Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye, old friend. The Trot Nixon thread. (and others)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye, old friend. The Trot Nixon thread. (and others)

Well, Trot led off today and went 1-3.

This will probably be his last game in a Red Sox uniform. He's been in the organization since 94, and is the 2nd longest tenured Sox still left. (wake)

The real Dirt Dog, he left it all on the field, and injuries really stopped his career from taking off the way it should have.

He has had some huge hits including two homeruns against the Yankees (who could forget the one off the Rocket?), and the bases clearing double in the world series.

I'll miss him, as he and Nomar have been my favorite players since I started following baseball in 96. Good luck Trot, wherever you go.

[IMG][/IMG]

A young Trot!

All the best to you Trot!!!

http://www.thesoxtrot.zoomshare.com/1.html .... Word to Trot!!

You can also say bye to anyone else you like, although i'm not going to be mourning the loss of Rudy Seanez.. I will miss Gonzalez if hes not brought back, even if he was here for only a year.

Oh yes, and after reading Annie's post, i must say, although i'm saying goodbye to him, I wouldn't be one bit upset if the Sox brought him back!
    Last edited by EvanAparra; 10-01-2006, 06:35 PM.

Oh my gosh, he's such a little kid in that last picture!

Trot has been one of my favorites ever since he stepped onto Fenway's turf. I bought my Trot t-shirt after his unforgettable game-winning shot off Clemens in 2000. It's a little faded now.... but still my favorite.

If it weren't for the injuries over the last 3 years I don't think we'd be talking about seeing the last of #7 in right field. Of all the rotten luck...

He's probably gone.... but it's not written in stone yet. I know, I know, there are better RFers out there... but none of them are TROT.

A tip of the cap to you, #7.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

Yeah, he always felt like a true Red Sox, which is pretty hard to describe. I always like how his hat was dirty.

Comment

All I can say is good luck Trot. Your dirt dog style will be greatly missed in Beantown!!

Comment

Damn the cost..KEEP TROT IN FENWAY!
          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

.... Needless to say, I love this picture.

Comment

Trot is one of three people left on the Sox from when I lived there. The others are Wakefield and Varitek. I'll miss him.

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                Trot has been one of my favorites ever since he stepped onto Fenway's turf. I bought my Trot t-shirt after his unforgettable game-winning shot off Clemens in 2000. It's a little faded now.... but still my favorite.
                Before the late David Ortiz single in the 14th of Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, that was my favorite Red Sox moment. It will always be my favorite Trot Nixon moment.

I wish I weren't so bogged down at the moment so I could wax nostalgic about Trot. One day I plan to write a full narrative about his experience on Sept. 11, 2001, the day his son was born. Anyone who isn't touched by his account of driving from the Carolina's, past Washington, D.C. and NYC, his emotional extremes of seeing the immense column of dust and smoke shrouding Manhattan before arriving in Boston several hours later to hold his first child, doesn't have an ounce of humanity in them.

He'll always be more than just a right fielder to me and I'll miss him.

Originally posted by http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,645199614,00.html
                THE NEWEST MEMBER: Sept. 11 is a day to celebrate in the Nixon household.
                Red Sox outfielder Trot Nixon's son, Chase, turns 5 on the 11th. He was born a few hours after the attacks.
                Nixon was traveling with the Sox from New York to Tampa when he got the call from his expectant wife, Kathryn. She had gone into labor. Trot caught a plane back home. But the plane was diverted to Norfolk, Va., when all planes were grounded after the attacks.
                Trot ended up driving back to Boston and didn't get to see his son born at 1:26 p.m. on Sept. 11, 2001.
                In the five years since his child was born, Nixon has become a much more spiritual person.
                "I was upset because this happened to our country and to all the people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania," Nixon said. "But in the same sense, I look at what a wonderful gift I was given with the gift of life that God allowed my wife and I to have, and a lot of people to have."
                He said he was grateful to the Boston media for running stories of his son's birth — a bright spot in an otherwise unrelenting torrent of sad and demoralizing news that week.
                Someday, Nixon says, he'll explain to Chase the circumstances surrounding his birthday.
                "The big thing is, we're going to tell Chase that when he gets to a certain age that he wasn't a jinx. He was a huge bright spot," Nixon said. "I think about it a little bit. You remember what happened. But for the most part, it's his birthday, and it'll be crazy around our house with his friends running around."

2007 World Series Champions
                The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Nice post Flash.

That's a great story about his sons' birth.

Trot will be greatly missed.
                  Ken :gt

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                    He'll always be more than just a right fielder to me and I'll miss him.

That about sums it up.

Some players are far more than another uniform on the field. Trot embodies much of what the Sox were, and hopefully, what they are soon to be again: drive, skill and determination.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy does he have to gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo?????:noidea
                      "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Alas poor Trot, I knew him well.........

Comment

Originally posted by Murderer's Row
                          Alas poor Trot, I knew him well.........
                          What exactly does that mean? Hopefully, something positive about Trot Nixon, as this is the Red Sox forum.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                            What exactly does that mean? Hopefully, something positive about Trot Nixon, as this is the Red Sox forum.
                            Yes of course. I like him much more then Manny, or Damon when he was on the Red Sox. And I guess I might be a teensy-weensy kinda sorta tiny bit sorry to see him go. I think I will pay him, in my opinion at least, the ultimate compliment: He would have been a good Yankee.
                            Last edited by Murderer's Row; 10-06-2006, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Murderer's Row
                              Yes of course. I like him much more then Manny, or Damon when he was on the Red Sox. And I guess I might be a teensy-weensy kinda sorta tiny bit sorry to see him go. I think I will pay him, in my opinion at least, the ultimate compliment: He would have been a good Yankee.
                              Sounds good. Many Red Sox fans here enjoyed his style of play, and how he'd hustled his way to winning. He certainly had spirit and provided many interesting Red Sox moments out there. I'm just happy that the remarks were complimentary of him.
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                              THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                              Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X