Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timlin Re-Signs for '07

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=164032

Red Sox have re-signed Mike for another year. Not sure how I feel about this, but I think it would be better than putting Mike Ginter or Craig Breslow in the pen. Thoughts?

p.s. I dont know if you want stuff like this in the off-season thread or not, SoxSon. But if you did, please feel free to move it.

I dont know about Mike Timlin, he was very shaky towards the end of the year, wasnt he? I think it may be about time for him to hang emup. I just think he doesnt have great stuff and wont be much help to the BoSox bullpen. That is just my opinion.

Comment

Why didn't he retire.

Why in the world did the Sox re-sign him?

This is a bad move considering how awful Timlin was last season and I don't expect him to get much better either.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
        http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=164032

Red Sox have re-signed Mike for another year. Not sure how I feel about this, but I think it would be better than putting Mike Ginter or Craig Breslow in the pen. Thoughts?

p.s. I dont know if you want stuff like this in the off-season thread or not, SoxSon. But if you did, please feel free to move it.
        I feel fine about keeping Mike on for another year. I really don't think he's going to be the one hurting our bullpen, anyway.

When it's a single event (i.e., Red Sox resign Mike Timlin), I think it's fine to have a separate thread, Evan. It's when the thread is something like "Lineup for 2007" or "How do you envision the team for next season?" that it probably needs to be merged with the offseason thread for clarity's sake.
        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with re-signing him. Timlin had a great start to the year, but struggled the second half, probably a combination of having pitched in the WBC and the fact that he's 40 years old. Sure, he probably won't pitch 80+ innings in 2007, but it's always nice to have a veteran arm in the pen. And remember too that he was still one of the better relievers this past year, and who knows, if Theo decides to slack off this off-season too, he might end up setting up for....Hansen? Foulke?? Little Paplebon??? (just kidding with that last one...sort of) Seriously though, with Papelbon in the rotation, the Sox don't have much of a bullpen, so who knows what Timlin might be able to do with 6 months of rest.
          "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Timlin's season was up and down and slightly back up again, as he did okay to start, then was just terrible after his return from the DL, but in the last 2-3 weeks of the season showed some improvement (though he was clearly still not up to par). I seem to remember that he's set a goal for his retirement... one more season, or a certain number of games he's appeared in, or something.

I don't have a problem with his re-signing, but this may change if he stinks up the joint. Like SoxSon said, Timlin was not the only problem with the 'pen this season, and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until the time comes that proves he just can't do the job anymore.
            --Annie
            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
            Remember Yellowdog
            ABNY

Comment

I like this move. I've always had a soft spot for Timlin, and I'm confident that he can rebound from last season. He'll be able to concentrate on his workout routine and not have to worry about the WBS. He signed for less than last season, and he's only got 39 more appearances to reach 1,000. Plus, given his age, he should be a positive presence in the bullpen and Sox clubhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                I like this move. I've always had a soft spot for Timlin, and I'm confident that he can rebound from last season. He'll be able to concentrate on his workout routine and not have to worry about the WBS. He signed for less than last season, and he's only got 39 more appearances to reach 1,000. Plus, given his age, he should be a positive presence in the bullpen and Sox clubhouse.
                I agree with you completely, pesky. I don't see much downside to this signing. Timlin is a stabilizing influence for the entire team.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                  I don't see much downside to this signing.
                  Thats what I said about Seanez h Hopefully Mikey can put together a good season, and he doesn't throw 2 innings in the off-season (WBC) and throw out his arm.
                  Last edited by EvanAparra; 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Thats what I said about Seanez h Hopefully Mikey can put together a good season, hopefully he doesn't throw 2 innings in the off-season (WBC) and throw out his arm.
                    Well, there's always hindsight.
                    I feel like Timlin's earned some credit, however.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                      Well, there's always hindsight.
                      I feel like Timlin's earned some credit, however.
                      Yeah, but if its a small contract, and he struggles, I wont see anything wrong with releasing him. Just giving him a contract this year shows how much the Sox still respect him.

Comment

Yeah, but if its a small contract, and he struggles, I wont see anything wrong with releasing him. Just giving him a contract this year shows how much the Sox still respect him.
                        I agree. It's hard not to like a player who negotiates his own contract instead of using a blood-sucking agent.

Comment

Yup.. I wonder how many people still do that..

I know Schilling and Moyer do.

Comment

Timlin had a 1.40 ERA before he was injured.. That may have had an effect on his performance during the second half. Maybe the six month vacation will turn him into that lights out reliever that he was in the first half.

Comment

Timlin's gotta be used a little bit differently, but he's a good pickup for the short money he got.

Anybody else think that it was infuriating slap in the face to Timlin in particular for Grady to not let him do his job in Game 7 of the '03 ALCS after being lights out up until then in the playoffs? I respected that Timlin didn't respond to highly leading questions from the media after it happened.
                              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X