Yaz vs. M-Ram: Battle of Left field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yaz vs. M-Ram: Battle of Left field

The legendary battle of left field begins for the Red Sox. If Manny doesn't leave Boston and has a very productive 2007, could he challenge the great Yaz in Left Field for the Red Sox in all-time left fielders for the Red Sox? Both have had great careers in Beantown, but I'm going with Yaz because he had better fielding defense than Manny, and relied on many skills to win the games. Manny, on the other hand, is a one-sided player.

Who is the better left fielder? M-Ram or Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski?
    Carl Yastrzemski
    95.00%
    Manny Ramirez
    5.00%

Originally posted by Solair Wright
    The legendary battle of left field begins for the Red Sox. If Manny doesn't leave Boston and has a very productive 2007, could he challenge the great Yaz in Left Field for the Red Sox in all-time left fielders for the Red Sox? Both have had great careers in Beantown, but I'm going with Yaz because he had better fielding defense than Manny, and relied on many skills to win the games. Manny, on the other hand, is a one-sided player.

Who is the better left fielder? M-Ram or Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski?
    If Manny only plays one more year, I think I would take Yaz.

But in an overall LF battle, they both pale in comparison to Ted.

Comment

Despite his ourfield assists Ramirez just gets killed by Yaz with the glove. ManRam has a small advantage with the bat but he will never make up the defensive ground lost.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Since the question asks who is the better overall LFer, there is an implication that defense counts for quite a bit here. While Manny gets the nod for offensive production at peak, Yastrzemski, who was no slouch himself with the bat, blows Manny out of the water on defense. I consider Yastrzemski as one of the 30 or so best positional players ever (not counting 19th century players and negro leaguers).

Comment

Not even close for overall player. Yaz was the last Triple Crown winner you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater
            Not even close for overall player. Yaz was the last Triple Crown winner you know.
            Even so, I think Manny is a better hitter, but Yaz a better all around ballplayer.

Comment

We've done this before... hold on and I'll get a link.

I said Yaz, BTW.

EDIT: Got the link: http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=5851&page=2.

Page 2 is the only one you need to read. And I highly recommend it. It makes me look smart.
              Last edited by Erik Bedard; 10-18-2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

But in an overall LF battle, they both pale in comparison to Ted.
                True very true. IMO the best hitter who ever walked up to the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sweater
                  True very true. IMO the best hitter who ever walked up to the plate.
                  What about the Babe? The Bambino? The Sultan of Swat? The Colossus of Clout? The Wali of Wallop? The Wazir of Wham? The Maharajah of Mash? The Rajah of Rap? The Caliph of Clout? The King of Crash? and the Behemoth of Bust?

Hello Sweater

Comment

Originally posted by Murderer's Row
                    What about the Babe? The Bambino? The Sultan of Swat? The Colossus of Clout? The Wali of Wallop? The Wazir of Wham? The Maharajah of Mash? The Rajah of Rap? The Caliph of Clout? The King of Crash? and the Behemoth of Bust?

Hello Sweater
                    What about him?

Comment

Hello Sweater
                      I think Williams is the only player that can challenge Ruth for the title of best hitter ever. With some adjustments for era that tilt pretty heavily in Williams' favor, I think it's very close. I also think had Williams not missed nearly 5 seasons to military service, that the answer might be more clear.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                        I think Williams is the only player that can challenge Ruth for the title of best hitter ever. With some adjustments for era that tilt pretty heavily in Williams' favor, I think it's very close. I also think had Williams not missed nearly 5 seasons to military service, that the answer might be more clear.
                        I agree that Teddy is the only one who could challenge the Babe, the Bambino, The Sultan of Swat, The Colossus of Clout, The Wali of Wallop, The Wazir of Wham, The Maharajah of Mash, The Rajah of Rap, The Caliph of Clout, The King of Crash, and the Behemoth of Bust, but it seems to me whenever this discussion is brought up the fact he missed years is used as a defence wherever the Babe, the Bambino, The Sultan of Swat, The Colossus of Clout, The Wali of Wallop, The Wazir of Wham, The Maharajah of Mash, The Rajah of Rap, The Caliph of Clout, The King of Crash, and the Behemoth of Bust is favored by statistics. (I don't know any advanced statistics so I don't have any proof anyway)

Comment

I'm talking longevity in Boston. If it's just Yaz & Manny, it's Yaz hands-down. Put #9 and #14 in the equation and Manny would be waaay behind...
                          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

I agree that Teddy is the only one who could challenge the Babe, the Bambino, The Sultan of Swat, The Colossus of Clout, The Wali of Wallop, The Wazir of Wham, The Maharajah of Mash, The Rajah of Rap, The Caliph of Clout, The King of Crash, and the Behemoth of Bust, but it seems to me whenever this discussion is brought up the fact he missed years is used as a defence wherever the Babe, the Bambino, The Sultan of Swat, The Colossus of Clout, The Wali of Wallop, The Wazir of Wham, The Maharajah of Mash, The Rajah of Rap, The Caliph of Clout, The King of Crash, and the Behemoth of Bust is favored by statistics. (I don't know any advanced statistics so I don't have any proof anyway)
                            Well Babe certainly has the Splendid Splinter on names.

As for Ted's time missed, it would be one thing if he was injured during those years or even retired, but he physically and mentally could have played in those years, it was an extra factor that removed him from the game. Just picture what Ruth's overall statistics would look like if you removed 5 years of his prime.

A big difference between Ruth and Williams for me is that Ruth dominated when no one was really trying to play the game that when (and then only started to try). Whereas Ted dominated when most everyone was trying to play that way. Would Ruth have stood out as much as he did if he played during a time when everyone was trying to play in that style? I don't know if I'm making sense, but I hope so.
                            Last edited by DoubleX; 10-19-2006, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I think I started a thread about this on CE, also who's the better LF? Who's the better hitter? Or who's the better overall player?
                              "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X