No announcement yet.

What do you do with a guy like Tavarez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with a guy like Tavarez?

This one is pretty simple, but what do you do with Tavarez. Conventional wisdom says that he's a reliever, however he's pitched so much better as a starter you at least have to consider it. With that said, do you just trade him, and get good value for him, or do you consider him for our rotation, or just keep him a reliever? I honestly don't know. I've seen him pitch as a starter, and he looks so much better starting, he just looks much more confident out there.

Today's game:
    9IP 6H 1ER

That's our second complete game of the year, and it was by a "reliever" lol.
    I just want to get everyone else's ideas about this.

Yeah . . . don't know. The Sox are 4-1 in his five starts. He has definately been more reliable in the starter role this year, but maybe he's just streaky, and if he had been in his normal reliever role, he may have gone through a similar, dominant stretch.
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

i say give him a shot at the #5 slot. Lester might not be ready and i have really seen enough of Clement. Tavares looks alot better as a starter than in relief. Maybe this is his calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
        i say give him a shot at the #5 slot. Lester might not be ready and i have really seen enough of Clement. Tavares looks alot better as a starter than in relief. Maybe this is his calling.
        Yeah i'd agree with that. If he's doin well there then give him a chance to continue
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Red Sox, you are the only only only!
        [/SIZE]

Comment

--Dude's been around for 14 years. In the three seasons he started more than relieved his ERA+ were 66, 94 and 74. He might not be the worst 5th starter you could find, but he doesn't have alot of upside either.

Comment

the things that make us dislike clement are part of tavarez's makeup, too. the things that make us like clement, however, are not. julian's got all the shaky makeup, all the inconsistency, all the lack of composure of clement, but none of the stuff, none of upside.

And he's started alot in the past, and has never done well.

I'd say open trade discussions about him, see if someone puts too much stock in these few outings, but if the sox don't get a good offer, i'd say keep him. he's been a consistently solid reliever his entire career, and he's not old enough yet so that there's any reason to be particularly confident taht he won't rebound from this year.
            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

I'm not sure we can count on Lester ever, much less for 2007. Henry and Co. are going to have to open their pocketbooks this offseason if we're going to be in contention in 2007.

Comment

He should be a spot starter out of the bullpen. But if someones hurt or is doing crappy then put Tavarez in the rotation.

Btw, Dr. Tavarez owes us $1,000.

EDIT:
                Here's the quote about Manny from Julian.

"He's done. Take my word, I know," pitcher Julian Tavarez said Wednesday. "If he has one more at-bat, I'll give you one thousand dollars."

And Manny pinch-hit and took a walk..so our checks should be in the mail soon.
                Last edited by rwolfe09; 09-23-2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Yup, im waiting for my check.

Comment

Originally posted by rwolfe09
                    And Manny pinch-hit and took a walk..so our checks should be in the mail soon.
                    An at bat doesn't count as an at bat, though...so Tavarez might get off on a techicality.
                    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X