a DVD if available? I always wanted to know what that guy's story is.

  • #2
    I had the privilige of meeting the Spaceman back in June before a Red Sox game. He recently came out with a book and was in the Crown Royal room at Fenway with Joe Castiglione. I don't agree with all of his views, but he's entertaining nonetheless. And get this--he personalized my book "To Don"--my name is Mike! Go figure. . .:noidea

    BTW, if anyone knows a Red Sox fan named Don and would like the book really cheap (as in FREE, just pay for the postage), send me a PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I saw the movie on NESN -- they ran two consecutve showings of it in June (2 hours of NESN with no commercials!!) and have run in during rain delays a couple times since. I loved it -- it told about his tenure with the Sox and their rancourous parting; the brawl in which Nettles destroyed Spaceman's shoulder -- and best of all, the branstorming tour around Cuba. It's a wonderful film, if you ask me. The music is wicked cool, too.

      I have an autograph from Spaceman -- "To Annie -- Best wishes -- Bill Lee -- Earth, 2003." It's hanging from the autographed photo of him (in the spacesuit) I received for Xmas last year... I also saw him play in an Over-40 League game in '04, on a scruffy diamond in Waterbury, VT. His love for The Game is palpable.

      He's one of my faves.
      --Annie
      Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
      Remember Yellowdog
      ABNY

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by VTSoxFan
        I saw the movie on NESN -- they ran two consecutve showings of it in June (2 hours of NESN with no commercials!!) and have run in during rain delays a couple times since. I loved it -- it told about his tenure with the Sox and their rancourous parting; the brawl in which Nettles destroyed Spaceman's shoulder -- and best of all, the branstorming tour around Cuba. It's a wonderful film, if you ask me. The music is wicked cool, too.

        I have an autograph from Spaceman -- "To Annie -- Best wishes -- Bill Lee -- Earth, 2003." It's hanging from the autographed photo of him (in the spacesuit) I received for Xmas last year... I also saw him play in an Over-40 League game in '04, on a scruffy diamond in Waterbury, VT. His love for The Game is palpable.

        He's one of my faves.
        I also loved this movie too, and it's one of my favorite baseball movies ever. It also made Bill Lee one of my favorite Red Sox player ever, he's like a modern day Satchel Paige.

        Comment


        • #5
          Notice my avatar?
          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Love it! The Spaceman is second on my all-time favorite players list, after a certain Canadian left-hander who pitches for the Baltimore franchise.

            He always wrote "Earth" after he signed his name... guess he REALLY didn't like being called "Spaceman".

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Erik Bedard
              Love it! The Spaceman is second on my all-time favorite players list, after a certain Canadian left-hander who pitches for the Baltimore franchise.

              He always wrote "Earth" after he signed his name... guess he REALLY didn't like being called "Spaceman".
              So you're a Adam Loewen fan...

              Grew up watching Lee in Fenway and the little reference to Stan Papi was something that people spray painted all over the outside of Fenway after Spaceman was exiled to The Expos (no, I wasn't one of the "signees").

              I still think The Gerbil blew it in '78 by not using Lee. what's funny is that I know Zimmer fans who blame Lee for it, saying Lee was too stoned all the time...right.

              And you can probably guess what name and number is on my Red Sox road jersey.

              He also signed my copy of The Wrong Stuff with "Earth" as well...
              Attached Files
              sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Yup, they benched him and then traded him because he didn't conform, and think of what it cost! Wasn't he NL Left-handed pitcher of the year or something after he was booted out of Boston?

                He might have been stoned once in a while, but he wasn't stoned for two solid months.
                --Annie
                Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                Remember Yellowdog
                ABNY

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SDL
                  So you're a Adam Loewen fan...

                  Grew up watching Lee in Fenway and the little reference to Stan Papi was something that people spray painted all over the outside of Fenway after Spaceman was exiled to The Expos (no, I wasn't one of the "signees").

                  I still think The Gerbil blew it in '78 by not using Lee. what's funny is that I know Zimmer fans who blame Lee for it, saying Lee was too stoned all the time...right.

                  And you can probably guess what name and number is on my Red Sox road jersey.

                  He also signed my copy of The Wrong Stuff with "Earth" as well...
                  Loewen and the other one, whose name I can't seem to remember.

                  from Red Sox Nation by Peter Golenbock...

                  "Lee had the nickname of "The Spaceman," a sobriquet that he has always firmly rejected. In fact, when asked for an autograph, Lee will sign his name and then write in bold letters, "EARTH."

                  "Zimmer resented Bill Lee so much that he wanted to release him outright in late July, only to be thwarted by the front office."

                  "Lee, especially, made his contempt for Zimmer public. Even though these players were crucial to the success of the Red Sox, Zimmer could not curb his feelings about them and he retaliated by trading away the Buffalo Heads one by one."

                  "With the sale of Bernie Carbo to Cleveland on June 15, 1978, only one Buffalo Head remained on the Red Sox -- Bill Lee -- and to show his disdain for their sale of Carbo, he not only criticized Zimmer and the Red Sox management to reporters, he then staged a one-day strike."

                  "Zimmer had sought to release Lee the year before, but had been stopped by management. The pitcher had returned to prove his manager wrong about him, winning ten games going into July of 1978. But Lee underestimated how much Zimmer resented his constant criticism. Zimmer bided his time. When the Red Sox built a fourteen-game lead in July, Zimmer benched his tormentor, with the expectation that the Red Sox would win te pennnant without the Spaceman. It was what Boston manager Bill Carrigan had done to teach the young Babe Ruth a lesson many years earlier. But this time Zimmer figured wrong."

                  "The Red Sox were in Seattle for their final game of the disastrous road swing. Pitcher Mike Torrez was talking with manager Zimmer when Lee came over. Lee asked, "Hey, Skip, is it all right if I do my running? I'm supposed to pitch the first game in Boston, right?" Zimmer replied, "You're not pitching. We're bringing in Bobby Sprowl from Pawtucket. You're pitching in the bullpen now."

                  Mike Torrez: "I thought he meant they were going to pitch Sprowl for just one game. We had a big lead at the time, so it's no big deal. But I'm wondering what he's going to do that for. Bobby Sprowl never beat anybody."

                  "Bill Lee, who had a career 12-5 record against the Yankees, didn't start any of the four games in Boston, and the Red Sox lost all of them. All were routs: 15-3, 13-2, 7-0, and 7-4."

                  "Bobby Sprowl started the finale. He began by walking Mickey Rivers and Willie Randolph, lasted two-thirds of an inning, and was charged with three runs. The Yankees quickly led 6-0, and coasted to victory. The Red Sox were outscored 41-9 and outhit 84-29. The four starters selected by Zimmer - Torrez, Wright, Eckersley, and Sprowl - retired a total of twenty batters."

                  -- from Red Sox Nation by Peter Golenbock.

                  That might just be the longest post I've ever made. I need to go take a nap.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Mr. Lee was kind enough to sign a card I sent to him through the mail. It took a while for him to respond, but he did.

                    In fact, it took him so long to respond that postage had gone up 2 cents since I'd mailed him my SASE...and he added the extra postage so I'd get my card back.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Bill Lee on Radio

                      Hey,
                      Saturday I was listening to the radio and they were talking about the Spaceman Movie. They said Bill will be in Brattle theater in Harvard Square on Tuesday signing autographs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bill Lee: A spaceman's oddseyy will be replayed this sunday at 9pm on NESN.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Spaceman in Stores

                          Spaceman: A Baseball Odyssey is available at Borders, Best Buy and Amazon.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Josh Dixon
                            Spaceman: A Baseball Odyssey is available at Borders, Best Buy and Amazon.com
                            Please! Let it be available down here in Tampa Bay!
                            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                              "Lee, especially, made his contempt for Zimmer public. Even though these players were crucial to the success of the Red Sox, Zimmer could not curb his feelings about them and he retaliated by trading away the Buffalo Heads one by one."
                              After the infamous brawl that had Pedro tossing Zim to the ground, Bill Lee expressed his admiration by saying, "It ain't easy to grab a bowling ball by the ears!"

                              2007 World Series Champions
                              The Boston Red Sox

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X