ESPN's John Heyman Ranks Best Moves of 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's John Heyman Ranks Best Moves of 2006

Generally I consider the ranking of events to be a pointless and subjective undertaking. This one from ESPN.com is a ranking of the best roster moves of 2006. What's sickening is that the Red Sox are listed 4 times in the top 20--on the wrong end of the deal.

16. Cla Meredith and Josh Bard, Padres reliever and catcher. The Red Sox must have been pretty desperate to get Doug Mirabelli back to give up these two fine young players to reacquire Tim Wakefield's personal caddie.

13. Bronson Arroyo, P, Reds. He may have a quirky personality, but he's a reliable rotation presence and he gave the Reds a chance. Wily Mo Peña, who was sacrificed to get Arroyo, is talented but incomplete as a player.

5. Johnny Damon, CF, Yankees. Beyond adding much-needed life to the Yankees' business-like clubhouse, he's been as advertised and more. Surely it's fortunate that the Yankees' first half-dozen center-field options didn't pan out and they didn't have to resort to starting Bubba Crosby.

2. Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez, Marlins shortstop and starting pitcher. "I don't know what the Red Sox were thinking when they traded Sanchez,'' one scout said, "He can get major-leaguer hitters out with five pitches and he throws 95 [mph].'' And Ramirez might be the National League Rookie of the Year if it's not Uggla, in maybe the strongest year for rookies in decades.

What do you all think of these deals?

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Sigh, even after trade all those prospects, we still have a good farm.

I agree with almost everything in that article though.

Comment

What a bad trade - Anibal and Hanley. I would have understood it if we had a a solid SS, and Hanley's path was blocked, but that wasnt so.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
        What a bad trade - Anibal and Hanley. I would have understood it if we had a a solid SS, and Hanley's path was blocked, but that wasnt so.
        Yup, I remember being quite baffled by the H. Ramirez trade. I mean this time last year it seemed like he was our number one prospect--and the way things went for Edgar, I thought he was a shoe-in for SS in '06. I didn't know much about Anibal, but he looks pretty solid now. I still think Beckett can have a dominant season-- maybe even string a few good seasons in a row. Time will tell.
        "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

It's very depressing, isn't it?

I thought at the time that the Bard/Meredith/Mirabelli deal was a good thing. I mean, Bard was petrified trying to catch the knuckleball, and Meredith had seemed to hit a wall in the Sox system. Perhaps it wouldn't look quite so bad if Wake hadn't been injured (he probably should have gone on the DL a month before he did) and if Varitek hadn't gone down. In the past, the Wake/Mirabelli combination worked out great, and with Tek catching 4 games of every 5, Mirabelli wasn't overexposed, which he indisputably was this year.

I've always thought the Arroyo trade was utter nonsense. Was shocked to find Hanley Ramirez traded; I too thought he was tagged as the next shortstop once Renteria fizzled. And losing Damon wouldn't have hurt so badly if Coco hadn't had the lousy luck to break his finger before even the first homestand, an injury which pretty much deep-sixed his whole season. If he could have kept on playing as he did in those first few games......

The milk is spilled, and I'm crying over it.
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

Well it just turned out to be all wrong trades...

But i'm completely sure, that neither Hanley nor Sanchez would have get a real chance with the RedSox this year.

But the Front office did a horrible job in trading Ramirez and Renteria to get Beckett and Crisp in the end.

And then they got the best defensive ss in Baseball, but still offense is a problem.

And Hanley, as usual, wouldnt have been able to steal those 60+ bases with Francona as amanager. Thats sad.
            I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

And don't forget (regarding the HR/AS trade for Beckett), they "threw in" Mike Lowell, which ended up being one of the few bright spots in this year's trade class. If it had not been for the myriad of injuries we sustained, those trades wouldn't have looked quite so bad. Still . . . it is pretty dismal the way things turned out.
              "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

I don't think the Ramirez/Sanchez for Lowell/Beckett trade is as bad as some of you think. Remember, Beckett still has a big upside, and Lowell was a big contributer this season. We'll see how Ramirez does over the course of a whole season.

Right now that and the Pena for Arroyo trade don't look great, but I think we'll be seeing things differently in the (near) future.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                  We'll see how Ramirez does over the course of a whole season.
                  I think Ramirez is just finishing up a whole season. He's played in 153 games so far and has over 600 ABs. The best is probably yet to come from him. Same goes for Sanchez.

I do agree with you though that it's probably too early to declare the Sox absolute losers in these trades. Beckett is still young, still has great stuff, and he just got over a very important hurdle in his career - staying healthy for an entire season. He should learn from this year and come back better next year and with more stamina.

Lowell played just about as well as most could have hoped, though he's probably on the downside of his career.

The Pena/Arroyo deal still has big potential for the Sox. I think Arroyo had a career this year - I really don't see him consistenly putting up ERA's in the low 3's year after year. On the other hand, Pena's bat has a tremendous upside. There are holes in his game, but if he puts it together, I think he could be a 35-40 homerun threat. I wouldn't be surprised at all if in the next year or two Pena starts to take off, much in the same way Ortiz has in Boston.

Comment

I don't think the Ramirez/Sanchez for Lowell/Beckett trade is as bad as some of you think. Remember, Beckett still has a big upside, and Lowell was a big contributer this season. We'll see how Ramirez does over the course of a whole season.

Right now that and the Pena for Arroyo trade don't look great, but I think we'll be seeing things differently in the (near) future.
                    It is as bad as we think, IMO. Beckett has an upside, and i think he will have a very good year next year. But then, I think Sanchez will too. Lowell had a good season for us, but do you want to trade the top SS prospect in baseball for him?

These guys would have helped perfectly in the Sox youth movement.... And although i liked beckett, i would much rather have seen him acquired by other means..Maybe Hansen/Ellsbury.. I dont know if it would have been possible, but if we could have have stayed away from some of these trades look at what the lineup could have been in a couple years..

SP - Josh Beckett
                    SP - Jonathon Papelbon
                    SP- Jon Lester (god willing)
                    SP- Anibal Sanchez
                    SP- Bronson Arroyo

SU - Cla Meredith
                    CL - Manny DelCarmen

1B - ? Free Agency
                    2B - Dustin Pedroia
                    SS -Hanley Ramirez
                    3B - Kevin Youkilis
                    C - Jason Varitek / Josh Bard
                    DH - David Ortiz

CF - Coco Crisp/Elsbury if he wasnt in the new trade
                    RF - ?? Free Agency
                    LF - Manny Ramirez

And if theres a trade including Manny - theres even more young prospects

I would have grown to love this team.

Of course, this is all a big dumb what if, just makes me mad, and i wanted to vent.

Comment

Man i've gone to bat for theo alot recently...but as many times as i discuss it, stuff like this still pisses me off

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                      16. Cla Meredith and Josh Bard, Padres reliever and catcher. The Red Sox must have been pretty desperate to get Doug Mirabelli back to give up these two fine young players to reacquire Tim Wakefield's personal caddie.
                      Fine with that particular observation. Dumbest deal theo's made and by a lot, and its still not as dumb as people make it out to be. The yanks did a good job of gouging the price, making it necesary for cla meredith to go in the deal. if not for his being traded, i'd be fine with it. they needed to get rid of bard, it seemed. if we still had bard and he was doing exactly this in the majors, he'd be getting booed after every passed ball.

13. Bronson Arroyo, P, Reds. He may have a quirky personality, but he's a reliable rotation presence and he gave the Reds a chance. Wily Mo Peña, who was sacrificed to get Arroyo, is talented but incomplete as a player.
                      that deal made me sick when i first saw it, and i still think it was a bad deal, but WMP is a stud, in my opinion. or at least will be by as early as next year. and as much as i love arroyo, i think there's about a 20% chance that WMP is CLEARLY the more valuable player by next year, 40% chance he is by 2009, and about a 50% chance he'll be about as good next year, and 75% chance he'll be better by 09 (in case that statement confused you lol, i mean i think there's a decent chance wily will be way better, and a great chance he'll be as good or a bit better)

5. Johnny Damon, CF, Yankees. Beyond adding much-needed life to the Yankees' business-like clubhouse, he's been as advertised and more. Surely it's fortunate that the Yankees' first half-dozen center-field options didn't pan out and they didn't have to resort to starting Bubba Crosby.
                      I'm sorry, but anyone who says JD is a good acquisition at 12 mil a year for 4 years or w/e for any team but the yankees is out of their mind. he's cut out for yankee stadium, and only the yankees could afford to sign him to such a ridiculous deal. so good pickup for the yanks? sure. should the sox have given him that much? absolutely not. the worstthing about that deal is the sox probably would've offered him that much if he'd given them a chance.

2. Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez, Marlins shortstop and starting pitcher. "I don't know what the Red Sox were thinking when they traded Sanchez,'' one scout said, "He can get major-leaguer hitters out with five pitches and he throws 95 [mph].'' And Ramirez might be the National League Rookie of the Year if it's not Uggla, in maybe the strongest year for rookies in decades.[/COLOR]
                      This has some, but very little, validity to it. Beckett will be a fine #2-3 guy next year, and still has potential to become the ace everyone thought he could become. anibal had tommy john surgery at the age of like 19. i think this was larry lucchino trying to send a message to RSN, more than anything else, that even though theo was gone, the sox were not sitting around idly. i think they did this deal for the sake of doing it.

Basically, what it comes down to with me, as i've drawn on about endlessly, is you can NOT judge a deal the year it is made. most sports you can, baseball you can not

Remember how Theo was accused of "shopping at wall-mart" for low cost rejects like david ortiz? or when he traded shea hillenbrand, even? when he elected not to resign pedro martinez at a price of 4 years, 12.5 million a year? when he traded nomar for 3 no-names, 2 of which were downright indespensible and the last of which was a key part of the team? Or when he signed david ortiz to a 2 year, 6 mil a year deal at the start of 04 and everyone flipped out about how he didn't have his priorities straight in a year that pedro, lowe, varitek, and nomar were all free agents?

i know i sound like theo's mother talking lol, but it just bugs the crap out of me that theo has gone from idiot to lucky to genius and now back to idiot, all because of nothing other than what he'd done in the preceding 3-6 months.

so now, my final point in this rant is (can't post as often now cus of school, gotta get my money's worth lol) that i don't think he's a genius. i don't think he's some kind of savant. i think he's got the best strategy in baseball, and is bad at executing it, making him an overall very-good-but-not-great GM. but i feel the need to go to battle for him to maintain neutrality lol. talk radio and espn underappreciate him SO much that i feel the need to overappreciate him anytime he comes up lol. i'm exhausted from this post and realize now that it has real value other than keeping me busy haha...but just try to remember (talking to no one in particular) he's made some great deals and some very bad ones. not just the bad ones.
                      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                        I think Ramirez is just finishing up a whole season. He's played in 153 games so far and has over 600 ABs. The best is probably yet to come from him. Same goes for Sanchez.
                        My bad. I meant Sanchez. I can't say that I'm rooting against either of those guys. One thing I always remember is that there's no guarantee that they would have duplicated their success in Boston.

Comment

My bad. I meant Sanchez. I can't say that I'm rooting against either of those guys. One thing I always remember is that there's no guarantee that they would have duplicated their success in Boston.
                          That's very true. Playing in Miami in front of a few thousand fans and with a generally apathetic fan base is very different than the pressure and scrutiny players face in Boston.

I also agree with you about Sanchez - you could call it Josh Beckett syndrome. Though I think Beckett will be better for his struggles this year because he's finally pitched a full season.

Comment

These trades would be so bad, if all our "best" prospects weren't having crappy seasons. Hansen, Delcarmen, Lester (cancer). Hansen was terrible this year, and Delcarmen wasn't alot better, and the whole Lester thing is unfortunate, and I certainly hope he's alright, however I think the trades are made glaring by how badly many of our rookies performed.

Personally I think the best trade was Loretta for Mirabelli. That was a steal. Hopefully a few others will pan out. Hopefully Coco will play better, Beckett needs to improve, along with the rookies we kept.

Comment

This article at SI.com about Cla Meredith's solid pitching for the Padres adds a little twist to the knife.

2007 World Series Champions
                              The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X