Boston Red Sox Front office 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Red Sox Front office 2006

Well the season comes nearly to an end and now we can put some grades for the FA for this year.

Arroyo for Pena.
    Arroyo: 233.2 innings. 181 SO. 3.27 ERA. 14 wins. With CIN
    Pena: 81 games. 305 avg. 11 HR. 41 RBI. With BoSox
    Bad, at least for 2006. Because we had a massive need for SP. On the long-term it's a good deal, because Pena will be , if u ask me a true HR-hitter. But it was very surprising when I heard his name at the Trade-deadline. Epstein would have acknowledged that he has made an error for 2006.
    2006: Bad. C
    Future. Even maybe good.

Seanez, Tavarez= Bullpen
    Seanez:46.2 innings. 48 SO. 4.82 ERA With BoSox
    Tavarez:93.2 innings. 56 SO. 4.52 ERA. With BoSox
    Epstein, took two veterans from the NL to Boston and the result, well, more than ugly. Catastrophic. One of the main reasons we didn’t make it to the post-season. The Bullpen. And then he made no trades for Bullpen upgrades. There is a big pressure now on Epstein and Hansen, Delcarmen, Lester etc. because if u believe Epstein, they will be great. And they are worth not to trade, even if you miss the playoffs because of that.
    2006: Bad. C
    Future: Let’s hope for Epstein it will be terrific!

Damon-Crisp
    Damon: 145 games. 289 avg. 23 HR. 79 RBI. With NYY
    Crisp: 105 games. 264 avg. 8 HR. 36 RBI. With BoSOX
    Well if we look at this substitution, for 2006 it's very bad. But Crisp was injured. We pay very less money to Crisp than we w(s)hould have to Damon. But money is a thing Boston, as a bigmarket-team, should not very much worry about. And a strength from Crisp is not used as much as possible…his base-stealing abilities he has tremendous speed! Use it!
    2006: Very bad. D
    Future: I wonder if we can call this one even anytime. Hopefully.

Loretta for Mirabelli
    Loretta: 151 games .287 avg. 4 HR. 58 RBI
    Mirabelli 14 games .182 avg. 0 HR. 0 RBI
    Best trade of the season. Loretta was reliable, played nearly every game, pretty good .avg. But the power is all gone and that’s probably why the RedSox want to go with Pedroia in the next season..
    2006: excellent trade! A
    Future: Both will be gone probably.

The Beckett trade
    Beckett: 198 innings. 150 SO. 4.82 ERA. 16 wins. With BoSox
    Sanchez: 109.1 innings. 70 SO 2.80 ERA. 9 wins. With FLA
    Lowell: 150 games. .283 avg. 19 HR. 74 RBI. With BoSox
    H.Ramirez: 153 games. .289 avg. 15 HR. 57 RBI. With FLA
    Beckett is a is a disappointment this year, despite his 16 wins, and those wins let us fans hoping for a very good next year. Lowell is much better than last year but maybe not as good as the years before his horrible 2005. But with the Marlins he hit in the middle of the order, with the Red Sox mostly in the 7th spot. And both cost very much money. H.Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez are doing very well for the marlins. I have still no idea why the Red Sox gave up their best two SS and then had a hard time finding a new one. But both wouldn’t have got the playing time with the Sox, that they got with the Marlins. And Hanley’s stealing abilities, well Tito doesn’t want to have that.
    2006: Average to good. B-
    Future: Should be a even trade.

Renteria and Cash for Marte.
    Both player didn’t play any game for the RedSox this Season
    I have no idea why we give up on a multiple All-Star after only one year. And then give him up, eat much of his contract to get an overrated prospect like Marte, who we traded anyway.
    2006: Bad trade. C-
    Future: Bad trade.

Crisp-Bard-Riske for Shoppach-Marte-Mota trade
    Crisp: 105 games. 264 avg. 8 HR. 36 RBI. With BoSox
    Riske: 9.2 innings. 5 SO. 3.72 ERA. With BoSox
    Bard: 7 games .278 avg. No HR. no RBI. With BoSox
    Shoppach: 39 games. .262 avg. 3 HR. 42 RBI. With CLE.
    Marte: 45 games. .220 avg. 3 HR 19 RBI. With CLE
    Mota: 53.2 innings. 46 SO. 4.70 ERA. 3 wins. With CLE With CLE and NYM
    We got nearly nothing for Bard and Riskie and both are doing alot better with their new clubs than with the Red Sox. Crisp was injured and isn't doing well. But Mota, Marte and Shoppach aren't doing very good either.
    2006: Even. B-
    Future: Even.

Mirabelli for Bard+Meredith+CashMirabelli: 57 games. .191 avg. 6 HR. 25 RBI. With BoSox
    Bard: 90 games. .333 avg. 9 HR. 39 RBI. With SD
    Meredith: 49.2 innings. 36 SO. 0.71 ERA. 5 wins. With SD

Ok Bard couldnt handle the knuckleball from Wakefield...But just after this trade Wakefield landed on the disabled list. Meredith and Bard are not just good for the Padres, no they are huuuuge! Most horrible trade of the season!
    2006: horrible trade. D
    Future: horrible trade.

Hee-Seop-Choi and J.T Snow of the FAChoi’s AAA stats: 66 games. .207 avg. 8 HR. 27 RBI.
    Snow : 38 games. .205 avg. 0 HR, 4 RBI.
    We got them, because Mr. Epstein didn’t trust in Youkilis’ abilities and wanted a lefty to platoon Youk.. Well he was wrong again…

Juan Gonzalez of the FA
    He did sign a one-year contract with the RedSox. But didn’t show up, because the RedSox added Willy Mo Pena. Gonzalez played the season with the Long Island Ducks in the independent Atlantic League. He played 36 games posted a.323 avg. with 6 HR. 23 RBI. And is…guess what… injured.

Kottaras for Wells.
    Kottaras had in his two years in the Minors 10+HR and 50+RBI. Each year he played 100+games. He is expected to be the backup of Varitek next year, because he is a very good Prospect with power and excellent catching abilities. We know all about Wells. If the Red Sox didn’t make this trade they would have become completely stupid.
    Future: excellent move!

Jason Johnson for Player to be named or Cash.
    Johnson has lost everything this year. 6 games started with the RedSox, 0 wins 4 losses, with a ERA of 7.37. Awful. That was just a desperate move and Epstein went after that with young rookie starters like Pauley, Gabbard, DiNardo or Hanseck. They weren’t Major League ready either.
    2006: horrible.

Corey for Mendoza
    Corey: 20.1 innings. 15 SO. 3.84 ERA.
    Mendoza is not at all Major League ready. He has a 5.7 ERA in the Minors this year. Corey is a solid Bullpen guy for us so far.
    2006: good trade. B
    Future: good move.

Javier Lopez for Riske
    Lopez: 14.1 innings. 9 SO. 3.14 ERA.
    Riske: 34.1 innings. 23 SO. 3.93 ERA
    2006:even. B-
    Future: good move. Because Lopez was the AAA closer of the ChiSox.

Carlos Pena for a PTBNL
    .278 avg. 23 HR. 78 RBI those are Penas Minor League numbers. But he is already 28 years of age. I hope he will be around next year on the Red Sox roster…
    He had 75 HR and 210 RBI in 427 games with the Tigers in the MLB. But his avg. is aproblem. .242 avg in his Major League career.

Javy Lopez for PTBNL
    Lopez: .190 avg. 0 HR. 4 RBI.
    I thought that was a pretty good deal the Red Sox made after the trade deadline. We were desperate on finding another MLB catcher and Lopez seemed to be a gift. But I don't want to blame the FA for his bad games he played. Passed balls and very bad average. He was in a slump and not helping. So they released him. Too bad that this turned around to be another bad aquisition. Maybe it would have been good to give him some more time...
    2006: Bad. C.

Eric Hinske for a PTBNL or Cash
    Hinske: .284 avg. 0 HR. 4 RBI.
    Here is what happens when you give a player some more time...Hinske was terrible in his first games for the Red Sox. But his avg. has climbed since then and he had some doubles. So the next step is to hit HR. And the RedSox will pay next season just 2,8 millions from the 5.6 millions he is owed. I think this is a good deal. Nice to have such a player on the bench.
    2006: C
    Future: B-

FRONT office grade 2006: A, B, C, or D?

My call: C.

For the Future it should be better, because we all know that Epstein likes to have a good farm team, and he made it clear with his moves (Kottaras for Wells, Pena for Arroyo and he signed like the first 17 players drafted this year, which is great) and his non-moves (Lester, Hansen, Delcarmen, Pedroia). I wonder if he liked the Beckett trade…
    A
    0.00%
    B
    14.29%
    C
    47.62%
    D
    38.10%
    Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 09-27-2006, 03:52 PM.
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could give the front office more than a D this year. In fact, you probaby should include an "F" option, Swiss (if you want one, let me know ). Picking on moves that ended up badly isn't sour grapes or unfair, IMO. I think it's the front office's job to ensure that this many moves don't end up badly. They've done poorly through their own lack of foresight. Hopefully, the future will be bright. This season, however, was dismally wasted.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Who was the PTBNL in the Lopez deal ???
      I thought it was Adam Stern or Alejandro Machado but both are still listed as being on the Red Sox roster .

Comment

Originally posted by TheKingofKings
        I thought it was Adam Stern or Alejandro Machado but both are still listed as being on the Red Sox roster .
        Stern. But the D-Rays blocked him on waivers, so they have to wait til after the season to ship him to the Os.

Comment

Swiss , you have to add the Javy Lopez-PTBNL Adam Stern deal

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan

Renteria and Cash for Marte.
            Both player didn’t play any game for the RedSox this Season
            I have no idea why we give up on a multiple All-Star after only one year. And then give him up, eat much of his contract to get an overrated prospect like Marte, who we traded anyway.
            2006: Bad trade. C-
            Future: Bad trade.
            Marte is an overrated prospect? What gives you that idea?

I didnt like shipping off Renteria either, but Marte might end up being all hes being billed as.

Comment

I believe Carlos Pena was signed as a free agent, while it is Jason, not Josh, Johnson who went winless for the Red Sox.
              Frank's Field of Dreams
              "If I build it, you'll come."

Comment

PTBNL= Player to be named later. I didn't know about Stern. Who is it now Stern or Machado?

Comment

Swiss , you have to add the Javy Lopez-PTBNL Adam Stern deal
                  True. Thanks...and the Eric Hinske deal also...

Comment

You didn't add the fact that you released JAvy Lopez, ahem, excuse me, in favour of KEN HUCKABY!

Anyway, bad job this year, as I said before the year started, you will finish third!!

AND I'M RIGHT AGAIN! RELY on me!
                    Cristobal

Comment

I dont know why Red Sox fans wanted our GM so badly back when he refused to sign a contract extension. He is here, had a very bad season. We finished third, which is awful. Now I hear from alot of RedSox fans they dont want Epstein anymore.

Baseball is a game where feelings about someone change very fast obviously...

Comment

Trading a young quality starting pitcher when you have a rotation of geriatrics was mind-numbingly stupid. Pena would need to be in Ortiz/Manny territory to justify that trade. That alone cost us the playoffs. Even though Beckett did worse than expected, I still really like that trade. I agree with getting rid of Renteria, but it only highlights how bad the signing was in the first place. Overall, I'm very disappointed with Theo & Co the last two years. Part of me still doesn't care because we finally won, but a few more goofs and we could actually, God forbid, have a really crappy ballclub.
                        BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan
                          I dont know why Red Sox fans wanted our GM so badly back when he refused to sign a contract extension. He is here, had a very bad season. We finished third, which is awful. Now I hear from alot of RedSox fans they dont want Epstein anymore.
                          I want to give him a couple of more years, but his grade for the last two seasons in in the D/C range after being an A. Things are only going to get tougher because the Blue Jays are determined to compete.
                          BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

with a rotation of schilling, beckett, papplebon and wakefield and hopefully a 5th guy they can sign such as padilla or meche, u gotta think we look good going into next year...

Comment

Originally posted by johnbuckformvp
                              with a rotation of schilling, beckett, papplebon and wakefield and hopefully a 5th guy they can sign such as padilla or meche, u gotta think we look good going into next year...
                              The rotation cant get any worse than this year. The Red Sox tried desperate to give some struggling guys (Johnson, Snyder, Jarvis) a chance, because of the injuries, but they didnt get the turnaround...

And our Farm didnt got it done either...(Hansen, Di Nardo, Lester first good then struggling, Gabbard, Pauley)

Hansack and Tavarez were good surprises...

we need now one or two more starters. And really good starters. Because we lost Wells, Clement is unsure as Lester. Papaelbon we dont know if hell be a closer or a starter and Wakefield is also unsure because of Mirabelli gone...

So we absolutely need 2, 4.00 ERA-starters.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X