Free Agent Starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agent Starters

To be honest i'm writing this down for my own good more than anything else, it's something i realized just recently.

Player A is a LHP, 28 Years Old

ERA IP HR/9 BB/9 SO/9
    3.30 231.7 .6 3.4 5.4
    4.48 213.0 1.0 3.1 6.4
    3.86 228.3 1.0 3.5 6.7
    3.91 207.3 0.9 3.9 5.8

Player B is a LHP, 27 Years Old

ERA IP HR/9 BB/9 SO/9
    4.14 230.3 0.8 2.2 4.5
    3.89 245.3 1.0 1.5 5.8
    3.12 236.7 0.7 1.3 5.8
    4.79 199.3 1.2 1.8 4.3

I've been, and really still am, a huge fan of Barry Zito (Player A), and have been dying for the red sox to sign him. I still hope they do, and think they will at least pursue him seriously.

But i was looking at Buehrle's numbers (Player B), and he's really 90% percent as good, and it at least feels like he's gonna get paid alot, lot less because of the fact he's having a bad 06 where Zito's having one of his better years.

Zito's pitched in a big pitcher's park, Buhrle's pitched in a big hitter's park. Which could be huge because one of Zito's HR Rate is probably his most impressive trait as a pitcher.

I think if they went at equal prices, i'd still take zito over buehrle, but i think zito will get paid a considerably larger sum than buehrle, so buehrle might be the better pickup overall

which'd you rather have, given the salaries they're likely to get?
    Gelatin Fernandalism

Originally posted by PhilWings24
    To be honest i'm writing this down for my own good more than anything else, it's something i realized just recently.

Player A is a LHP, 28 Years Old

ERA IP HR/9 BB/9 SO/9
    3.30 231.7 .6 3.4 5.4
    4.48 213.0 1.0 3.1 6.4
    3.86 228.3 1.0 3.5 6.7
    3.91 207.3 0.9 3.9 5.8

Player B is a LHP, 27 Years Old

ERA IP HR/9 BB/9 SO/9
    4.14 230.3 0.8 2.2 4.5
    3.89 245.3 1.0 1.5 5.8
    3.12 236.7 0.7 1.3 5.8
    4.79 199.3 1.2 1.8 4.3

I've been, and really still am, a huge fan of Barry Zito (Player A), and have been dying for the red sox to sign him. I still hope they do, and think they will at least pursue him seriously.

But i was looking at Buehrle's numbers (Player B), and he's really 90% percent as good, and it at least feels like he's gonna get paid alot, lot less because of the fact he's having a bad 06 where Zito's having one of his better years.

Zito's pitched in a big pitcher's park, Buhrle's pitched in a big hitter's park. Which could be huge because one of Zito's HR Rate is probably his most impressive trait as a pitcher.

I think if they went at equal prices, i'd still take zito of buehrle, but i think zito will get paid a considerably larger sum than buehrle, so buehrle might be the better pickup overall

which'd you rather have, given the salaries they're likely to get?
    Id still rather have Zito i guess, althought its close.

But Buehrles option will probably be picked up anyway, so i dont think the decision will have to be made by any front office.

Comment

damnit lol, i'd forgotten about the option.

it is 9.75 million though, maybe Kenny Williams will get too worried about his season this year and leave it unexcersized...that's a decent amount of money..

i'm still big on Zito, i'm just dreading him getting overpaid and getting labeled as boston's new "ace," like what happened to beckett.

zito is an aobve average innings eater, but should probably be thought of as a #2 or 3 guy, at least given the kind of rotation the sox'll need to build to win the division.

also, zito's agent is boras, so my hopes of him taking a discount to play in boston (i've heard him say more than once he loves the city, particularly the music scene) are probably not going to come to fruition.
      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Zito makes me nervous as a big payday type pitcher. While I'd love to see a solid lefty in the middle of the rotation, Zito feels like a guy who would make 14 million and go 14-10. It just feels like a bad fit in Boston/Fenway.

I have very little to plead my case other than much doubt about taking a pitcher out of the Oakland playing Tex/Anaheim/Seattle and throwing him in Fenway playing the Yankees and Toronto.

Comment

Yes, but we need starting pitchers. And there isnt too many option on the FA market. Id rather take my chances with a Cy Young winner.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWings24
            damnit lol, i'd forgotten about the option.

it is 9.75 million though, maybe Kenny Williams will get too worried about his season this year and leave it unexcersized...that's a decent amount of money..

i'm still big on Zito, i'm just dreading him getting overpaid and getting labeled as boston's new "ace," like what happened to beckett.

zito is an aobve average innings eater, but should probably be thought of as a #2 or 3 guy, at least given the kind of rotation the sox'll need to build to win the division.

also, zito's agent is boras, so my hopes of him taking a discount to play in boston (i've heard him say more than once he loves the city, particularly the music scene) are probably not going to come to fruition.
            The rumor was that we offered Crisp for Buhrle (sp) during the trading period, but they rejected it. I wouldn't be surprised if they try a similar trade this offseason. The White Sox were counting on him improving as the season went, however that didn't really happen, so I'd expect the Red Sox to try something like that even if the White Sox make the option. The look for a guy like Torii Hunter to get signed possibly. The Red Sox have also been pretty high on him for a while now.

Comment

I feel and hope that the Sox get Andrew Jones for CF next year. I have a feeling they are going to do it. The will really need to add pitching as well, but i think the pen will get the most makeover. I see Schill, Beckett, Papelbon, Wake, and Lester if healthy...maybe Clement #5 or in the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                The rumor was that we offered Crisp for Buhrle (sp) during the trading period, but they rejected it. I wouldn't be surprised if they try a similar trade this offseason.The White Sox were counting on him improving as the season went, however that didn't really happen, so I'd expect the Red Sox to try something like that even if the White Sox make the option.
                That's one possibility where i wouldn't mind coco getting dealt. i really, REALLY hope they don't trade him for the sake of trading him, its ridiculous how in boston (or new york or philly), playing through injury for a season and doing poorly means you're done, despite your impressive track record.

Also i find it hilarious that the reason people are SO low on him is that he keeps getting compared to JD, who had a worse season than this when he was 27.

gr...gets me worked up, the criticism of coco i hear out there

Originally posted by Jager
                The look for a guy like Torii Hunter to get signed possibly. The Red Sox have also been pretty high on him for a while now.
                Have they? what makes ya say that?

I have no reason to think they aren't, but i've never heard they are, and he doesn't walk a ton and is a little overrated defensively (still pretty good though)
                Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Last offseason I heard his name thrown around before we signed Crisp, and it would make sense this year, because if we did trade Coco, Hunter is a FA. I heard Gammons say it a few times last year.

Comment

Ah k, i didn't follow this year's offseason as much as usual so i guess that slipped by me.
                    Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X