No announcement yet.

How will Damon be greeted at Fenway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think (hope) that Maldonado was speaking figuratively... I don't know as people would make a special trip to Boston to express their unhappiness with his decision, but I can see them "welcoming" the Yankees' bus through the streets with an especially vocal greeting.

I know he'll get booed into a hole in the ground, but there will be some fans more gracious and forgiving and forebearing than others, who will thank him for his 4 years' service. They'll be outnumbered about 50-1, probably.

If the new Boston CF (Coco Crisp, or whomever) performs well in April, then the boos might not be quite as bitter. But if the new guy stumbles out of the gate... Damon will be the villain, and the boos will be rich and loud and most unequivocal.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

I figure that for his first game in Fenway--and the entire series there, he'll get laughed at and get less harsh treatment the next day (or series) if he makes a defensive or baserunning gaffe to cost the Yanks a win. However, if his defense, baserunning and hitting helps him to win, then he'll be roundly booed, and quite vocally I'd say.

If Coco Crisp outplays him offensively, defensively and in baserunning, I figure they'll let Damon go easy.

*cheers for the boos*
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Damon wont get a bad reception..he will get a HORRENDOUS reception. Regardless of what Co co Crisp can do for us. He was the founding father so to speak of the our team, the captiann "idiot" and meant more to the redsox fans then Nomar did in his prime. Its a shame and i think he will hate coming to Boston.
        The 2006 Boston Red Sox are better on paper then both the 2004 world championship team, and the 2005 team.
        Predictions:
        Josh Beckett wins 23 Games
        Mike Lowell has a bounce back season
        Kevin Youkillis will be exposed as a bench player, nothing more.
        Curt Schilling will have his worst season, ever.
        Coco Crisp will create more runs then Damon did in 2005.
        Trot Nixon will be on the DL 3 times.
        Keith Foulke will lose Closers job to Hanson by June.

And the Boston Red Sox will win 99 games

Comment

I hope that all of Fenway will stand up and turn their backs on him. No booing allowed, only the silent treatment. He always wanted to end his career in Boston; he has done that. Was the wedding that expensive that 12 million more had to cover it? I still take rather personally, yet, after 43 years as a solid fan, one goes on. Besides Sox in 06!

Comment

Originally posted by monty
            Damon wont get a bad reception..he will get a HORRENDOUS reception. Regardless of what Co co Crisp can do for us. He was the founding father so to speak of the our team, the captiann "idiot" and meant more to the redsox fans then Nomar did in his prime. Its a shame and i think he will hate coming to Boston.
            Even though it's a different story, as it's an older player, but how would this contrast to how Clemens was treated at Fenway? The infamous "DARRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYLLLLLLLLL" thing from the 1986 WS (re the Mets' Darry Strawberry in RF) was repeated in "ROGGGEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" in I think, the 2003 ALCS, and a few regular season games.

Roger, unlike Nomah and Damon, played quite a few seasons in Boston, and to some I've heard from here, could've retired after 1996 and gone into Cooperstown.

After the 1st series, followed by the 2nd, do you think there will still be the strong resentment? Or will he ever just be "another Yankee"?

Yeah, I know, I ask crazy questions. Just get over it.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by scriptito
              I hope that all of Fenway will stand up and turn their backs on him. No booing allowed, only the silent treatment. He always wanted to end his career in Boston; he has done that. Was the wedding that expensive that 12 million more had to cover it? I still take rather personally, yet, after 43 years as a solid fan, one goes on. Besides Sox in 06!
              Right on. That's my idea exactly. How awesome would it be to see all of Fenway Park just turn their backs on him. Just to let him know that we don't care. Bye bye Johnny.
              http://silencefordamon.blogspot.com/
              http://www.petitiononline.com/damon/petition.html

Comment

Treatment

A sea of Damon jerseys, many homemade, with horizontal pinstripes. Boston police happy: extra police details to protect Damon.

Who were the two Sox outfielders, that when they knelt together in the outfield to talk, their backs read "1918"?

Damon should not be in New York.

HURRY UP, SEASON, BEFORE I START PLAYING BASEBALL WITH THE CAT!
                Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Originally posted by D-No
                  I'm not taking Damon off the hook, but he's not totally to blame. The Sox initial offer to Damon was 3yr/27M...That's saying he was worth a million less a year than Edgar Renteria. If I'm JD, I'm feeling a bit hurt by that offer. To further widen the rift, when agent Scott Boras received the offer, he was brusquely asked to have an answer by Christmas Eve. I'm no fan of Scott Boras, but the man is entirely too good at what he does to be buffaloed by a Red Sox official who wants to be percieved as a hard core action man. If the Sox had offered Damon a fair market deal from the outset, rather than deploying an insulting slap-and-tickle form of negotiation, we wouldn't have to look at JD's smooth and beautiful face in pinstripes.
                  As far as a fan reaction, I anticipate a mixed bag, boos from the fans who forgot his contributions to the team (which should be acknowledged in my humble opinion), and cheers from those who were fans up to the point when JD signed with the Yankees.
                  Is it all about the money these days? tsk tsk hes already set for life.

Comment

I think Damon will flop in New York, he won't thrive in that environment. The Bronx fans will not give him the benefit of the doubt. What do they owe him? How can Damon become a cult hero in pinstripes? Isn't his status all to do with attitude, appearance and irreverance... not traits likely to impress the Yankees organisation. He is not worth that much money, I think the Yanks have made a mistake and the Sox will probably emerge the better from the deal. The only true loss is Damon's reputation, he's quite happy with the money. Crisp will be a success and the Nation will forgive Damon if he is a bust in New York.

Comment

I'll be the coward in RF boo'ing him May 1st. I CAN'T WAIT!
                      twitter.com/NewEnglandFans

Comment

Originally posted by Simayl
                        I think Damon will flop in New York, he won't thrive in that environment. The Bronx fans will not give him the benefit of the doubt. What do they owe him? How can Damon become a cult hero in pinstripes? Isn't his status all to do with attitude, appearance and irreverance... not traits likely to impress the Yankees organisation. He is not worth that much money, I think the Yanks have made a mistake and the Sox will probably emerge the better from the deal. The only true loss is Damon's reputation, he's quite happy with the money. Crisp will be a success and the Nation will forgive Damon if he is a bust in New York.
                        As much as many Sox fans might like it to happen, I see no reason to believe that Damon will be a bust in NY. He is a guy who thrives in the limelight. Sure, he'll start a natural fizzle after a couple of years due to his age. But beyond that, I certainly don't see him as a guy who's going to shrink under the scrutiny. His status has a lot to do with his production on the field, as well as his swagger.

By the way, I don't think Sox fans give their players the benefit of the doubt too often, either. I also don't think that Damon is ever going to be forgiven by the Nation, regardless of what he does in NY. Just my own humble opinion.
                        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Simayl
                          I'm curious, which Yankee fans have you spoken with that have said he'd never be given the benefit of the doubt? Like Giambi in 2002, I expect to hear boos until he actually produces, but then again, Mantle and Tino were booed because of the guys they'd replaced (DiMaggio and Donnie Baseball, respectively). Damon's replacing Bernie, who IMO is an icon equivalent to Donnie and Paul O'Neill, so it's a tough chore.

I'll only say that for people like Damon and Pedro--who to me, had a much larger effect on the Red Sox, and for many more years--don't really have the same expectations re cult status when they leave.

As to cult status in the Bronx, I'd say look for the names Mantle, DiMaggio, Gehrig, Ruth as examples. There are others who are very popular, but not as much as those guys.

We have yet to see how Damon will behave as a Yankee. He's certainly a lot more expecting of the center of attention than say, Derek Jeter, but some guys, especially Reggie Jackson, have done well while expecting the spotlight be on them.

Was he worth the money? I'm guessing that in lieu of a 7-yr deal, the extra $1m/season was tacked onto the 4-yr deal. Will his speed, his ability to get to the ball, his ability to lead off (given that Jeter doesn't end up taking that role) benefit the Yanks? If I could answer that, I'd have picked some nice Lottery tickets by now.

There's no guarantee what Coco Crisp will do either. He's return to CF, but this time on a team that expects to make the playoffs annually. What he does offensively and defensively, like Damon, will have to be seen later on during the season. First we need to *GET* to the season before anything else.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X