Ron Jackson's Job in jeopardy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Jackson's Job in jeopardy?

Epstein, who will conduct meetings on Monday morning, said that the club could announce any changes to the coaching staff as early as the same day. Hitting coach Ron Jackson has been rumored to be in the most serious danger of not returning.

"If we do make changes, we're not finger-pointing," Epstein said. "It's merely an assessment of every aspect of the organization."
    So they might fire the guy that turned Papi from a mediocre hitter into (arguably) the most feared bat in the American League? Anyone else have some insight as to why this might be a possibility?
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Papi aside, they struggled at the plate for the 2nd half of the year. It was his job to find out the problem and fix it, unfortunately he didn't do it. As much as Papi owes him his career, Jackson fell asleep at the wheel.

They did it before- don't forget that they fired one of the team's all time greatest hitters, a man named Jim Rice. Rice is still around, Jackson could be simply reassigned to a new role like Rice was. Not exactly fired, but no longer the team's hitting coach.

I doubt he is the lone firing, I'd put good money on Wallace and or Nipper getting fired as well due to the pitching staff's struggles.
    Last edited by efin98; 10-02-2006, 10:19 AM.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Nipper didn't do too hot as the pitching coach and neither did Wallace. But Wallace was gone most of the season. So, I'm not putting any money on who stays and who goes but I can guarantee there will be people fired. Maybe they'll bring Orel Hershiser in as the pitching coach. Lol. Nevermind, that was just a weird idea.

Comment

David Wells - strength and conditioning coach

Comment

The Red Sox announced just a little bit ago that pitching coach, Dave Wallace and hitting coach Ron Jackson haven't been retained (they've been let go).
          ===========================================
          October 02, 2006
          Jackson, Wallace go
          By Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff
          The first falls for the disappointing 2006 Red Sox season came today in the forms of hitting coach Ron Jackson and pitching coach Dave Wallace. Their contracts will not be renewed for the 2007 season by mutual agreement.

Jackson spent four years as the Red Sox hitting coach after being appointed to that position prior to the 2003 season. Wallace joined Boston as interim pitching coach in June 2003 and assumed the position on a fulltime basis the following season. He missed the first half of the 2006 season due to illness, returning to the team in midseason after undergoing hip replacement surgery earlier this year.

Neither Jackson nor Wallace is expected to remain with the Red Sox organization in a different capacity.

The Red Sox finished the 2006 season with an 86-76 record, good for third place in the American League East. It is the first time Boston has not finished in second in the past nine years. As a team, they hit .269, 12th in the American League, and finished with a 4.83 team ERA, 11th-best in the AL.

Comment

Originally posted by rwolfe09
            Maybe they'll bring Orel Hershiser in as the pitching coach. Lol. Nevermind, that was just a weird idea.
            Why not bring him in? If he and Tito click and he can get them to turn around and develope the young pitchers he should get a shot at being the pitching coach.
            Best posts ever:

Comment

Why they'd get rid of Papa Jack I just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
                Why they'd get rid of Papa Jack I just don't know.
                He didn't get the hitters out of their slumps which is what his job is. If you didn't do your job your boss would fire you, it's the same for him.

Fan favorite or not, he failed at his job this year and it cost them dearly. He had to go. He won't be gone from the team, just won't be their hitting coach any more.
                Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                  He didn't get the hitters out of their slumps which is what his job is. If you didn't do your job your boss would fire you, it's the same for him.

Fan favorite or not, he failed at his job this year and it cost them dearly. He had to go. He won't be gone from the team, just won't be their hitting coach any more.
                  Scapegoat-- nothing more, well maybe a wake up call for Francona. How exactly could Papa Jack help a team get out of their collective batting slump when for the second half (Red Sox hit .284 the first half) of the year parts or most of the varsity was either on the DL or playing hurt? No amount of coaching could get Coco's finger not to hurt every time he made contact.

Here's his farewell letter:
                  I want to thank the Red Sox and all the fans of this great team. I will always be able to cherish being a part of Boston's long road back to the World Series, and I loved watching the development and the hard work of the players during my time here in Boston.
                  During my tenure here in Boston, I was proud to be part of one of the most explosive offenses in baseball and Red Sox history. I am happy to say I was part of that. One of the most memorable things in Boston for me was working with the world-class hitters on this club, especially David Ortiz. Working with David and watching him train every day to develop into the player that he is today is something I will remember forever.

I am sure that Terry's decision to move in a different direction without me is part of the logical plan to help the team get back on track to another World Series which the fans, the guys on the team, and the whole organization deserve.

Boston is a great sports city, and I have every confidence the ownership and management will create a combination of players that will work together to win again.

Thank you for sharing some of these important memories in life with me over the past four seasons.

I will miss you all.

Ron "Papa Jack" Jackson
                  EDIT: I'm not sure how I feel about Wallace, it seems he too was besieged by injuries to his pitching staff-- and losing Tek hurt. But maybe we shouldn't have to rely on our catcher to get the youngsters through the innings.
                  Last edited by maximum jack; 10-03-2006, 06:50 AM.
                  "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack
                    Scapegoat-- nothing more, well maybe a wake up call for Francona.
                    Scapegoat? He isn't the only one gone- Wallace is gone too. Nipper is as well(left after Wallace came back) so he isn't the scapegoat. The players were complaining about the coaches, when multiple guys are complaining there has to be something going on there and the only solution was to not retain the guys they are complaining about and bring in someone new from outside the organization to observe, evaluate, and fix the problem- that's why Jackson was brought in, to fix what was bothering the hitters that Jim Rice couldn't solve while he was the hitting coach.

How exactly could Papa Jack help a team get out of their collective batting slump when for the second half (Red Sox hit .284 the first half) of the year parts or most of the varsity was either on the DL or playing hurt? No amount of coaching could get Coco's finger not to hurt every time he made contact.
                    Despite injuries he still has to figure out what is wrong with their their hitting. He has no control over their ailments but he does have control over what they do at the plate- and he couldn't control that. At times they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at times even with everyone healthy.

Sorry but if he can't get some of the best hitters in the league to come around then he isn't doing his job.
                    Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                      Scapegoat? He isn't the only one gone- Wallace is gone too. Nipper is as well(left after Wallace came back) so he isn't the scapegoat. The players were complaining about the coaches, when multiple guys are complaining there has to be something going on there and the only solution was to not retain the guys they are complaining about and bring in someone new from outside the organization to observe, evaluate, and fix the problem- that's why Jackson was brought in, to fix what was bothering the hitters that Jim Rice couldn't solve while he was the hitting coach.

Despite injuries he still has to figure out what is wrong with their their hitting. He has no control over their ailments but he does have control over what they do at the plate- and he couldn't control that. At times they couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at times even with everyone healthy.

Sorry but if he can't get some of the best hitters in the league to come around then he isn't doing his job.

I mentioned Wallace (see EDIT above). I hadn't heard anything about the complaints from the players. I would love to read those, do you have a link?

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack
                        I mentioned Wallace (see EDIT above). I hadn't heard anything about the complaints from the players. I would love to read those, do you have a link?
                        Boston Herald yesterday along with more depth into the reasonings why he and the pitching coaches were not retained in the Providence Journal

This says it all regarding Jackson not being retained:

Jackson's dismissal was not a surprise. Since last season, manager Terry Francona felt the need to augment Jackson with Mike Barnett, whom Francona deemed more proficient in the technical side of hitting.

In addition, a number of Red Sox veterans had voiced their frustration over Jackson's inability to help fix swings or break them out of slumps.

"That was my decision," said Francona of the decision to not bring Jackson back. "I don't want anyone to be a scapegoat for our lack of wins. At the same time, in my position, every coach has specific (duties) and there's a very specific way I want them to be handled around here (and it's important) to be 100 percent on the same page.
                        Best posts ever:

Comment

I'm surprised at Wallace. The guy was ailing all season long. How much of it was his fault?

As far as Jackson goes, blame him if you'd like, but it wasn't the hitting that let the Sox down this season.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                            As far as Jackson goes, blame him if you'd like, but it wasn't the hitting that let the Sox down this season.
                            From the ProJo article it looks like he has been on the hot seat for a while and he would have been out regardless of the hitting this year, the fact that the team had slumps that he couldn't fix only added to their reasons why he would not be retain...blame had nothing to do with it.
                            Best posts ever:

Comment

I'm glad Francona took responsibility for the decision, but I don't like the phrase "a number of Red Sox veterans." They're playing he-said-she-said. If someone had a problem and voiced their opinion, I'd like to know who it was.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X