Red Sox Reportedly Sign Cora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox Reportedly Sign Cora

Free agent Alex Cora has reportedly agreed to a two-year deal to remain with the Red Sox.

From BDD.com.

Any thoughts?

Defensive insurance and spot starter only but he is needed by the team.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Average signing, even though he is a great a defensive player, I would have liked to see a younger infield for the 2007 Campaign .

Comment

I am just happy soemthing happened, the offseason was getting kind of dull...

I think they resigned Cora in case (hopefully not) Pedroia chokes somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kyle-
          I am just happy soemthing happened, the offseason was getting kind of dull...

I think they resigned Cora in case (hopefully not) Pedroia chokes somewhere.
          That's a likely scenerio. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with him. Maybe I'll have to eat some crow over this one, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
            That's a likely scenerio. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with him. Maybe I'll have to eat some crow over this one, but I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.
            Francona is a huge Cora fan, and I can see some of his point. Alex is a player that can do everything with competence (note that I said with competence, and not necessarily well ). As a result, Cora's someone who can back up several different positions, if the need arises. I believe he might be called an all-around "serviceable" player.
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

cora may be a smart player but lets not forget that he kind of sucks at... well the basics. he obviously is a very poor hitter and he even had 7 errors in limited playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by johnbuckformvp
                cora may be a smart player but lets not forget that he kind of sucks at... well the basics. he obviously is a very poor hitter and he even had 7 errors in limited playing time.
                Please avoid such a constant use of the word "sucks," all right? It would be fair to say you've overused it, and it doesn't do much for discussion. I also think it's incorrect...pretty much any player who has made it to the major league level automatically can't suck.

Cora is a mediocre hitter at best, but his versatility in the field outweighs this, IMO. He certainly doesn't "suck" in the field...as you say yourself, his limited playing time isn't a respectable sample size. Keep in mind, also, that he is a backup player. If Cora were exceptional at any of these things, he'd be starting for some other team.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                  Please avoid such a constant use of the word "sucks," all right? It would be fair to say you've overused it, and it doesn't do much for discussion. I also think it's incorrect...pretty much any player who has made it to the major league level automatically can't suck.

Cora is a mediocre hitter at best, but his versatility in the field outweighs this, IMO. He certainly doesn't "suck" in the field...as you say yourself, his limited playing time isn't a respectable sample size. Keep in mind, also, that he is a backup player. If Cora were exceptional at any of these things, he'd be starting for some other team.
                  I agree completly
                  "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

One of my favorite players: Thanks for one more reason why.
                    The ball once struck off,
                    Away flies the boy
                    To the next destin'd post,
                    And then home with joy.
                    --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

Yes, all pro athletes have to have some level of skill to get to where they are (well...maybe not Ryan Leaf). And about 2/3 of Cora's errors came from that crays flip-from-your-glove play that he now seems to have stopped doing.

Comment

Francona is a huge Cora fan, and I can see some of his point. Alex is a player that can do everything with competence (note that I said with competence, and not necessarily well ). As a result, Cora's someone who can back up several different positions, if the need arises. I believe he might be called an all-around "serviceable" player.
                        In other words he's the classic definition of an utility infielder. Being the kind of player that Francona likes is a bonus(most seem to fit that role, except a certain LF).
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98
                          In other words he's the classic definition of an utility infielder. Being the kind of player that Francona likes is a bonus(most seem to fit that role, except a certain LF).

I actually think that Francona sees him as something more than a utility player, but I agree with you...that's just what Cora is.

Comment

why does whatever francona say/thinks have to be true? who says that francona is a brilliant manager? in the case of cora, the numbers tell the story.

Comment

why does whatever francona say/thinks have to be true? who says that francona is a brilliant manager? in the case of cora, the numbers tell the story.
                              No one said that.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X