No announcement yet.

Jimmie Foxx or David Ortiz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, what a terrible way to evaluate whether someone is a good person or not. He wants the MVP, he vocalized why, hes not a good person?? Being a good person has nothing to do with little dumb things like that. I think its only probably because you love Jeter, because ive talked to non-yankee fans, and they didnt really think it was a big deal, and they definitely didnt try and discredit him as a good person because of it.

Comment

How doesn't it affect him being a good guy or not? It shows him being an egotistical brute. In the process in dissing Jeter, he also threw his teammates under the bus...."Jeter doesn't have to hit in this lineup" or something of that manner. Fact is, that Jimmie put others in front of him. Even when he was fired (unfairly) he accepted it and moved on. To think that what Ortiz said doesn't strike to you as egotistical (which in turn has an effect on his character) just show you a Ortiz lover.
      "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Haha, an Ortiz lover I am. And by the way, when you post in this forum, Ortiz lover are all around you. He only led us to the World Series.

Egotistical Brute? You take ONE comment out of the course of a person's entire life and base whether they are good or bad people because of this? Thats pretty lame, I hope God doesn't do the same, for Ortiz's sake. Im guessing about 90 percent of all MLB players are somewhat egotistical, does not make them bad people.

Comment

The problem is that I dont have enough information on Ortiz to judge his "personess". What I do have is that quote, which in my opinion says something about him. Especially comparing him to IMO the nicest guy to ever play, it doesnt bode well for Ortiz.
          "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Well you claimed that this poll was bias towards Ortiz, did you not? Because people didnt know enouhg about Foxx? Well it seems that in your case its bias towards Foxx, because you dont know enough about Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
              Well you claimed that this poll was bias towards Ortiz, did you not? Because people didnt know enouhg about Foxx? Well it seems that in your case its bias towards Foxx, because you dont know enough about Ortiz.
              In that case no one knows much about Ortiz since no one knows every single aspect of his life. Its really simple...this is a biased poll because its asking you to choose between the charatcters of two players. One player you would have to be atleast 71 to have watched him play and the other player is currently playing. A person voting would say "Jeez, I dont know much about Foxx but Ortiz seems so respectful to the media and is always signing autographs"......that same thing can't be said about Foxx because no one here (I presume) has saw him play. The voting is so lopsided because the posters taught that this was asking for better player.

Comment

Originally posted by Myankee4life
                How doesn't it affect him being a good guy or not? It shows him being an egotistical brute. In the process in dissing Jeter, he also threw his teammates under the bus...."Jeter doesn't have to hit in this lineup" or something of that manner. Fact is, that Jimmie put others in front of him. Even when he was fired (unfairly) he accepted it and moved on. To think that what Ortiz said doesn't strike to you as egotistical (which in turn has an effect on his character) just show you a Ortiz lover.
                an egotistical brute? sorry, but if wanting to win the AL MVP makes someone an egotistical brute, then you just called every player in the AL an egotistical brute, as well as thousands of minor leaguers.

and the line about his teammates was definitely ill-advised, but i think if he had phrased it "this lineup revolves around manny and i, this team would be in much bigger trouble without either of us than the yankees would be without jeter" then it gets across the same point, but far fewer people have a problem with it.

and here's your info on papi: he might be the most popular player in all of baseball-among the players-he is friendly to every person he meets on the streets, he signs autographs before just about every game, he does tons of charity in the dominican, and donated around 200k to katrina funds. he also has signed 2 very reasonable contract extensions with the red sox, despite the fact he could hit far, far more homeruns and make much more money with the yankees, and could guarantee himself a raise by testing the FA market.

now i know nothing about Foxxy, so maybe the guy is a downright saint, but i have a hard time imagining he has much on papi in the ways of character.

and i'll just close by saying that ego really doesn't have much to do with character at all. it has alot to do with how well liked someone is, and papi is loved among baseball players, but most truly great human beings have an enormous ego: its largely what allows them to do great things.
                Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by Myankee4life
                  In that case no one knows much about Ortiz since no one knows every single aspect of his life. Its really simple...this is a biased poll because its asking you to choose between the charatcters of two players. One player you would have to be atleast 71 to have watched him play and the other player is currently playing. A person voting would say "Jeez, I dont know much about Foxx but Ortiz seems so respectful to the media and is always signing autographs"......that same thing can't be said about Foxx because no one here (I presume) has saw him play. The voting is so lopsided because the posters taught that this was asking for better player.
                  wasn't it asking us who we liked more? i might get what you meant, but character really has very little to do with likability. i know second hand (friend of the family's father) that Hitler was one of the funniest most charming people you'll ever meet. how's that for hyperbole in a valid point? oh yeah lol.

and i agree this was an unfair poll, i just don't see what the problem with that is. it makes it sort of a useless poll, but all i know is that i've never seen foxxy and have no idea what he was like as a person, and i know that papi is at least having some of the best seasons of any player i'm likely to ever watch, and i'm yet to find a serious reason to think he's anything less than a stand-up guy.
                  Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by myankee4life
                    I have read all there is too about Foxx, and from readings have garnered the belief that Foxx was the most well-natured, generous ball player to ever put on cleats. In order for this to be a fair poll, you would have to read up on Jimmie because we see Ortiz day in and day out therefore we know the type of person he is. Im pretty sure no one here saw Foxx play.

It was always my belief that Jimmie ended up bankrupt because he was TOO generous.
                    Best post on this thread. Thanks, myankee4life, makes me feel good.

Originally posted by DoubleX
                    Well in theory, based on the stipulations behind the poll (i.e. stats are not to be factored, just who you like more), it would appear that Ortiz has a major advantage since fans not only get to watch Ortiz, but are caught up, firsthand, in his exploits. That would seem to put Foxx at a disadvantage. The only thing I can think of as to why the poll is so slanted is that people are considering statistics and measuring who they think is the better player, rather than who they like more (either that, or there are just a lot of non-Red Sox fans who dislike Ortiz coming to vote in here).
                    I consider polls by definition as opinions.

I too have read a great deal on Foxx, and I have far more respect for him as both a player and as a human being than virtually any other player to don a uniform. The mere fact that he was considered the most level-headed and generous player to play the game, that he was the most feared hitter of his era, and that he was considered exceptionally good at fielding his position are enough to gain my vote. I never saw Foxx play either, nobody needs to see him play to answer a poll question. I bet I'm not the only one to have read newspaper articles, magazines, books, periodicals, or listened to others talk about ballplayers of days past and thereby form an opinion.

Never ejected from a game in his career, the umpires of his day claimed Foxx never argued a ball/strike call, was always courteous to the umpires, never took cheap shots at opposing players, and it's said that he was always helpful and respectful to the rookies that he was associated with. That's the person.

As for Foxx, the ballplayer, sure his stats say a lot. When he retired, he was second only to Ruth in career HRs, and when asked if he would have liked to have had a shot at Ruth's career HR record, his only reply was "No, there was only one Babe". (quoting from memory)

Do I like Ortiz? You bet I do! What an addition he's been to this team, although he has more years with MN than with the Sox, much like Foxx had more with the A's than with the Sox (thus far).

I didn't have to think twice when I saw the poll question.
                    Last edited by ThanksTheo; 10-09-2006, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X