Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Towers is glad Mirabelli is gone

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Towers is glad Mirabelli is gone

    Check out the story... I love his quote where he says that he wished he could have traded him to the Yankees.

    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...19padside.html

  • #2
    Reported earlier at the start of the season he wasn't a popular guy, borderline clubhouse cancer(no pun intended). No big surprise that his actions would follow him there. I doubt he stays in Boston beyond this year.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by efin98
      Reported earlier at the start of the season he wasn't a popular guy, borderline clubhouse cancer(no pun intended). No big surprise that his actions would follow him there. I doubt he stays in Boston beyond this year.
      I don't know about Mirabelli being a "cancer," but I do do know that those remarks make Towers sound like a big baby. Why would this story come out now?
      "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by maximum jack
        I don't know about Mirabelli being a "cancer," but I do do know that those remarks make Towers sound like a big baby. Why would this story come out now?
        Big baby? You have got to be kidding me. The only baby there is Mirabelli whining left and right.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by efin98
          Big baby? You have got to be kidding me. The only baby there is Mirabelli whining left and right.
          Agreed. If Mirabelli was whining left and right as Towers claims, then he too was quite immature. But Towers crying about a personal meeting to the press-- four months later-- is ridiculous. Again, I ask what's his motive?
          "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, let this be a lesson to the Theo bashers...other GM's aren't perfect, either.

            After all, Towers:

            1) Traded an all-star caliber second baseman for a backup catcher who obviously didn't want to be there.

            2) Acquired another catcher, pissing off the former backup. Instead of having a "coming to god" meeting with catcher #1 right away, he let it fester, potentially causing clubhouse issues.

            3) He traded said catcher back to his original team for two unproven not-so-young players (who have since worked out great, but were both "damaged goods" at the time).

            4) Thought about trading a player "for spite".

            5) Went to the media with it four months later.

            Say what you want about Theo, but he keeps problems in house, and doesn't cry to the papers.

            I think Kevin Towers is a good GM, but again, they're all human, and they all make mistakes.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

            Comment


            • #7
              Lets get this straight, because i hate when people say stuff like "he went to the media with it". People almost never actually go to the media with stuff. Towers was probably asked questions about it, and he answered them. Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut, but i doubt he went up to a reporter and said "Want to know what I think about Mirabelli?"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EvanAparra
                Lets get this straight, because i hate when people say stuff like "he went to the media with it". People almost never actually go to the media with stuff. Towers was probably asked questions about it, and he answered them. Maybe he should have just kept his mouth shut, but i doubt he went up to a reporter and said "Want to know what I think about Mirabelli?"
                It's quite possible the reporter lied to Mirabelli, but the Globe article does say:

                "``It's unbelievable that five months later that something like this comes out. Talking to [columnist] Tim Sullivan, it was pretty much unprovoked. They were talking about the Red Sox coming to Petco and how there are ties there with Larry Lucchino and Theo Epstein and that they used to work there, and Doug Mirabelli comes up."
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Its just very sketchy, "mirabelli just 'came' up".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here is an AP update on the Doug Mirabelli story....

                    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2595366

                    c.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                      Here is an AP update on the Doug Mirabelli story....

                      http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2595366

                      c.
                      I liked this part at the end from Mirabelli:

                      "The big sign will be if there's guys that are in that clubhouse that know me and if asked and they don't come to my defense in this situation then Kevin Towers is right, maybe I did do something wrong," Mirabelli said, "but I find that hard to believe that they won't come to my defense."
                      Haven't seen anyone come to your defense yet Doug...

                      Anyway, I don't get what the big hoopla is. He's a backup catcher that can't hit his weight, strikeouts about a 1/3 of his ABs, and whose lone asset that sets him apart from all the other light-hitting backup catchers is that he can effectively catch the knuckleball. If a team doesn't have a knuckleballer, and most teams do not, he's very expendable, as light-hitting backup catchers are a dime-a-dozen. Given that the Sox have a knuckleballer, he makes sense for the Sox, and he does have a little pop, but otherwise, what's the big deal? Why should anyone care? I'm sure every team has a few disgruntled and disruptive marginal players that have an inflated sense of their worth to the team and their own abilities. I don't get why there is all this focus on Mirabelli.

                      I also thought Towers got hosed by the Sox when he gave up Loretta, a very good starting 2Bman, for Mirabelli, a career backup catcher - the Sox pulled off a coup with that one. But I think Towers made up for that by prying Cla Meredith and Josh Bard from the Sox in return of Mirabelli.
                      Last edited by DoubleX; 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DoubleX
                        I liked this part at the end from Mirabelli:



                        Haven't seen anyone come to your defense yet Doug...

                        Anyway, I don't get what the big hoopla is. He's a backup catcher that can't hit his weight, strikeouts about a 1/3 of his ABs, and whose lone asset is that he can effectively catch the knuckleball. If a team doesn't have a knuckleballer, and most teams do not, he's very expendable, as light-hitting backup catchers are a dime-a-dozen. Given that the Sox have a knuckleballer, he makes sense for the Sox, and he does have a little pop, but otherwise, what's the big deal? Why should anyone care? I'm sure every team has a few disgruntled and disruptive marginal players that have an inflated sense of their worth to the team and their own abilities. I don't get why there is all this focus on Mirabelli.

                        I thought Towers got hosed by the Sox when he gave up Loretta, a very good starting 2Bman, for Mirabelli, a career backup catcher. But I think he made up for that by prying Cla Meredith and Josh Bard from the Sox in return of Mirabelli.
                        Agreed. We had definately gotten the best out of Towers, a little work could have made Bard able to catch Wake, instead we made a hurried and ill-advised trade.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by EvanAparra
                          Agreed. We had definately gotten the best out of Towers, a little work could have made Bard able to catch Wake, instead we made a hurried and ill-advised trade.
                          I'd rather have Bard on my team than Mirabelli because he's younger and has a significantly better bat. However, Bard really could not catch that knuckleball at all - he was terrible and the Sox had to find something else if they were resolved to not use Varitek with Wakefield (which is understandable, given the higher risk of injury to a catcher when catching the knuckleball). They could have called up Ken Huckaby, who probably would have been better at catching the knuckler (though not hitting), but that would be wasting Bard. Bard had some value in a trade because of his offensive potential, so the Sox made the right move in shipping him out given their unique need. Now the Sox mistake was being so desperate to reacquire Mirabelli. The Padres picked up on that and milked the Sox for Meredith and Bard which was much, much to high for Mirabelli. I'd say that Bard alone would probably be too high, but I could certainly understand that given the Sox need for Mirabelli's expertise at catching the knuckler.

                          Nevertheless, I'm still scratching my head on why the Padres traded Loretta for Mirabelli. Yeah, the Padres were dealing from surplus as they wanted to make room for rookie Josh Barfield, who is projected to have a pretty high ceiling. Loretta for Meredith and Bard makes a lot more sense, and that's how it ended up.
                          Last edited by DoubleX; 09-20-2006, 12:36 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DoubleX
                            I'd rather have Bard on my team than Mirabelli because he's younger and has a significantly better bat. However, Bard really could not catch that knuckleball at all - he was terrible and the Sox had to find something else if they were resolved to not use Varitek with Wakefield (which is understandable, given the higher risk of injury to a catcher when catching the knuckleball). They could have called up Ken Huckaby, who probably would have been better at catching the knuckler (though not hitting), but that would be wasting Bard. Bard had some value in a trade because of his offensive potential, so the Sox made the right move in shipping him out given their unique need. Now the Sox mistake was being so desperate to reacquire Mirabelli. The Padres picked up on that and milked the Sox for Meredith and Bard which was much, much to high for Mirabelli. I'd say that Bard alone would probably be too high, but I could certainly understand that given the Sox need for Mirabelli's expertise at catching the knuckler.
                            I still dont think i agree on giving Bard, what, like 4 games to straighten up and catch Belli? The trade smelled of desperation, and giving up two good young players in specialized positions for a backup catch whom, like you said, cant hit his own weight, is just bad business. Is there no other catcher in the world that can catch a knuckleball? I mean, cmon, there has to be people out there. FA, minor leaguers.... Who's catching Charlie Zink??

                            They should have tried harder to not mortgage off young players for a stopgap every 5 days.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EvanAparra
                              I still dont think i agree on giving Bard, what, like 4 games to straighten up and catch Belli? The trade smelled of desperation, and giving up two good young players in specialized positions for a backup catch whom, like you said, cant hit his own weight, is just bad business. Is there no other catcher in the world that can catch a knuckleball? I mean, cmon, there has to be people out there. FA, minor leaguers.... Who's catching Charlie Zink??

                              They should have tried harder to not mortgage off young players for a stopgap every 5 days.
                              The unfortunate thing is for the Sox, and you can't really blame them for this because it's impossible to predict these things, is that when Varitek went down, Bard would have been a much better option than Mirabelli and Lopez, especially considering that Wakefield was hurt too so Mirabelli's purpose was negated.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X