Should the sox bring Loretta back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the sox bring Loretta back?

I've heard the sox want pedrioa to man second base in 2007. What do you think they should do? Also, does anyone think the sox will get torri hunter in '07?
    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

if loretta wants to be a starter, he can't be brought back...if he'd be happy being a utility man backing up 2b and 1b, then bring him back

i don't see torii coming to the sox...if it's going to be a big name/big $$, then andruw jones in trade

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner
      if loretta wants to be a starter, he can't be brought back...if he'd be happy being a utility man backing up 2b and 1b, then bring him back

i don't see torii coming to the sox...if it's going to be a big name/big $$, then andruw jones in trade
      i agree entirely.

i doubt loretta would be willing to be that backup guy, either, nor should he be. he would be one of the better backups in all of sports if he was.

but supposedly the sox are big on torii, and torii is huge on the sox, so maybe he can come for cheap. but he's a very overrated player (he isn't bad at all, he's one of my favorite players in baseball, but that's because i like his style and he seems like a friendly dude, that's all).

i think RSN is jumping ship on coco way, WAY too fast, and i'm worried the FO is doing the same. if we can get an Andruw Jones or something, then fine, get rid of coco. but i'll be very, very dissapointed with them if they deal him for the sake of dealing him. look no further than edgar renteria or johnny damon's 27 YO season and you'll get why i'm so worked up about this lol. particularly JD's 27 year old season.
      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

I think pedrioa isn't ready for the majors. Just look what happened to Craig Hansen.
        "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Originally posted by keepthefaith3
          I think pedrioa isn't ready for the majors. Just look what happened to Craig Hansen.
          And Adam Stern.

I believe they need to keep Loretta for another year. Pedroia is good enough now to be their utility infielder/pinch hitter/pinch runner but not an everyday starting 2B, Loretta at least can be used as trade bait to get someone needed later on next year should it be worthwhile to the Red Sox...
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by keepthefaith3
            how is craig hansen relevant?

pedroia's looked fine to me since coming up, despite the unimpressive numbers, and his minor league numbers would suggest there's no reason to think he isn't ready.

he'll be 95% of loretta next year at 10% of the price, and then prolly 100-120% of loretta at 10% of the price for the next couple years.

i'm always for giving guys extra minor league time just to let them develop, but i see no reason to spend extra money to let pedroia do so in this case.
            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
              And Adam Stern.

I believe they need to keep Loretta for another year. Pedroia is good enough now to be their utility infielder/pinch hitter/pinch runner but not an everyday starting 2B, Loretta at least can be used as trade bait to get someone needed later on next year should it be worthwhile to the Red Sox...
              Stern isn't half the player Pedroia is. The only reason Stern was on the ML team to begin with was because he was a rule 5'er, and he had to be, otherwise we would have lost him. He didn't develop, and after a dismal minor league season this year we got rid of him.

Pedroia posted great numbers in AAA, so why let him post great numbers again next season in AAA? He's ready, and he's been showing it lately. He started off bad, and has already adjusted. He moved his Avg. from around .125 a week ago to .205 now, and coming in to the season knowing that he'll be at ST as a major leaguer will be good for him. He's quite good defensively, and he hits well too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                Stern isn't half the player Pedroia is. The only reason Stern was on the ML team to begin with was because he was a rule 5'er, and he had to be, otherwise we would have lost him. He didn't develop, and after a dismal minor league season this year we got rid of him.

True he was originally there to fulfill their rule 5 obligation but like Pedroia he was a highly touted prospect that they were lucky to have on their roster but when it came down to actually playing him he didn't produce. Pedroia could be that same way if they rush him like they rushed Stern, especially at a major position that they already have filled by a proven veteran who has produced well this year for the Red Sox.

Pedroia posted great numbers in AAA, so why let him post great numbers again next season in AAA? He's ready, and he's been showing it lately. He started off bad, and has already adjusted. He moved his Avg. from around .125 a week ago to .205 now, and coming in to the season knowing that he'll be at ST as a major leaguer will be good for him. He's quite good defensively, and he hits well too.
                They are taking a big gamble in going with a rookie as their starting 2B next year. It may cost alot but frankly I think Loretta should be retained for at least another year, it gives them an option to trade him and also gives them an assurance that they have someone who can start every day.

Pedroia should be on the roster- but as a utility player next year. He gets playing time but he also fills a need that will be there next year, someone off the bench who has pop in the bat and good speed and can play the field in a pinch.
                Best posts ever:
                Originally posted by nymdan
                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                  Pedroia should be on the roster- but as a utility player next year. He gets playing time but he also fills a need that will be there next year, someone off the bench who has pop in the bat and good speed and can play the field in a pinch.
                  I may have come around on Pedroia. You make good points, but playing well off the bench is not everyone's forte-- it especially seems that rookies have a harder time adjusting. As much as I love Loretta, I am ready to let the youth movement begin in earnest. Maybe secure Cora as a utility player, it seems like he handled it well this year-- with the added bonus (for him) that if things don't work out with Pedroia, he becomes a regular.
                  "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

i want loretta to man 2B in 2007... pedroia isnt ready for the starting job yet. as far as hunter as concerned, i dont think the twins will let him go because of the success with him and mentoring the younger players. he has taken Minnesota to the playoffs many times, along with the managing of Gardenhire, and the help from the young perrenial All-Star duo of Morneau and Mauer. With hunter also as a great glove in the field, he's not going anywhere in a long time......

Comment

I'd bring Loretta back, I really don't know what upgrades are out there for the Sox. Loretta is a very solid all around 2Bman and I think it was a steal of a pickup at the time (backup catcher Mirabelli for a good starting 2Bman; the Sox just undid that when they sent Bard and Meredith to the Padres to reacquire Mirabelli).

I guess there's always the hope that Pedroia could bust out like Robinson Cano last year; but Loretta is the safer bet.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                        I'd bring Loretta back, I really don't know what upgrades are out there for the Sox. Loretta is a very solid all around 2Bman and I think it was a steal of a pickup at the time (backup catcher Mirabelli for a good starting 2Bman; the Sox just undid that when they sent Bard and Meredith to the Padres to reacquire Mirabelli).

I guess there's always the hope that Pedroia could bust out like Robinson Cano last year; but Loretta is the safer bet.
                        Personally I wouldn't mind Loretta back, however it seems that the front office thinks that Pedroia is better suited for 2nd base rather than SS, so my guess is that we'll put Pedroia at 2B, and sign Lugo to play SS.

Comment

[QUOTE=PhilWings24]how is craig hansen relevant?

Because he sucked.

Comment

[QUOTE=keepthefaith3]
                            Originally posted by PhilWings24
                            how is craig hansen relevant?

Because he sucked.
                            okay...well then look at jonathan papelbon. joe morgan was a rookie once, too.

lol how are the 2 related at all?

people keep saying he isn't ready, too. i'm not sure what that's based on. yeah his first 29 games have been very bad, but from watching him play i can say confidently his numbers don't do him justice. that isn't to say he's been playing like a stud, just that he's had some bad luck with linedrives goin right at people, good defensive plays made against him, and not many lucky hits at all. this is the longest season he's ever played, he's likely wearing out a bit, and even if he's at full strength, plenty of HoFers have played considerably worst over the course of 29 games and well...gone to the hall of fame.

not saying he's a hall of famer, at all. i think he'll be a career 290/370/430 ish guy, with top of the line defense, which is pretty impressive for 2b
                            Last edited by PhilWings24; 09-30-2006, 01:04 PM.
                            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

pedroia looked very good defensively @ SS the last few games...his arm strength was passable...made a very athletic play-sliding and throwing...questioned his range on 1 ball hit in the hole, but he may have been cheating up the middle or maybe there was a pick-off attempt

but, he's definitely not ready for a leadoff role YET

and on another note, if Wily Mo Pena can play that well in CF that would be a major boost...he has struggled in RF

also, carlos pena is a great glove off the bench...youkilis has played a GG caliber 1B, but if they had a backup 1b, they could be flexible and play youk @ 3b or OF in late innings

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X