Roger Clemens' Possible Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Clemens' Possible Return

If Clemens pitches again next year, which i think he will (if he pitches when he says he's retired, why wouldn't he when he hasn't commented on the situation?), alot of people think it will be for the red sox.

Its all been pure speculation, but the red sox clearly make more sense than anyone else.

What would you guys think of that, if it happened?

I personally would love it, assuming he didn't demand another 22million dollar salary.

I really think he'd be the best individual signing the sox could make, assuming buerhle isn't available, from a business side.

combine that with what a great story it would be, that could be great.

it would be the best if he was willing to be the closer, and if he wasn't that'd give us 6 (or 7, counting clement) starters and no closers. we'd make room for him though.

whata you guys think?
    Gelatin Fernandalism

The more I think about it the more I just don't want him. I definetely wanted him for this year, but that's at least partly because our rotation was in shambles. I hope we don't have to go through all this junk again next year. Clemens is great, but he's already missed time this year, when the Astros were in the thick of the playoff hunt, and he only pitched 1/2 a season anyways, and he still got hurt. He's waaaay too expensive to pitch only half a season, and still get hurt and miss a few starts. That's my opinion on that. I think we need a real starter who can log some innings, and pitch effectively, not another guy who pitches a limited number of innings, and misses starts while we're in the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWings24
      Its all been pure speculation, but the red sox clearly make more sense than anyone else.
      Why is that? If it was so clear, he probably would have signed with the Sox this year. A big thing for Clemens at this point in his career, appears to be his desire to stay near his home in Texas and not have to go on roadtrips. If he played in Boston, the whole season would be a roadtrip. Plus in the NL, he can more easily dominate as the lineups throughout the league are generally weaker and he doesn't have to deal with the DH. I think if there is a clear frontrunner at this point, it's the Astros, with the Rangers coming in 2nd because of the Texas thing. After that, I'd say Boston is probably in a similar boat with a number of other teams - the Yankees, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, White Sox, and perhaps a few others, could all be interested in Clemens and might have the resources to pull it off.

Boston fans might be waxing nostalgic for Clemens, but that doesn't mean the feeling is mutual on his end - I expect that if he plays and doesn't stay in Texas, he'll probably open himself up to the highest bidder, and that means Boston will likely be competing with at least a few other teams.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
        Why is that? If it was so clear, he probably would have signed with the Sox this year. A big thing for Clemens at this point in his career, appears to be his desire to stay near his home in Texas and not have to go on roadtrips. If he played in Boston, the whole season would be a roadtrip. Plus in the NL, he can more easily dominate as the lineups throughout the league are generally weaker and he doesn't have to deal with the DH. I think if there is a clear frontrunner at this point, it's the Astros, with the Rangers coming in 2nd because of the Texas thing. After that, I'd say Boston is probably in a similar boat with a number of other teams - the Yankees, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, White Sox, and perhaps a few others, could all be interested in Clemens and might have the resources to pull it off.

Boston fans might be waxing nostalgic for Clemens, but that doesn't mean the feeling is mutual on his end - I expect that if he plays and doesn't stay in Texas, he'll probably open himself up to the highest bidder, and that means Boston will likely be competing with at least a few other teams.
        Well i don't think it was all that clear this year. Houston was looking unimpressive but was by no means out of it, and looked to be needing help. by pitching for them, he gave himself an oppurtunity to be the hero, and hailed as the man who turned their season around. didn't work out so well.

I think you are right about his desire to stay home near texas, but i think you'd find that if he decided next year really was his last year, he'd be willing to leave texas.

I don't think the strength of the NL Lineups will make the slightest difference to him whatsoever. I think he wants to spend time with his family, win, go out with a bang where he's one of the main reasons his team DID win, and make more money. And i'd guess that it's more or less in that order.

And i think that while the Sox fans would love the fairy tale ending of him coming back to moston much more than clemens does (at least in regards to the "fairy tale" aspect of it), i'd be shocked if he doesn't have some extra interest in finishing with boston. for one, they're the only team that pursued him at the trade deadline, or they at least did so much more vehemently than any other team. I think he, as with any other athlete, was likely flattered by that, and i'd bet it further warmed him to the new sox regime (or at least further enforced that these are not the same guys who screwed him).

I think that if you come to him and convince him; the sox have a great team this year but we don't have a closer (or we need one more starter), and you could come back and singlehandedly fix that for this team, and lead them to the world series, that would make a big impression on him. I think he knows that sox fans would remember his final days MUCH more than any other team, and that he would likely get his number retired if he came over.

So this was a rather lengthy post that basically sums up as "i have no real clue where he'd want to pitch next year, and to be honest i'd be apprehensive about giving him more than 5 million dollars (not unwilling but apprehensive). but as far as i can see, he seems to be saying goodbye to houston, and boston has the strongest case outside of houston."
        Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWings24
          So this was a rather lengthy post that basically sums up as "i have no real clue where he'd want to pitch next year, and to be honest i'd be apprehensive about giving him more than 5 million dollars (not unwilling but apprehensive). but as far as i can see, he seems to be saying goodbye to houston, and boston has the strongest case outside of houston."
          I just don't see that. The Rangers pursued him aggressively last year, and they have the added advantage of being in Texas, so I'd have to say that they'd be at least as likely as Boston, if not moreso, to land him. The Yankees also have to be factored in. The Yankees have never done anything but praised Clemens, and his departure from the team was on good terms. Clemens has stated that he wants to go into the Hall as a Yankee (though that won't happen and shouldn't happen). Whereas, he has a much more bitter history with the Sox, especially regarding his leaving the team, and I bet that sticks with him still. Plus the Yankees might open up the purse strings more for Clemens. Beyond that, the LA teams could be a factor as both are competitive and routinely show a willingness to try to lure big names.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Clemens returned to the Sox, but to say that they are the most likely destination seems like a bit of wishful thinking right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
            I just don't see that. The Rangers pursued him aggressively last year, and they have the added advantage of being in Texas, so I'd have to say that they'd be at least as likely as Boston, if not moreso, to land him. The Yankees also have to be factored in. The Yankees have never done anything but praised Clemens, and his departure from the team was on good terms. Clemens has stated that he wants to go into the Hall as a Yankee (though that won't happen and shouldn't happen). Whereas, he has a much more bitter history with the Sox, especially regarding his leaving the team, and I bet that sticks with him still. Plus the Yankees might open up the purse strings more for Clemens. Beyond that, the LA teams could be a factor as both are competitive and routinely show a willingness to try to lure big names.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Clemens returned to the Sox, but to say that they are the most likely destination seems like a bit of wishful thinking right now.
            I dont see it being wishful thinking to say the sox are the frontrunner, if in fact he wont return to Houston. He said it came down to Houston and Boston last year, and i dont see why much would have changed. Im sure the Red Sox will offer him just as big a contract as the Rangers, maybe even the Yanks.

The difference with Texas and Boston is quite simple...In Boston, he'd be pitching on a big stage, and probably in a pennant race... In Texas, he would be pitching for a mediocre team that probably has a 20% chance to make the playoffs. Texas was also the first team he supposedly "eliminated" last year. He has also never played for the Rangers, and i doubt starting up with a new team is really something he wants to do at this point in his career. His house is in Houston, not Dallas. (those cities arent as close as you might think)

I also really doubt he still has a bitterness towards the Sox... They pretty much kissed his feet asking him to come back last year, and with new ownership, GM, manager, i dont see a reason why he would hold ill feelings towards the Sox, and I think he would be a little stupid if he did.

I think the Yankees and Red Sox both have fair chances to acquire his services next year, and since the Red Sox have been a lot more vocal about it, and were his second choice behind Houston this year, i'd call them the frontrunners. Who knows though? I never thought he would go to the NL in the first place.

Comment

He will sign a contract with the Red Sox. Either to play the 2007 season or just to become a Red Sox for a day and retire as one. Then the 21 will be retired and Josh Beckett will be stuck with 19 forever.

Comment

He will NEVER sign a one-day contract to retire as a Sox. That junk is played out, usually happens in only football, and Roger doesnt seem like the type of guy to pull that kinda thing.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X