New hiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hiring

The Red Sox have hired former San Diego Hitting Coach Dave Magadan. His assigned role is unknown at this point.

I think it is possible that he could be the new first base coach should Bill Haselman choose to manage one of the Sox' minor league teams or could be just a simple special assistant to the GM...
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

I personally don't get it. San Diego's offense wasn't exactly tearing it up lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
      I personally don't get it. San Diego's offense wasn't exactly tearing it up lately.
      Yeah, I agree, except Padres' Park is a pitching park. That doesn't fully discount it though.

Comment

What happened or will happen with our 2006 Hitting Coach ???

Comment

Sox general manager Theo Epstein knew Magadan from their time together in San Diego. Magadan could also be used in a special assistant's role to Epstein.
          This coupled with the fact that Magadan has been jobless since July 15th, suddenly makes Ron Jackson's firing make sense.
          "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack
            This coupled with the fact that Magadan has been jobless since July 15th, suddenly makes Ron Jackson's firing make sense.
            You simply can't accept the reason why he was fired at face value, can you?
            Last edited by efin98; 10-14-2006, 07:14 PM.
            Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by TheKingofKings
              What happened or will happen with our 2006 Hitting Coach ???
              He's gone. Been gone since the end of the season.
              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98

Don't make it this personal, please.
                Discuss what you think, not what you see as wrong with someone else here.
                Last edited by SoxSon; 10-14-2006, 07:49 PM.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                  Lol, I don't believe San Diego's offense has ever been tearing it up since moving to PETCO Park?

Not sure what his role is, so no real opinion on the hiring at the moment. I doubt he's being brought in to be the hitting coach, but you never know. Supposely, he's buddy with Theo, which doesn't make him qualify for whatever role he plays on the team, but not going to speculation on the matter further until more information is released.

Comment

I'm not sure why you're baiting me here, I saw this before your edit and it said something lame about conspiracy theories. Boston finished 12th out of 14 teams in the AL in BA. While that seems non-Boston-like, consider that the same team finished 7th in Slugging, 6th in Runs scored, and 2nd in OBP! Also consider that this team was decimated by injuries throughout the entire season and was without it's best hitter for most of the last month! Now, if Theo would have gone after someone with a proven track record to replace Ron Jackson, instead of picking one of his old cronies from San Diego (who had already been let go this season due to the poor performance of his hitters), then I never would have come back to this. EDIT: Of course, I must admit that I jumped to the conclusion that Magadan was going to be hitting coach. Ooops.
                    Last edited by maximum jack; 10-15-2006, 09:09 AM.
                    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack
                      EDIT: Of course, I must admit that I jumped to the conclusion that Magadan was going to be hitting coach. Ooops.
                      The missing link is the fact that Haselman may move to a managerial position in the minors- they hire Magadan to fill that gap and get someone else to fill the role of hitting coach. If Haselman decides to stay they still have Magadan on the team as an instructor like Dwight Evans, Yaz, and Pesky(three guys in a similar capacity).
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

The Red Sox have hired another new person onto the coaching staff by hiring John Farrell as their new pitching coach to replace Dave Wallace.

Farrell was a Major League pitcher for eight seasons and most recently served as the director of player developement with the Indians.
                        Best posts ever:

Comment

Well now, guess who's got a new contract he's working into, after his public feuds with Leisure Suit Larry, to quote Flash:

Epstein finally signs contract with Red Sox
                          BOSTON -- Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is finally working under a signed agreement, a year after his negotiations with longtime mentor Larry Lucchino escalated into a public feud.

Epstein and Lucchino, the Red Sox president, confirmed Tuesday that the Red Sox general manager has signed a document that "memorialized the agreement."

The only general manager to build a World Series winner in Boston, Epstein walked away from the club last October when his contract expired, leaving a three-year, $4.5 million extension on the table. Although neither man has confirmed exactly what happened or what changed, the disagreement apparently centered on differing philosophies about player development and public relations.

Epstein returned to work in January but well into the baseball season had not signed a new contract.

The Red Sox confirmed the development Tuesday during a meeting with baseball writers to discuss issues for next season.
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                            Well now, guess who's got a new contract he's working into, after his public feuds with Leisure Suit Larry, to quote Flash:

Epstein finally signs contract with Red Sox
                            The "feud" was long over, it ended last January. They never made it "official" until yesterday.
                            Last edited by efin98; 10-17-2006, 05:12 PM.
                            Best posts ever:

Comment

The Red Sox have hired another new person onto the coaching staff by hiring John Farrell as their new pitching coach to replace Dave Wallace.

Farrell was a Major League pitcher for eight seasons and most recently served as the director of player developement with the Indians.
                              It still doesn't make sense to me why he was fired. He was basically out for the season due to health reasons and he's the one who gets canned? Maybe you could shed some light on this for us, efin.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X