Retire Speaker and Young?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retire Speaker and Young?

Who thinks we should retire Speaker and Young? Tris had seven great seasons for the Red Stockings, and Cy is tied with Clemens for most Red Sox wins. They'd just put Speaker and Young's names with the Red Stockings' symbol above the names. Detroit did it with Ty Cobb and St. Louis did it with Rogers Hornsby.
    Last edited by The Kid; 10-22-2006, 12:33 PM.
    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Does that not have something to do with them not playing thier entire careers in Boston?
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Young I could see doing that since he was one of the main reasons for the Red Sox establishing themselves in Boston, but his career was made mostly elsewhere. Cleveland would be a better choice for number retirement for him since he played the bulk of his career there(11 seasons total).

Speaker I don't believe has earned it. He didn't play long enough to meet the requirement for number retirement. I could see the Red Sox honoring him in a different way- like renaming part of the outfield after him.

The best place for their names to hang would be the Red Sox Hall of Fame alongside other greats and near greats over the decades.
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

You don't have to play your whole career in Boston, just the end of it I believe. There are other restrictions.

Comment

If not for the restrictions, I'd say put Young's name up for sure as I don't think the Cleveland Spiders will be honoring him anytime soon. As for Speaker, Cleveland would be a more appropriate place, but he did have a very productive tenure in Boston, so I wouldn't be against him going up either.

Comment

I agree entirly.
            "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Neither had numbers, so what exactly would the Sox be retiring? Putting their names on the facade with their career years below and the Sox logo above would be a nice gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                Neither had numbers, so what exactly would the Sox be retiring? Putting their names on the facade with their career years below and the Sox logo above would be a nice gesture.
                Other teams have done it. Giants for instance with McGraw and Mathewson.

Besides hanging #14 up there when Jim Ed finally gets into the HOF, I'd like to see them hang up #3 for Foxx, #6 for Pesky & Petrocelli, #7 for Dom DiMaggio and #25 for Tony C.
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather have fewer numbers than more, if only because I don't want Fenway overcrowded with numbers like a certain other AL ballpark. . . I'd rather be less like the Yankees than more.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                    I'd just put the names, not the playing years. And it would be better to put the old sox symbol, the one with the sock with boston on it, above the names. Or have two #0s on the facade.
                    Last edited by The Kid; 10-25-2006, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Speaker and Young will never be honored if the sox don't do it!

Comment

Originally posted by kramerica1515
                        You don't have to play your whole career in Boston, just the end of it I believe. There are other restrictions.
                        The retrictions are: Play 10+ years and be in HOF, and end career with Boston. With Fisk they hired him for a day as an assistant to the GM or something so they could keep the tradition alive.

The only other number I see the Red Sox retiring is Jim Rice as soon as he gets in the HOF.
                        "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523
                          The retrictions are: Play 10+ years and be in HOF, and end career with Boston. With Fisk they hired him for a day as an assistant to the GM or something so they could keep the tradition alive.

The only other number I see the Red Sox retiring is Jim Rice as soon as he gets in the HOF.
                          I believe Fisk was short of 10 years in a BoSox uniform.

#14 has been unofficially retired. The instant Jim Ed gets into Cooperstown, the Sox will plan a ceremony to hang up #14 over the RF stands.

Comment

Fisk played from 69 to 80 with Boston so he made the 10 year cut.

Rice was 2nd behind Sutter on the ballot this year. So he has a shot being voted in next time. It will be interesting to see them add a new number.

The next potential retiree is Clemens. That's a bit more complicated.
                            "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Originally posted by NYMets523
                              Fisk played from 69 to 80 with Boston so he made the 10 year cut.

Rice was 2nd behind Sutter on the ballot this year. So he has a shot being voted in next time. It will be interesting to see them add a new number.

The next potential retiree is Clemens. That's a bit more complicated.
                              Won't be Clemens. Like Boggs, the instant he put on THAT uniform, he lost any chance. Plus, Clemens hasn't returned to the Sox

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X