Ortiz deserving of MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoubleX
    Now which player would appear more valuable? A player that has another teammate that contributed about as much to their team's total wins, or the player that did not have a teammate with consummate contributions to his team's total wins? Jeter stands alone without another teammate standing out with him, while Ortiz has Manny, Mauer, Morenau, and Santana have each other, and Dye has Thome.
    I just dont agree with this at all... I know theres no Yankees in the top 15, but A-Rod is close, and the Yankee lineup is the best there is right now, so its kind of hard to argue this on the behalf of Jeter... When you have Abreu, Damon, A-Rod, Cano, Posada, and sometimes Sheffield and Matsui batting around you, it kind of loses the flavor of him being a stand alone guy.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
      I just dont agree with this at all... I know theres no Yankees in the top 15, but A-Rod is close, and the Yankee lineup is the best there is right now, so its kind of hard to argue this on the behalf of Jeter... When you have Abreu, Damon, A-Rod, Cano, Posada, and sometimes Sheffield and Matsui batting around you, it kind of loses the flavor of him being a stand alone guy.
      That's true, but I also believe it's hard to argue for Ortiz as the most valuable in the league when he has teammate that is shown to be just as valuable (and despite missing the last month). Jeter stands out much further above any of his teammates than Ortiz or the Twins and White Sox guys. The top 10 or so are the players we're looking at for MVP. If Jeter wasn't there, the Yankees wouldn't have anyone in top 15 in terms of win shares value, and thus wouldn't have any viable MVP candidates. If Ortiz wasn't there, the Sox would still have someone up there, same with the Twins and White Sox if one of their players were missing.

I also want to make clear that this is all not meant to say that I think Jeter should be the MVP, just that I think he is more deserving than Ortiz. I'm still undecided on who should be the actual MVP.

Comment

Well, I still believe Ortiz to be MVP, but seems like everyone has their own way of determining it. I would have actually wanted to give it to Manny, until the crap he pulled at the end of the season.

Comment

Ortiz was the best player in baseball last year and this year. He contributes enough to this club even if he doesn't play the feild. He should be MVP hands down
          "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Originally posted by keepthefaith3
            Ortiz was the best player in baseball last year and this year. He contributes enough to this club even if he doesn't play the feild. He should be MVP hands down
            How's Ortiz the best player in baseball when he doesn't even play the field. The best player in baseball would be a man name Albert Pujols.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
              How's Ortiz the best player in baseball when he doesn't even play the field. The best player in baseball would be a man name Albert Pujols.
              What about Vladimir?

Comment

i'm tired of stating my case over and over, but at the same time i want as many people as possible to hear it lol, but:
                papi doesn't deserve the mvp, but as far as i'm concerned he deserves it well more than jeter. there is not a single bias that gives jeter the award, except a collection of biases that conveniently lead to jeter being the mvp, or a general bias for the yankees/people named derek jeter. the same, however, can be said for papi. i guess he has the HR/RBI bias, actually, but that's all.
                and he dominates the "clutch" or "luck" bias, whichever you think of it as, too i guess.

the only thing that makes me mad about papi this year (though it makes me really, really mad) is his walkoffs-whether luck or not- this year was one of the most incredible things i've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. i think i was somewhere he reached base 16 of 18 times when he had a chance for a walkoff, and the 2 outs came in the bottom of the tenth with no one on and no one out. that's all going to waste. if the sox had made the playoffs, that would be remembered as one of the most "heroic" (i hate using words like that in sports, but pundits'd use it tons) seasons an athlete has ever had.

instead its all a waste.

not entirely relevant, i know, but my general point is that i hate how this would have been a a clear MVP year for papi if the sox won the division by 1 game, it was likely the best year he'll ever have, and possibly the most exciting season i'll ever have a chance to watch as a baseball fan.
                Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X