Manny All The Sudden Tradable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny All The Sudden Tradable

I was reading Buster Onley's blog and he brought up a good point, Frank Thomas inked a deal that can be worth north of 30 mill...all the sudden Manny isn't all that expensive. So he has some serious market value right about now. All this being said I still don't think he'll get traded though. However compared to a what a lesser slugger ( in this case Frank Thomas) makes, Manny is a value right now.
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Yep, ol' Buster's back to himself. He couldn't keep up a decent public image THAT long, ya know. He HAS been proposing that trade with no differences whatsoever (Heilman and Milledge to the Red Sox for Manny Ramirez) for three consecutive years now...and before that, it was Heilman and David Wright. So four years, I guess.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I honestly stop giving up trying to figure out if management want Manny out. If Manny want to leave. All other situations involving Manny during the winter. Onley been reporting we're dealing Manny every year and just hasn't happen.

Once again, Boston won't make the value up if they deal Manny, so don't see it happening unless a team willing to vastly over-pay for his service.

Comment

Now do you guys see why I despise Buster Olney so much? The only player he's reported more than Manny Ramirez coming to the Mets via trade for Heilman, Milledge, and sometimes Mike Pelfrey and calling the deal "imminent" would definitely be Barry Zito.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I hope he stays... sweetest right-handed HR swing ive ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
            I hope he stays... sweetest right-handed HR swing ive ever seen.
            His hitting legacy will only grow, I suspect, after he's gone.
            "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Buster Olney, huh?? His greatest wish is to grow up and be Peter Gammons.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                Buster Olney, huh?? His greatest wish is to grow up and be Peter Gammons.
                You may be on to something there, KC.

I'm going to go on record again as saying that Manny should stay in Boston this coming season. The money situation may be making it appear more and more possible to move Ramirez, but that's a separate discussion than whether we should, IMO. I'm not sure everyone in Boston is fully understanding Ramirez's impact on this lineup. It's not just big...it's astronomical.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                  I'm going to go on record again as saying that Manny should stay in Boston this coming season. The money situation may be making it appear more and more possible to move Ramirez, but that's a separate discussion than whether we should, IMO. I'm not sure everyone in Boston is fully understanding Ramirez's impact on this lineup. It's not just big...it's astronomical.
                  I agree, Ramirez is arguably the greatest right-handed bat of his generation - you don't give that up lightly. The Ortiz/Ramirez combination is scary, without that projection (and the Red Sox will almost certainly not be able to replace that protection) teams will pitch around Ortiz.

Comment

Teams DID pitch around Ortiz a lot in the last month or so of the season when Manny was out with the bad knee. Even in the first inning, they'd pitch "carefully" to Papi -- that is, everything about a foot off the outside corner. If Manny were to be traded, you'll see Ortiz suddenly drop in hits, RBI and slugging, and shoot way up in OBP. And lead the league with IBBs. This would have a pretty big impact on the team as a whole.

If we lose Manny, we lose half of Ortiz too.
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                      If we lose Manny, we lose half of Ortiz too.
                      Half is probably an overstatement, but he would not be as effective as he is and the team's run production as a whole will likely suffer fairly significantly.

Comment

What I see is, trade Manny to Hoston for Lidge, Wheeler and a bat. And the try to sign Alfonso Soriano.
                        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan
                          What I see is, trade Manny to Hoston for Lidge, Wheeler and a bat. And the try to sign Alfonso Soriano.
                          That's a terrible trade. Besides Houston doesn't have a "bat". That was their problem last year. I'd MUCH rather trade Manny for Ervin Santana SP and Brandon Wood SS. We need a very good young SS. Wood would solidify that position for years to come, and Santana would be another fantastic addition to our pitching staff. Imagine next season with:

Matsuzaka
                          Beckett
                          Papelbon
                          Santana
                          Lester.

That would be filthy with none of them over the age of 27. Plus if we did get Santana this season it would make our bullpen that much better. We could let Lester come back nice and slow, and in 08 Wake could move to the pen if he's still pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                            Half is probably an overstatement, but he would not be as effective as he is and the team's run production as a whole will likely suffer fairly significantly.
                            I don't know if it is THAT much of an overstatement. Perhaps we wouldn't lose half of Ortiz's production -- maybe just 7/16ths. But the team would indeed suffer. To what degree is pure speculation, but I think it'd be, as you said, fairly significant.
                            --Annie
                            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                            Remember Yellowdog
                            ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                              That's a terrible trade. Besides Houston doesn't have a "bat". That was their problem last year. I'd MUCH rather trade Manny for Ervin Santana SP and Brandon Wood SS. We need a very good young SS. Wood would solidify that position for years to come, and Santana would be another fantastic addition to our pitching staff. Imagine next season with:

Matsuzaka
                              Beckett
                              Papelbon
                              Santana
                              Lester.

That would be filthy with none of them over the age of 27. Plus if we did get Santana this season it would make our bullpen that much better. We could let Lester come back nice and slow, and in 08 Wake could move to the pen if he's still pitching.
                              While the trade you proposed isn't bad. What about the 2007 season? Even with a filthy rotation, remove Manny from our lineup and it's not all that impressive outside Ortiz, he'll be treated like Vlad was last season or how Bonds was treated a couple of years ago. We saw how effective those clubs were when their offense was revolved one player with no protection.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X