Theo says Papelbon will be a starter next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbb3601
    Just please don't tell 07 is gonna be like 03.....closer by committe!
    Closer by Committe isnt that bad. Chad Fox is that bad.

Comment

but paplebon as a closer IS that good

Comment

Originally posted by bbb3601
        but paplebon as a closer IS that good
        Doesn't matter, if he can pitch 200 innings at a 3.40 ERA id rather have him there.

Comment

since we are on the topic of our beloved sox...any recent news on clement?

Comment

i cant disagree with that but i just loooovvveee some 45 saves and a .80

Comment

He might not pitch next year either last i heard.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                Doesn't matter, if he can pitch 200 innings at a 3.40 ERA id rather have him there.

Well I'd say nailing down every save situation and not blowing a save would bebetter than that.
                "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

He wont nail down every save situation, because no one ever does. And he probably wont have a sub 1 ERA. I'll take that 3.40 era over 200 innings than a 2.10 ERA over 80 innings.

Comment

i see your side...but if i was a f/a looking to sign with the sox i would not be comfortable with what they have after moving pap...again just my opinion....is there reallty a wrong answer in this one? i just wonder how many games we won this year because the starters could be comfortable and throw pitches they normally wouldnt because they knew they had the best closer in the game....poop on rivera

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
                      Well I'd say nailing down every save situation and not blowing a save would bebetter than that.
                      What team nails down every save situation? The blown save average for a MLB team falls between 18 and 22 per season. This year the Redsox had 23 blown saves as a team for a 67% save conversion, good for 12th in the MLB. The best team in the league closing out ballgames was the Twins and even they blew 10.
                      Bleeding Cardinal Red since 1985
                      In the stands for every home playoff game since then -- 2006 and 2011 were well worth the wait!

Comment

Originally posted by cardsfanatic
                        What team nails down every save situation? The blown save average for a MLB team falls between 18 and 22 per season. This year the Redsox had 23 blown saves as a team for a 67% save conversion, good for 12th in the MLB. The best team in the league closing out ballgames was the Twins and even they blew 10.
                        Thats because if a reliever gives up the lead after the 6th inning I think it is, it counts as a blown save

Comment

Being moved to the Red Sox forum.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Merging with similar thread.
                            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

i can imagine him as a starter but i dont think he should be one hes a great closer lets hope hes not a Raycroft and has a great rookie year and then stinks his second year but if hes good as a closer this year keep him one, but if hes bad i say merge him to a starter and see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                                The fact that Papelbon had some injury troubles under the duress of closing doesn't bode well for projecting 200+ innings - but if he can do it, he'll be more valuable to the team.
                                i think the main reason they made this decision is that doctors convinced themselves it would be healthier for him to pitch 200+ scheduled innings, giving him the oppurtunity to undergo a workout regimine in his offdays, than it would for him to pitch 80 all-out unpredictable innings.

that said, my biggest fear for him is definitely health. thats what it is with any good young pitcher. so many pitcher have been outstanding for a few years, and then they get hurt and they end up playing with 7 ML teams when all is said and done. i'd be surprised if its true, but it FEELS like that happens way more often than not nowadays.

if the shoulder injury was as minor as its been made out to be, though, then i'm not particularly concerned (but i'm still very concerned). i'm just praying he goes on the clemens workout; i know of 3 pitchers that have done it: clemens, pettite, and schilling. while clemens is the only downright amazing pitcher in that group, they've all had extremely effective and healthy careers.

one thing that helps put my mind at ease, too, is the fact this kid seems to have earned his reputation as an extremely dedicated, hard worker. i just feel like he'll do anything and everything he can to make sure he has an effective career.

as for the closer, we'll see...i'd like to get a lights out closer, but i'd bet that between foulke and hansen, one of them will have a closer-quality season. as for closer by comitee, i think thats a fine plan IF you have a closer-quality pitcher. the reason it sucked in 03 was cus we didn't have anyone worthy of closing. also, you'd need to get some team oriented guys that understand their job is to pitch the biggest innings and help the team win, not rack up saves.
                                Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X