New hiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pesky6
    It still doesn't make sense to me why he was fired. He was basically out for the season due to health reasons and he's the one who gets canned? Maybe you could shed some light on this for us, efin.
    I think they wanted someone who has a track record in developing young arms...and Farrell has that.

Comment

It still doesn't make sense to me why he was fired. He was basically out for the season due to health reasons and he's the one who gets canned? Maybe you could shed some light on this for us, efin.

I think the other part of it is that The pitching staff was decent when Nipper was filling in, and once Wallace returned it completely crumbled. He seemed to make no difference, and seemingly hurt it.

Comment

Best I could gather was that there was a difference in opinion between him and Francona over the pitching staff's future. He didn't do too well with the younsters when he was back fulltime, especially the youngsters who were uninjured. If he couldn't help them out then I can see why Francona wanting to go with someone who could help them out would be done.

I am not entirely convinced he is gone though, I believe he will get another job on the team in some other capacity. He's too valuable of an assett to let go of, he could be working as a consultant like a few other former coaches/players.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
          I personally don't get it. San Diego's offense wasn't exactly tearing it up lately.
          look at the players they had.

if offensive production is all that indicates a hitting coach's ability, then ron jackson might be as valuable as bill bellichek lol.

also, who knows what his role will be. the assumption is hitting coach, obviously, but baseball men get moved all over the place.
          Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
            The Red Sox have hired another new person onto the coaching staff by hiring John Farrell as their new pitching coach to replace Dave Wallace.

Farrell was a Major League pitcher for eight seasons and most recently served as the director of player developement with the Indians.
            that guy seems to have a real impressive track record. maybe i'm young and naive and this is standard procedure, but the indian's gm (shapiro, i think, i forget his first name though) seemed to be incredibly impressed and grateful for this guy's role with the indians.

i never liked dave wallace, and i had a decent amount of time to ocmpare him to an aleternative with Al Nipper this season, so i'm excited about that particular move.
            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
              I think the other part of it is that The pitching staff was decent when Nipper was filling in, and once Wallace returned it completely crumbled. He seemed to make no difference, and seemingly hurt it.
              Possibly, but isn't there only so much you can do with an overworked and inexperienced bullpen? If the guys are out of gas, there's not much the pitching coach can do.

Personally, I think the new guys will lick their wounds this offseason and come back strong in 2007.

Comment

Possibly, but isn't there only so much you can do with an overworked and inexperienced bullpen? If the guys are out of gas, there's not much the pitching coach can do.
                Everyone on the pitching staff ran out of gas towards the end, not just the youngsters. It seems like as soon as he rejoined the team all of the rookies and youngsters hit rock bottom within a short period of time and simply could not adapt to a coach that the vets knew for a while and they only knew for a short length of time in Spring Training if at all...if they had trouble with him during last year it seems likely that the same thing would happen next year and if the bulk of your pitching staff is having trouble with your pitching coach for the benefit of the team he shouldn't be in tha role...
                Best posts ever:

Comment

There will be a new 1st base coach next season. It was expected that Bill Haselman would move to a new position in the organization as a manager, but that is not the case. He had been been asked by the team to manage the Lowell Spinners next year but declined due to family reasons.

It was an amicable split, I doubt the team faults him for wanting to move on due to that.
                  Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X