Jimmie Foxx or David Ortiz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmie Foxx or David Ortiz?

Who do you like better, in terms of all-time favorite Red Sox players, Jimmie Foxx or David Ortiz? You don't have to do any kind of complex number crunching, just in your heart of hearts who do you like better? Just wondering. (It also doesn't mean that you dislike the other player so don't feel guilty about picking one over the other.)
    Jimmie Foxx
    76.47%
    David Ortiz
    23.53%
    Last edited by Seattle1; 09-26-2006, 02:21 PM.

I'd say Jimmie Foxx. Not knowing much about his overall persona, I have known that he was one of the greatest 1Bmen in MLB history. That alone should make him worthy.

I'll give David Ortiz his props, as he has put the word "mash" in the DH title of late.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I took Ortiz. My generation, post-season heroics. Foxx was a better player, but I like Ortiz more.

Comment

This is somewhat of an unfair. I don't think most people here had the benefit of seeing Foxx play and being awed by Foxx - he's just statistics and blurbs to most; whereas most fans have been inundated by the current Red Sox Nation culture and revere David Ortiz.

As for postseason play - Foxx wasn't too shabby in the postseason himself, hitting .344 with 4 HR and 11 RBI in 64 ABs. Of course he didn't have the benefit of two extra rounds of postseason play to pad his stats, and it all came in three consecutive WS with the A's and not with the Sox.

In the postseason, Foxx had a 0.959 OPS, while Ortiz has a 0.935 OPS, both pretty impressive (though Ortiz has had 80 more ABs thanks to the extra rounds).

Comment

The "Beast" by a wide margin. As Lefty Gomez said, "Even his hair had muscles".
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
            This is somewhat of an unfair. I don't think most people here had the benefit of seeing Foxx play and being awed by Foxx - he's just statistics and blurbs to most; whereas most fans have been inundated by the current Red Sox Nation culture and revere David Ortiz.

As for postseason play - Foxx wasn't too shabby in the postseason himself, hitting .344 with 4 HR and 11 RBI in 64 ABs. Of course he didn't have the benefit of two extra rounds of postseason play to pad his stats, and it all came in three consecutive WS with the A's and not with the Sox.

In the postseason, Foxx had a 0.959 OPS, while Ortiz has a 0.935 OPS, both pretty impressive (though Ortiz has had 80 more ABs thanks to the extra rounds).

I dont see this as having be "fair". This isnt a "who is better" poll, just who i like better. And having never seen the beast, i like Ortiz more. Lets not make it a stat affair.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
              I dont see this as having be "fair". This isnt a "who is better" poll, just who i like better. And having never seen the beast, i like Ortiz more. Lets not make it a stat affair.
              I'll give you credit that it was more about who you like than who was statistically superior or not, but since many here have never watched Foxx play, the unfairness of the comparison, even if one about who you like or don't like, may seem unfair to Foxx.
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Umm is this even a realistic question? Foxx was considered "The Right Handed Babe Ruth", whereas David Ortiz has just gone on a tear as a DH for three years, but I don't know if Papi puts up the same numbers with out Manny. Towards the end of the Beast's career he had Ted, but not for that long. Foxx's career percentages .328/.428/.609, so he has a career OPS of over a thousand that is INSANE. Three MVPs a Triple Crown, and oh and his WS numbers miror his career numbers .345/.425/.609. Double X won two batting titles, five OPS titles, three TB titles, four HR titles, and three RBI titles. Oh yeah and look where he ranks in for his career 4th in slugging (amongst retired players), 9th in OBP (amongst retired players), 4th in OPS (amongst retired players), and 14th in HRs. He also played in the field Ortiz did not.
                "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX

Actually Foxx's is WS OPS is 1.034
                  "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Jimmie Foxx was one of the nicest guys ever.
                    He would pay for peoples meals if they sat down and talked with him and donated a ton of money to Ted Williams' charity. Very nice man, and he never charged the mound after being beaned in the head. Not dissing Papi, but I would just like to see Foxx and meet him more than Papi.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
                      Actually Foxx's is WS OPS is 1.034
                      Good call, I added wrong (only did the last WS).

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
                        Umm is this even a realistic question? Foxx was considered "The Right Handed Babe Ruth", whereas David Ortiz has just gone on a tear as a DH for three years, but I don't know if Papi puts up the same numbers with out Manny. Towards the end of the Beast's career he had Ted, but not for that long. Foxx's career percentages .328/.428/.609, so he has a career OPS of over a thousand that is INSANE. Three MVPs a Triple Crown, and oh and his WS numbers miror his career numbers .345/.425/.609. Double X won two batting titles, five OPS titles, three TB titles, four HR titles, and three RBI titles. Oh yeah and look where he ranks in for his career 4th in slugging (amongst retired players), 9th in OBP (amongst retired players), 4th in OPS (amongst retired players), and 14th in HRs. He also played in the field Ortiz did not.
                        "You don't have to do any kind of complex number crunching, just in your heart of hearts who do you like better? Just wondering" -- But of course, someone comes in with the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                          I'll give you credit that it was more about who you like than who was statistically superior or not, but since many here have never watched Foxx play, the unfairness of the comparison, even if one about who you like or don't like, may seem unfair to Foxx.
                          Unfair to Foxx? hes winning 7-2.. Id say even those who hadnt seen Foxx are still voting for him.
                          Last edited by EvanAparra; 09-26-2006, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kyle-
                            Jimmie Foxx was one of the nicest guys ever.
                            He would pay for peoples meals if they sat down and talked with him and donated a ton of money to Ted Williams' charity. Very nice man, and he never charged the mound after being beaned in the head. Not dissing Papi, but I would just like to see Foxx and meet him more than Papi.

Exactly, anybody whose done research on the man would find out quickly that he was probably the most generous ball player of all-time.

Im paraphrasing but once when Foxx filed for bankruptcy, Ted Williams offered him money. Foxx took the check and immediately gave it back to Ted. "Aww Ted, take this back and invest it in your jimmy fund there's kids out there who need this more than me" Foxx responded.

Foxx is my choice and this and should be everyone's choice aswell.
                            "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                              "You don't have to do any kind of complex number crunching, just in your heart of hearts who do you like better? Just wondering" -- But of course, someone comes in with the numbers.
                              Wait a second - My introduction of postseason statistics was meant in direct response to you mentioning Ortiz's "post-season heroics." My point was to show that your biased by your time and not having the opportunity to see Foxx play, who also was great in the postseason (albeit not for the Sox).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X