Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It figures...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It figures...

    ...that the World Series MVP is a former Sox prospect.

    Thanks, Dan Duquette...
    sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

  • #2
    The Angels picked Eckstein off waivers from the Sox back in 2000. Put into context of the time, I'd say it was a no brainer to keep Nomar Garciaparra rather than 5'6 Eckstein.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DoubleX
      The Angels picked Eckstein off waivers from the Sox back in 2000. Put into context of the time, I'd say it was a no brainer to keep Nomar Garciaparra rather than 5'6 Eckstein.
      I thought he was 5'7!

      Comment


      • #4
        Eckstein was put on waivers because, when Lou Merloni returned from Japan and a roster move was in order, DD wanted to keep Izzy Alcantara.

        Izzy Alcantara.

        *shakes head*
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Murderer's Row
          I thought he was 5'7!
          Whatever his height (and it's likely smaller than what is listed), I can't blame a GM for betting against such a dimunitive player becoming a bona fide big leaguer in today's game.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DoubleX
            Whatever his height (and it's likely smaller than what is listed), I can't blame a GM for betting against such a dimunitive player becoming a bona fide big leaguer in today's game.
            Why aren't there many small players? In the old days there were lots and lots of them but now it seems as though David Eckstein is the only really small player.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Murderer's Row
              Why aren't there many small players? In the old days there were lots and lots of them but now it seems as though David Eckstein is the only really small player.
              The Importance of power hitting in today's offensive game?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Murderer's Row
                Why aren't there many small players? In the old days there were lots and lots of them but now it seems as though David Eckstein is the only really small player.
                I think people are bigger now in general. In general, there is much better nutrition now, but for athletes in particular, there is much more emphasis on weight training and conditioning. Increased diversity in the game is probably also a factor, in that in the past, when the league ran out of big and athletic white players, teams went with smaller and less athletic white players rather than intergrating. Now, the league will populate itself with the biggest and most athletic players of all races. The game has also transformed to place a lot more value on power than on speed and fundamentals, and has resultantly tipped much in favor of bigger players; whereas in the past, such players may have never really been given a shot due to their lack of fundamentals. A good example is that in the past, it was widely-held perception that smaller players made better middle infielders and that bigger players couldn't handle those positions and were relegated to 1B, corner OF, and even C. Then along came Cal Ripken, standing at 6'4, and playing Gold Glove SS while hitting more like a corner OFer, and teams saw that big guys could even play the traditional small-guy positions, and usually offered the advantage of more offensive production (though probably sacrificing at least a little on defense).

                I don't have any evidence to support any of this, but this is what I suspect has changed.
                Last edited by DoubleX; 10-28-2006, 11:06 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  No one in their right mind would have chosen Eckstein over Garciapparra, especially in his prime.
                  Cristobal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
                    No one in their right mind would have chosen Eckstein over Garciapparra, especially in his prime.
                    I doubt back then that it was even near the point of coming down to choosing one over the other. The team probably figured that with a great young player like Garciaparra imbedded at SS, and likely a few other prospects in the minors who at the time seemed more promising than Eckstein, Eckstein and his small frame were probably deemed superfluous. I really can't blame a GM, in this day in age, to bet against someone that small.

                    It's really a great credit to Eckstein that he's been as successful as he has been. I remember a few years ago when a ML All Star team went to Japan after the World Series (I believe '02), and Barry Bonds said something about how impressed he was with David Eckstein and how hard he works to make the most out of little.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SDL
                      ...that the World Series MVP is a former Sox prospect.

                      Thanks, Dan Duquette...
                      Through the years there have been some pretty average Joes who have been MVP of the WS, so I wouldn't shed too many tears that the Red Sox kept Nomar instead of Eckstein! The WS MVP Award began in 1955, and here are some of the non-stars to have won it:

                      1956 - Don Larsen
                      1959 - Larry Sherry
                      1962 - Ralph Terry
                      1969 - Donn Clendenon
                      1978 - Bucky Dent
                      1982 - Darrell Porter
                      1986 - Ray Knight
                      1990 - Jose Rijo
                      1992 - Pat Borders
                      1998 - Scott Brosius
                      Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
                        No one in their right mind would have chosen Eckstein over Garciapparra, especially in his prime.
                        no one in their right mind would take eckstien over nomar today lol.

                        actually i should re-familiarize myself with stats before i say that too confidently, but i'm pretty sure thats the case.

                        i love eckstein...he's such a hard worker and is so scrappy, obviously not too gifted physically but he makes it work. that said, a career 359 slg% is tough for me to miss too terribly.
                        Gelatin Fernandalism

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          He's not a slugger. lol. I would definetely take Eckstein over Nomar though. Nomar's a great player, but I don't want a guy who is hurt year after year. Eckstein was injured this year, but it's not like Nomar. Every year Nomar misses time due to an injury, and it's usually significant time.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jager
                            He's not a slugger. lol. I would definetely take Eckstein over Nomar though. Nomar's a great player, but I don't want a guy who is hurt year after year. Eckstein was injured this year, but it's not like Nomar. Every year Nomar misses time due to an injury, and it's usually significant time.
                            In 2006 you say that. You wouldn't say that in your right mind back in 2000, not with Nomar at the top of his game and well before his constant injuries.

                            What's next? Complaining about losing Jeff Suppan in the 1998 expansion draft? Still smoldering at losing Curt Schilling and Jeff Bagwell in the 80s?
                            Best posts ever:
                            Originally posted by nymdan
                            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PhilWings24
                              no one in their right mind would take eckstien over nomar today lol.

                              actually i should re-familiarize myself with stats before i say that too confidently, but i'm pretty sure thats the case.

                              i love eckstein...he's such a hard worker and is so scrappy, obviously not too gifted physically but he makes it work. that said, a career 359 slg% is tough for me to miss too terribly.
                              I agree about Eckstein. He's very much in the Lenny "Nails" Dykstra, Alvin Dark, Eddie Stanky mold. Guys that can best be described as 'scrappers.'
                              Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X