How will the Sox do in '06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will the Sox do in '06?

I know this is a silly question to pose at this stage of events; we don't know yet who will play several positions, or whether Manny will be traded. Francona managed a good team reasonably well, and a slightly less-good team okay... but we don't know how will he manage a team that is essentiall 3/4 changed from the last season, and without some of its best players.

I was just wondering how the Nation feels about the team's prospects for success in the coming season, at this admittedly early point. Will they forge ahead despite the alterations and win close to 100 games? Will they win the division? Will they struggle along, and finish a respectable 2nd? Wild Card? Will it be a lost season, barely clearing .500? Let's have some far-flung predictions here...just for something to talk about!
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Ok - briefly here 'cause I'm at work, buddy. The Sox will win 92 and finish 2nd again. They'll also pick up the Wild Card spot. More than that, I can't say!!
    Foulke to the set, the 1-0 pitch, here it is, swing and a ground ball stabbed by Foulke, he has it, he underhands to 1st and the Boston Red Sox are the World Champions! Can you believe it?!

Comment

Either 2nd or 3rd and no playoffs. I don't expect them to be consistent. Their defense will be average at best. Great pitching is their only hope for making the playoffs. I don't see any 20-game winners on the staff.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

The AL East Projected Final Standing 2006 Regular Season

1) NY Yankees 103 - 59
        2) Toronto 88 - 74
        3) Boston 80 - 82
        4) Tampa Bay 78 - 84
        5) Baltimore 70 - 92

Comment

The last couple of weeks a lot of you talked about doom scenarios.

I still think they will finish second in the AL East. I am not sure if they will capture the Wild Card.

Comment

The Sox as presently constructed, have a lot of potential problems, and unless some of those areas are addressed, I think the Sox will have a tough time competing for the Wild Card, let alone the AL East. Right now, I think I'd have to rank the Sox as no higher than the 8th or 9th best team in the AL, behind (in no particular order) the Yankees, Blue Jays, White Sox, Indians, Twins, Angels, Athletics, and Rangers. Each of those teams either did things this offseason to improve and/or have young talent on the cusp of stardom, and I think the Sox still have some catching up to do this offseason.
            Last edited by DoubleX; 01-05-2006, 10:55 AM.

Comment

With so many things still unresolved at this late date(What were they/are they thinking?):grouchy , I find it rather difficult to predict how the Sox will fare in '06. But I'll give it a shot anyway.

The starting rotation should be pretty good, assuming Schilling returns to form, and Beckett and Papelbon are as good as we think they are.

Offensively; Manny? no Manny? Tejada? or not? .......... Still, they should be at least average to above average in scoring, so I think it will really come down to how the Pitching staff fares. (Doesn't it always?)

If they can avoid major injuries, they should be in the 88-92 win range. That could increase or decrease a little, depending on what the actual team looks like come opening day.
              Ken :gt

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub Red Sox Fan 4Life
                Offensively; Manny? no Manny? Tejada? or not? .......... Still, they should be at least average to above average in scoring, so I think it will really come down to how the Pitching staff fares. (Doesn't it always?)
                If Manny stays in Boston, with Manny and Ortiz in the lineup, the team will still score a lot of runs. Varitek is still among the best hitting catchers in the game, Youkilis should be at least as productive as Millar, and if Lowell can return somewhere close to his pre-2005 form and if Nixon can stay healthy and hit lefties a little, the Sox should score a ton of runs still. Granted, it won't be as much as the past three years, but it should be enough to keep the team at least competitive.

I agree with you about management not having a plan. For weeks I've been assuming that the Sox will pull off some blockbuster and really shore some of their more glaring holes (CF, SS, Bullpen), but I'm starting to wonder if they are going to make a deal and if management has a plan, especially given that they traded Edgar Renteria away and left themselves without a decent SS. After the way the Sox pursued Renteria last year and given his track record, the team has to stick with him for at least another season and see if he can turn it around. I don't get it.

Comment

Consider me the Grinch, but how can anyone decide how the team will do when they don't know whether or not Manny will return in 2006, and don't know how well their 2006 CFer and SS will both hit and play defense?

If by some crazy example, they had Manny *AND* Tejada, then had a great defensive SS who had some pop in the bat, they could be looking at 100+ wins and 1st place.

The polar opposite would be that Manny would be traded, and if so, you did get Tejada, but say you didn't, then this would greatly affect Ortiz' offensive capabilities. If the SS wasn't as good defensively as hoped, and the replacement CF for you-know-who wasn't as good defensively, then you're looking at a few less wins, I'd say.

Consider me very picky today, but I figure there are too many undecided "ifs" that need to be resolved before we can figure everything out. It's like counting eggs, but none have hatched yet.
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                  Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                  THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                  Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Well, yeah... that's why I prefaced the question with saying it's a silly question to pose at this stage, but... it's more like asking what do we fear the most? What do we hope more the most? What can we perhaps extrapolate from what's happened so far? It's a huge What If... and of course in six weeks, we'll know more and be able to narrow down our predictions. Right now I think it's interesting to hear what poeple come up with when they see this equation:

Given+given+given+speculation+gut feeling=????
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

Well, presuming the Red Sox get a quality CFer whose defense is reliable and at least stops quite a few runs, and who can hit .250-.265, can turn on the speed on the basepaths, I'm guessing you may win some games.

If the Red Sox were to get Tejada as the SS, I seriously doubt they'd do this and keep Manny at the same time. If they can make two trades--one for a CFer, and another for a SS--both of whom have stats similar to what I've posted in the last paragraph, and can do so w/o selling the farm (I've heard that Marte, Papelbon and a few others were untouchable), then I can see them winning a few games.

I'm not sure I'd go with someone similar to whom I consider "designated fielder" Pokey Reese (all glove, no bat), who just signed a contract after missing the entire 2005 season, but a good combo, especially in the defensive and durability areas.

My hunches aren't too good right now, but as mentioned in another thread here, I'm wondering if potential trading partners will ask for the sun, moon and stars, knowing that the Red Sox need two important players, both of whose positions are somewhat hard to fill.

If they were able to trade for either the Nats' Brad Wilkerson or Seattle's Jeremy Reed in CF, or some SS of quality, then I could see them winning 90+ games. How much is demanded, as well as Boston's FO's willingness to give up just that will obviously decide how good a player they're getting.

For two deals, I'm not sure both of them will yield a very productive player. Then Mike Lowell will have to show that he can play well again.

I'll start at 90 games, but it could go up or down by 5 games. Unless you've got Manny, Tejada and a quality CFer, I don't see 100 games. Of course, if the team decides "to heck w/the projections of some Yankee fan up to no good", then that's another story.
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

call me crazy, but I think the Red Sox are still in contention. Letting Damon go was bad, but ultimately it should pay off in the long run (no pun intended). I wouldn't be surprised if the sox get the wild card again.

Actually, I'm going to be the ONLY one to make this proclamation here and now: this is the year that the Red Sox win the AL East.
                        Hopefully I'll be right, you heard it here first if they do.
                        Back to being underdogs

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                          If Manny stays in Boston, with Manny and Ortiz in the lineup, the team will still score a lot of runs. Varitek is still among the best hitting catchers in the game, Youkilis should be at least as productive as Millar, and if Lowell can return somewhere close to his pre-2005 form and if Nixon can stay healthy and hit lefties a little, the Sox should score a ton of runs still. Granted, it won't be as much as the past three years, but it should be enough to keep the team at least competitive.

I agree with you about management not having a plan. For weeks I've been assuming that the Sox will pull off some blockbuster and really shore some of their more glaring holes (CF, SS, Bullpen), but I'm starting to wonder if they are going to make a deal and if management has a plan, especially given that they traded Edgar Renteria away and left themselves without a decent SS. After the way the Sox pursued Renteria last year and given his track record, the team has to stick with him for at least another season and see if he can turn it around. I don't get it.
                          Regardless of the Damon overpayment, I wouldn't be walking too proudly if I were you. The Big Unic is going to be another year older, who knows if Wright and Pavano can stay healthy, and don't count lightning to strike twice with Small. The guy pitched waaaaay over his head last year--pure, plain, and simple. You've got the bats, but there are only so many 12-10 games you can win. Granted, our pitching staff is suspect, but I don't think ours is any worse than yours, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                            Regardless of the Damon overpayment, I wouldn't be walking too proudly if I were you. The Big Unic is going to be another year older, who knows if Wright and Pavano can stay healthy, and don't count lightning to strike twice with Small. The guy pitched waaaaay over his head last year--pure, plain, and simple. You've got the bats, but there are only so many 12-10 games you can win. Granted, our pitching staff is suspect, but I don't think ours is any worse than yours, that's for sure.
                            Dems sound like fighting words, and it's curious that you would post that in response to a post where I said that the Sox offense should be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                              Regardless of the Damon overpayment, I wouldn't be walking too proudly if I were you. The Big Unic is going to be another year older, who knows if Wright and Pavano can stay healthy, and don't count lightning to strike twice with Small. The guy pitched waaaaay over his head last year--pure, plain, and simple.
                              There are a lot of ifs in your statement Pesky6. But what about you own pitching? Sure Becket is a great addition, but there has been a lot of talk about his injuries as well. AND you have to wait if Curt Schilling will regain his form again.

Also a lot of ifs, I know. But you know as well that we don't have a crystal ball.

Just wait and see.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X