No announcement yet.

Towers is glad Mirabelli is gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing back Mirabelli was also already well down the list of "plans" for catching Wakefield:

Plan A - John Flaherty, who came to spring training, but then retired

Plan B - Ken Huckaby, who hurt his knee in spring training and wasn't available.

Plan C - Bard. With 3-4 passed balls a game, he wasn't cutting it.

Am I glad they got Mirabelli back? Yes. Am I glad they gave up so much to get him? No. I believe the Yankees got involved and drove the price up for Boston.
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

You have to wonder if last winter Towers (who I have lost any respect for) would have accepted Meredith for Loretta straight-up. I was against them trading Mirabelli in the first place, given the fact that he is Wakefield's personal catcher. Bard was pathetic in the job.

What the Sox SHOULD do is send Mirabelli and Wakefield to Instructional and have then both work with some of the catchers in the system. Can't hurt to have more catchers learn how to handle knucklers..

"Clubhouse cancer"? How did Carl Everett get mentioned here?
      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
        Am I glad they got Mirabelli back? Yes. Am I glad they gave up so much to get him? No. I believe the Yankees got involved and drove the price up for Boston.
        I remember hearing something about that - makes sense. Though I'm glad the Yankees didn't end up with Mirabelli. I really like Sal Fasano. Sure he doesn't offer anything really different than Mirabelli (both are light-hitting with a little bit of pop, but pretty good defensively), but I really dig Fasano's mustache. It's like watching someone out of the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by SDL
          You have to wonder if last winter Towers (who I have lost any respect for) would have accepted Meredith for Loretta straight-up. I was against them trading Mirabelli in the first place, given the fact that he is Wakefield's personal catcher. Bard was pathetic in the job.
          Why have you lost all respect for Towers? Because of his comments? If so, I have to ask - Did you lose respect for Kevin Millar when he was publically lobbying against Manny Ramirez and Nomar Garciaparra and speaking ill of them while they were still his teammates, and while at the same time praising as superior Alex Rodriguez and Magglio Ordonez, who had not yet been acquired (and turned out, would not be)?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
            Why have you lost all respect for Towers? Because of his comments? If so, I have to ask - Did you lose respect for Kevin Millar when he was publically lobbying against Manny Ramirez and Nomar Garciaparra and speaking ill of them while they were still his teammates, and while at the same time praising as superior Alex Rodriguez and Magglio Ordonez, who had not yet been acquired (and turned out, would not be)?
            You expect stuff like that at the players level. When it all of a sudden comes out from a GM, it's pretty surprising and in Towers' case it appears to be vindictive for some reason. He trying to rub it in on how good Meredith has been?

Hmmm....it'll be intersting if Kottaras learns how to catch the knuckler...

Comment

Originally posted by SDL
              You expect stuff like that at the players level. When it all of a sudden comes out from a GM, it's pretty surprising and in Towers' case it appears to be vindictive for some reason. He trying to rub it in on how good Meredith has been?

Hmmm....it'll be intersting if Kottaras learns how to catch the knuckler...
              That's a valid point.

Another question...Even though you never wanted to see the team trade Mirabelli away, don't you think the Sox got a steal when they turned a backup catcher into a very good starting 2Bman in Mark Loretta?

Comment

That's a valid point.

Another question...Even though you never wanted to see the team trade Mirabelli away, don't you think the Sox got a steal when they turned a backup catcher into a very good starting 2Bman in Mark Loretta?
                I'm pleased with how Loretta has played, but you have to wonder if last winter, a Meredith and maybe a AA player could have gotten Loretta, bypassing Mirabelli. Of course, this might have affected the Coco Crisp deal in a way (the Bard for Shoppach portion of it).

You don't suppose Towers is a bit POd that he got snookered on the Wells for Kottaras deal, do you?

Comment

I remember hearing something about that - makes sense. Though I'm glad the Yankees didn't end up with Mirabelli. I really like Sal Fasano. Sure he doesn't offer anything really different than Mirabelli (both are light-hitting with a little bit of pop, but pretty good defensively), but I really dig Fasano's mustache. It's like watching someone out of the 70s.
                  Can't blame the Yankees for using their considerable resources to try to keep a player away from a competitor. But people tend to forget that that's why Mirabelli cost so much to reacquire.

Overall, trading with the Pads this year, the Sox got Loretta, 5/6 of a season of Mirabelli, and Kottaras for Meredith, Bard, and a month of Wells. I can live with that, especially since I think Meredith really needed a change of scenery.
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D.
                    Can't blame the Yankees for using their considerable resources to try to keep a player away from a competitor. But people tend to forget that that's why Mirabelli cost so much to reacquire.

Overall, trading with the Pads this year, the Sox got Loretta, 5/6 of a season of Mirabelli, and Kottaras for Meredith, Bard, and a month of Wells. I can live with that, especially since I think Meredith really needed a change of scenery.
                    And I bet Towers won't want to make any more deals with us...don't forget David Pauley for David Roberts. That deal I liked a lot...

Comment

hahah funny article...i'm under the impression mirabelli probably deserves his reputation as unprofessional, but he plays hard (at least for the red sox), and part of my likes the fact he was being such a jerk due to his love for the red sox.

so, stuff like that sorta makes me think less of him, but at the same time makes me like him more lol.
                      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by SDL
                        And I bet Towers won't want to make any more deals with us...don't forget David Pauley for David Roberts. That deal I liked a lot...
                        confused...i think that was clearly a smart deal, but also not one any red sox fan should like just because of robert's legend.

so is that sarcasm or no?

the sox and padres have been ripping each other off back and forth for a while, so i bet you'd find both of them tries to work with the other as much as possible.
                        Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X