X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox Hire Magadan as Hitting Coach

http://sports.myway.com/news/10202006/v5529.html
    Oct 20, 3:41 PM (ET)

BOSTON (AP) -The Boston Red Sox hired Dave Magadan to replace Ron Jackson as hitting coach, after the team had the third-worst batting average in the American League this season.
    Magadan, who retired as a player after the 2001 season, spent most of the past four seasons as hitting coach for the San Diego Padres. The Padres fired Magadan in mid-June when San Diego's team batting average dropped to a National League-worst .252.

Jackson's contract was not renewed after Boston finished in third place in the AL East, missing the playoffs for the first time in four seasons. The Red Sox hit .269 as a team. Only Oakland and Tampa Bay had lower averages. Minnesota had the highest average in the AL at .287.

Magadan retired as a player at the end of the 2001 season after spending parts of 16 seasons with the New York Mets, Florida Marlins, Seattle Mariners, Houston Astros, Chicago Cubs, Oakland Athletics and Padres.

The Red Sox announced the hiring on Friday.
    BELIEVE

This was barely announced today?? I thought it happened days ago! Im lost now...

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
      This was barely announced today?? I thought it happened days ago! Im lost now...
      That was the pitching coach... I think..... Maybe.....?

Comment

Maybe i'm just remembering a rumor about this.

Comment

He was pitching coach no???
          Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
            Maybe i'm just remembering a rumor about this.
            He was hired last week to work for the team but didn't specify where at the time, just that he was hired.

Before folks go balistic, it wasn't Theo hiring one of his buddies for a job. It was hiring the best man for the job in the opinion of the manager, GM, and the roving minor league hitting coach.

They felt he was the best guy for the job so they chose that role for him, not the instructor or consultant role that he originally was supposed to do.
            Last edited by efin98; 10-20-2006, 05:04 PM.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
              He was pitching coach no???
              No. He was the hitting coach with San Diego.
              Last edited by efin98; 10-20-2006, 05:00 PM.
              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                No. He was the hitting coach with San Diego.
                He was fired half way through the season I believe
                ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
                ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                  He was hired last week to work for the team but didn't specify where at the time, just that he was hired.

Before folks go balistic, it wasn't Theo hiring one of his buddies for a job. It was hiring the best man for the job in the opinion of the manager, GM, and the roving minor league hitting coach.

They felt he was the best guy for the job so they chose that role for him, not the instructor or consultant role that he originally was supposed to do.
                  Huh?!?!?!? I don't know why anyone would think this, or why you would suggest anyone would think this.

IMO, the coaches in MLB have the least amount of impact on their players compared to the coaches other major sports. So what I'm saying is congrats, Dave Magadan, 'cause IMO it really doesn't matter who they have in there as a hitting coach.

Comment

Especially considering the fact that most hitting and pitching coaches were career minor leaguers or guys who sniffed the majors a couple times, and rarely allstar players, makes that seem to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                      Especially considering the fact that most hitting and pitching coaches were career minor leaguers or guys who sniffed the majors a couple times, and rarely allstar players, makes that seem to be true.
                      Actually, worse players tend to make better coaches, in my opinion. Ted Williams had a hard time coaching players who had substantially less talent than he did, because in addition to hard work, he was just gifted. There are exceptions on both sides, of course, but it makes sense - a great player does what he does often with a great deal of "natural ability", which can't be taught. A less talented player has to focus more on fundementals and form.
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

this doesnt make sense to me. jackson helped develop david ortiz into the big papi we love and now we go higher a guy who had a slugging % under .400 in his career and was the PADRES hitting coach? message to the theo: the padres are an awful hitting team.

Comment

Why does Jackson get all the credit for everyone? I'm not saying he wasn't part of it, but heck give Ortiz some credit here. He had never really gotten consistent AB's with the Twins.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                            Huh?!?!?!? I don't know why anyone would think this, or why you would suggest anyone would think this.
                            It was suggested as the motivation for hiring him in the thread I started back when they first announced they hired him to work for the team.

IMO, the coaches in MLB have the least amount of impact on their players compared to the coaches other major sports. So what I'm saying is congrats, Dave Magadan, 'cause IMO it really doesn't matter who they have in there as a hitting coach.
                            I take them to be more like instructors who specialize in one specific area but can work well in other areas like hitting for power, for average, for OBP, etc...he is just that- he can help the team improve in the area they were lacking last year, hitting for average. They do pretty well otherwise, but need help in that area.
                            Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                              Why does Jackson get all the credit for everyone? I'm not saying he wasn't part of it, but heck give Ortiz some credit here. He had never really gotten consistent AB's with the Twins.
                              He helpped Ortiz, but he is one member of the team. What about all the other guys on the team who he couldn't help out, and probably hurt??? They struggles hurt the team.
                              Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X