Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you want Nomar on the team in '07?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhilWings24
    i'd only want him if he'd sign a small contract filled with incentives, which i don't think he would.

i really don't like injury proneness in any player that isn't lights out when healthy (meaning i could look past pedro's injuries and trot's haven't bothered me cus we've had a ocnsistently good backup for him every year).
    I agree with you about the contract incentives...good point.

I'm not wild about his brittle bone disease, either, but I still think he'd be an upgrade next season. He certainly has more pop in his bat as a first baseman than Youk does.

I guess I also like the whole notion of a potential homecoming.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

He probably would be an improvement over youk, you're right, but i don't think it'd be gigantic one way or the other, and i think Nomar would make litearlly about 30 times as much as youk is making, maybe a little less (youk's making 330, i bet nomar'll get at least 8,000,000 a year).

The homecoming i'm hopin for is Rocket. when nomar first came up i liked him cus he was screwed by the publics infatuation with Jeter, and i always like anyone who gets overshadowed by jeter, and he showed an unlimited amount of potential. but in 2004 he almost did to me what sammy sosa did to every cubs fan there is. i went from, in one season, thinking he was by second or third favorite sox player to downright disliking him.

again it all depends on the deal...if he comes for cheap enough that its actually a good baseball decision, then sure. but i don't have any feelings of sentimentality for nomar, and i get the impression the entire 2004 team plus the FO viewed him as a headache, wether that was nomar's fault or not.
      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWings24
        but i don't have any feelings of sentimentality for nomar, and i get the impression the entire 2004 team plus the FO viewed him as a headache, wether that was nomar's fault or not.

I think Nomar has been trying to shed this problem of how he interacts with others. Perhaps it's neither here nor there, but I think he's a bit more congenial these days.
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I doubt Nomar feels the same way about the team he did in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
            Coco, after every pitch: steps back, tucks his bat under his arm, rubs his hands together, scoops up some dirt, spits on that, rubs his hands, adjusts his cap, rubs more, then stands in, and in his stance flutters his top hand on the bat handle like a moth. It's really quite a routine.
            With that kind of stuff, he doesn't deserve to be on NESN. They should just put him on MTV. Heck, he's already a breakfast cereal, so one more notch on his belt won't hurt.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
              I think Nomar has been trying to shed this problem of how he interacts with others. Perhaps it's neither here nor there, but I think he's a bit more congenial these days.
              i've gotten that impression too, his interview after the dodgers back-to-back-to-back-to-back homerun comeback was really nice, very team-oriented.

but i think a big part of that could be that he's playing in a market where the fans come in the 3rd leave in the 6th instead of come an hour early and leave when the bars close.

to me its just i have zero sentimental feelings for him at this point. if he's the best option and we can get him at the right price, then absolutely bring him in. if it turns out youkilis and lowell would be a 1% better option, then that's what i want.
              Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

I think if the Dodgers want to keep him, he'll probably stay over there. It's been rumored for years that his preference was to play on the west coast, and now he's there. Last year, he spurned offers from a number of teams (including the Yankees) to go to LA to play. He seems to be a good fit in LA and he seems to be enjoying playing there. So I'd have to say that even if the Sox wanted to bring him back, it will be a tough sell for Nomar if the Dodgers want to keep him (who are one of the few teams that could compete with the Sox in a bidding war if it came down to it).

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  [*]Are there better 1B options available this winter?
                  Here are some of the other options that might be out there for 1B this winter:

Sean Casey
                  Jeff Conine
                  Shea Hillenbrand
                  Travis Lee
                  Doug Mientkiewicz
                  Kevin Millar
                  Phil Nevin
                  Greg Norton
                  Daryle Ward
                  Craig Wilson
                  Dmitri Young

Pretty slim pickings, though Sean Casey could be a good fit in Boston.

Comment

Let's remember that Nomar turned down a 4 year, $60M deal with Boston before the start of '04. He's made substantially less since. He may have a bone to pick with Theo & Co., but his situation is largly due to his own actions. Besides, there was a lot of rumbling about him becoming a clubhouse cancer. That and the fact that glass has been more durable than Nomar the past few years. . . maybe he's finally stopped taking whatever he was taking and he can stay healthy. If the Red Sox offer him a contract, make it very incentive-laden so in case he has another unusual injury, the Sox won't have to pay as much.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                      Let's remember that Nomar turned down a 4 year, $60M deal with Boston before the start of '04. He's made substantially less since. He may have a bone to pick with Theo & Co., but his situation is largly due to his own actions. Besides, there was a lot of rumbling about him becoming a clubhouse cancer. That and the fact that glass has been more durable than Nomar the past few years. . . maybe he's finally stopped taking whatever he was taking and he can stay healthy. If the Red Sox offer him a contract, make it very incentive-laden so in case he has another unusual injury, the Sox won't have to pay as much.
                      All good points. Plus he has missed 40 games this year and has struggled pretty badly in the second half, despite recent heroics.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                        All good points. Plus he has missed 40 games this year and has struggled pretty badly in the second half, despite recent heroics.
                        Im still waiting for your vote, XX.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                          Im still waiting for your vote, XX.
                          Do I want the Red Sox to bring Nomar back? I really don't care, it's not my team and it would be another high risk/high reward gamble the like of which carried the Sox in the first half this year and then buried the Sox in the second half. So if I were the Sox fan, I would be questioning whether the team should be taking on another risk but with good potential, yet leaving itself with little room for error just like this year; or whether the team should look for more safer bets to add to the team (albeit, perhaps with lower potential ceilings).

Now if you were to ask me if the Sox should bring Nomar back, then I might have more of an opinion. As of now, I'm undecided on that question. I think Nomar, if given a two year deal, in the 12-15 mil range, is probably worth the gamble. However, I think given that he has played pretty well this year and has stayed reasonably healthy (by his standards), he's probably upped his stock, and there will be teams out there that will take a chance and hope that he can buck his trend and stay healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                            Here are some of the other options that might be out there for 1B this winter:

Sean Casey
                            Jeff Conine
                            Shea Hillenbrand
                            Travis Lee
                            Doug Mientkiewicz
                            Kevin Millar
                            Phil Nevin
                            Greg Norton
                            Daryle Ward
                            Craig Wilson
                            Dmitri Young

Pretty slim pickings, though Sean Casey could be a good fit in Boston.
                            I would take Nomar before anyone of those players....he is a step above all of them. While he has lost some he is still a fantastic hitter.
                            GOT GRADY??

The Outside Corner - A Modern Look at Professional Sports

www.outsidecorner.bravehost.com

Comment

Originally posted by flea45
                              I would take Nomar before anyone of those players....he is a step above all of them. While he has lost some he is still a fantastic hitter.
                              I would too. That group is pretty dismal as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by flea45

In addition to this sentiment (which I share), I'm pretty sure #'s 3, 5 and 6 won't be coming to Boston any time soon.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X