Theo says Papelbon will be a starter next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theo says Papelbon will be a starter next year

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein confirmed Sunday that Jonathan Papelbon would enter spring training as a starting pitcher. - From BDD.

Amen!!

it will be interesting to see how he goes considering he cant go out there as fired up as what he was this season coming in in the ninth..... any ideas on the closer for next season?? is foulke any chance?
    GOT GRADY??

The Outside Corner - A Modern Look at Professional Sports

www.outsidecorner.bravehost.com

Comment

Maybe Foulke, or i'm thinking maybe Manny DelCarmen... I dont think there are any big FA's they can bring in.

Comment

I think if Papelbon can make the transition and be a good starter, he is far more valuable to the team. I'd have some concerns though, namely his ability to stay healthy over a full season. Young pitchers nowadays, for whatever reason, just don't seem to able to do it. The fact that Papelbon had some injury troubles under the duress of closing doesn't bode well for projecting 200+ innings - but if he can do it, he'll be more valuable to the team.

Also, there doesn't appear to be much coming available in free agency for closers. My guess is that the Red Sox will either hope that Keith Foulke can return to form, or they'll look within the organization, perhaps to Craig Hansen or Manny Delcarmen, and hope they can capture lighting in a bottle again like they did with Papelbon.

Comment

Why does everyone act surprised at this? This has been the idea for a year: he serves as a closer for 2006 to fill in for Foulke and returns as a starter for 2007 with Hansen as a closer(or someone else should he flop).

His great pitching in 2006 wasn't going to stop them from converting him back to being a starter, they had more need in the bullpen early in 2006 and an excess of starters at the time, now it's the reverse with the developement of the youngsters.
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by flea45
            it will be interesting to see how he goes considering he cant go out there as fired up as what he was this season coming in in the ninth..... any ideas on the closer for next season?? is foulke any chance?
            I don't think so. Here's what Theo's thinking:

Obviously, the loss of a closer means the Red Sox will be looking to fill that position in the offseason. And while Epstein said there's a chance that the job will be filled from within, he added, "We certainly will be looking aggressively outside the organization."
            "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Hansen better not be 2007's closer, or there will be a lot more heart attacks in New England next year.

Do you think the Sox should take a chance on Eric Gagne? He's as good a closer as there is...when he's healthy, which isn't much.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                I think if Papelbon can make the transition and be a good starter, he is far more valuable to the team....
                That's interesting - I've heard several people say similar things. I guess it isn't as clear to me as it is to others that starters are so much more valuable.

Would you say Mariano Rivera would be more valuable to the Yankees as a starter? Or is it something unique about Papelbon that would make him better as a starter rather than as a closer?

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ
                  That's interesting - I've heard several people say similar things. I guess it isn't as clear to me as it is to others that starters are so much more valuable.

Would you say Mariano Rivera would be more valuable to the Yankees as a starter? Or is it something unique about Papelbon that would make him better as a starter rather than as a closer?
                  I think Rivera would be as well, and I think people tend to overstate Rivera's value. Don't get me wrong, I believe Rivera to be probably the greatest closing pitcher in history, but I don't believe closers are as valuable as people make them out to be. For starters, baseball got by just fine until around 1980 without closers. But more than that, being a closer is a very team dependent position. You generally only pitch an inning, a small handful might be asked to pitch more every now and then, and you're generally only going to contribute after your team is already winning. The game is played for 9 innings, and closers don't have a hand in what happens in the first 8.

On the flip-side, starting pitcher eat innings. If Papelbon can throw 200 good innings, that gives him more value, IMO, than being a closer and throwing 75 great innings. He's contributing more of the time as a starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Redlightning
                    Hansen better not be 2007's closer, or there will be a lot more heart attacks in New England next year.
                    Next year is not this year. He struggled but he also started off well too. His problem was that he was overused, just like Delcarman and the other rookies. He was thrown into a situation he wasn't ready for this year, he would not have been up in Boston until September if not for the decemeated pitching staff. He needed to stay in AAA this year.

He has six months to work on his mechanics and whatever else is causing his struggles, he should be fine for opening day next year. Same is true with Papelbon and the others- they need a rest badly. Six months from now everyone will be touting the youngsters again and forgetting the struggles of the last six weeks.
                    Best posts ever:
                    Originally posted by nymdan
                    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Thank god!
                      But now the auditions for the 2007 Boston Red Sox Closer begins. Names will be thrown around. Ones like Foulke, Delcarmen, Timlin, Hansen, Gagne (possible free agent) and Lidge (trade possibilty). No matter what..I will feel uneasy until they prove/reprove themselves as a dominant closer (like what Papelbon did). The pitching staff will be fine. Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, (Possibly) Lester and Wakefield. The bullpen hopefully will get reloaded. But today is not only Rally Monday for the playoff teams but the beginning of the "Hot Stove" talks for non-contending teams. This is the best time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by rwolfe09
                        But today is not only Rally Monday for the playoff teams but the beginning of the "Hot Stove" talks for non-contending teams. This is the best time of the year.
                        It's a little easier for us to stomach since we sort of knew this was going to be the case about a month ago. I'd hate to be a Houston fan right now, though.
                        "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Jonathan Papelbon (sp??)

He says he'll start next season, what do you guys think of that?
                          "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

He's going to start next season. It's great. Starters are more valuable, even if they dont pitch as well.

Comment

Just please don't tell 07 is gonna be like 03.....closer by committe!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X