Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN.COM article

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...t&lid=tab2pos1

Well as the opposition () I think McAdam is right on, what do you guys think?
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

To tell you the truth, I think its a terrible article.

Lugo would also provide the Sox with some speed, something they sorely lack throughout the lineup. As the premier middle infield free agent, Lugo might price himself out, in which case the Sox could bring Gonzalez back.
    Right, and he's going to be allowed to run a lot? No, not hitting in front of Papi and Manny, since he would probably be hitting 1st or 2nd.

He talks about right field for aboth two paragraphs without even mentioning WMP. And then he says this..

If Drew falls through, the Sox could look at a lefty hitter like David Dellucci and platoon him with Wily Mo Pena. But Pena is an adventure in the field and neither would offer much in the way of protection for the dynamic duo of David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez.
    .301 .349 .489 -- that was Wily Mo's production last year, i'd say thats good enough protection... Its ridiculous to think we need at 35 HR guy batting behind Ramirez... Well then who would protect the 35HR guy??

Second base: Dustin Pedroia was thought to be the answer here, but his struggles during a September call-up (.191-2-7 in 89 at-bats) have raised questions about his readiness to play every day.
    Yeah im sure the Sox FO is scrambling for a 2nd baseman because Pedroia didnt hit well in 89 ABs

This guy is pretty much saying that without an all-star at every position we have no chance, and that makes him sound more like the casual fan than someone who knows this team.

Comment

That's "many holes"? What a horrible article.

Comment

Well I think he right about WMP, I also think he has a point about WMP's defensive prowlice. You can put too much stock into a guy who's been a prospect for four years on the Major League level. It isn't like he didn't have a good ball-park to hit in, he's always been poised to have that "break out" season for four straight years. He can be good, however I do not see him being an everyday player/

About Pedoria, he was just saying that he may not be ready to play everyday. Nothing more nothing less, a feeling that I share with McAdam. I do think that Pedoria will be a fine second basemen for ten years, however I do not think he's ready to play every day. However, at the moment it is not worth it to resign Loretta for another season just to use him as a starter for a month or so.

If they do sign Lugo, they should let him run, a good basestealer (aswell as good pitching) helped set the tone for the White Sox' 2005 season. Right now it seems to be the only option for the Red Sox at SS, unless you want to platoon Loretta, Cora, and Pedoria at MINF...doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

The strongest point was the bullpen, which I think speaks for himself and no Red Sox fan will disagree with.

However as Evan pointed out the Red Sox have many strengths:

Ortiz/Ramirez: Argubaly the best one/two punch in baseball today (Dye/Thome or Konerko/Thome still have an argument also Pujols/anyone will always have a strong argument)

The Starting Rotation: Top five rotation as it stands now, but than again you really can't say for sure untill Febuary.

Good Infield Defense: Lugo is still pretty good, I dunno what you'll do with Lowell

Coco Crisp is a better player than his stats last season would suggest. This is a guy who hit .300 in 2005 and he has good speed, give him another chance.
        "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Well I think he right about WMP, I also think he has a point about WMP's defensive prowlice. You can put too much stock into a guy who's been a prospect for four years on the Major League level. It isn't like he didn't have a good ball-park to hit in, he's always been poised to have that "break out" season for four straight years. He can be good, however I do not see him being an everyday player.
          Dude, he's 24 years old.

Comment

The team had a lot of holes at one point last offseason as well and was able to patch things together. The offseason is young, the Red Sox have a lot of money, some good trade bait in the form of pitching prospects, and aggressive management - they'll find answers for their "holes." The question then becomes whether they found the best answers.

Comment

Well I think he right about WMP, I also think he has a point about WMP's defensive prowlice. You can put too much stock into a guy who's been a prospect for four years on the Major League level.
              Lol, he hit .300 last year, has a TON of power and played CF pretty well. He's actually pretty fast, especially for a big guy.

About Pedoria, he was just saying that he may not be ready to play everyday. Nothing more nothing less, a feeling that I share with McAdam. I do think that Pedoria will be a fine second basemen for ten years, however I do not think he's ready to play every day.
              Well thats where we differ. I'm not going to say that someone isnt really to play because he didnt do well last year in less than a 100 ABs.

If they do sign Lugo, they should let him run, a good basestealer (aswell as good pitching) helped set the tone for the White Sox' 2005 season.
              To steal bases at a point where it helps your team, you have to steal at a 75% clip. Whats the point of taking that chance when you have two of the best hitters in all of baseball hitting behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
                If they do sign Lugo, they should let him run, a good basestealer (aswell as good pitching) helped set the tone for the White Sox' 2005 season. Right now it seems to be the only option for the Red Sox at SS, unless you want to platoon Loretta, Cora, and Pedoria at MINF...doesn't seem like the best idea to me.
                But we're not the 2005 CWS. That team was built on speed. The basepaths are clogged (or cleared, depending on the case ) with Manny and Papi out there.

But make no mistake--you're just as much of an instigator as johnbuckformvp, just a bit more subtle.

Comment

Well I think he right about WMP, I also think he has a point about WMP's defensive prowlice. You can put too much stock into a guy who's been a prospect for four years on the Major League level. It isn't like he didn't have a good ball-park to hit in, he's always been poised to have that "break out" season for four straight years. He can be good, however I do not see him being an everyday player/
                  You need to do a little research before you say stuff like this. First of all, WMP hit 25 homers when he was 22 years old in a platooning role, so what makes you think that he can't hit 40 if he's given a everyday starting job? His biggest problem had always been his AVG. They worked with him alot this past year, and he hit a very respectable .301. His defense isn't very good in RF, but I think we really need to move him to CF, and let Coco move to LF, and trade Manny. Then sign Drew or someone. That would make our OF still pretty good. WMP has been very good in CF throughout his career. The whole thing with WMP is that he's had potential for years, but he never should have been up as early as he was. He was on a crappy team, so they kept shuffling him between AAA and MLB. This kid is only 24 years old. I think you definetely need to give him at least a year to see what he can do. I think he can be a very good player. .280avg. 35-45HRs 90-100RBIs. I think he could certainly get those numbers if given the chance to play everyday. I hope the Sox don't trade him, but the more I think about it, the more I think they will. Everyone knows his power, but now that he hit .301 last season, I think they will be shopping him because of that avg along with the HR's.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                    But we're not the 2005 CWS. That team was built on speed. The basepaths are clogged (or cleared, depending on the case ) with Manny and Papi out there.

But make no mistake--you're just as much of an instigator as johnbuckformvp, just a bit more subtle.
                    I don't really see how Chris was instigating anything. You might disagree with what he's saying or might think he's underinformed, but overall he just seems to be giving his honest opinion and doesn't seem to have any inflammatory language. Is it that subtle or am I missing something?

I actually believe calling out people like you just did tends to incite more than an honest sharing of thoughts (even if from a Yankee fan you disagree with).

Comment

To steal bases at a point where it helps your team, you have to steal at a 75% clip. Whats the point of taking that chance when you have two of the best hitters in all of baseball hitting behind you.
                      That sums up my thoughts on base stealing for the Red Sox. The Yankees took a similar approach, but seem more active on the bases with players like Damon and Abreu added during the 2006 season. Along with Jeter and A-Rod, the Yankees do have a good core of base runners. Let's not forget how stacked their lineup would be.

The case differ in Boston. You would think they have trouble scoring runners, so why not steal and try to create runs with a double or a regular base hit? Obviously, you don't want to risk the chance of losing the chance for Manny and Ortiz to drive them. When Damon was with the Sox, he did run a lot during his first two season, but ran much less. I doubt you see Damon stealing 46 bases like he did with Kansas City on a team like New York or Boston. Point would be you don't steal as often when you do have the bats behide to drive him in.

Lower in the order, I'm all for it. If Lugo signed, Crisp be in the lower part of the order, which would be cool since he'll be set lose a lot of the times. Stealing bases has been a hard statistic to judge since it could help, but it could hurt if you're throw out and the next hitter hits a HR.

Comment

Well I think he right about WMP, I also think he has a point about WMP's defensive prowlice. You can put too much stock into a guy who's been a prospect for four years on the Major League level. It isn't like he didn't have a good ball-park to hit in, he's always been poised to have that "break out" season for four straight years. He can be good, however I do not see him being an everyday player.
                        I agree completely. I like him, but Wily Mo is a horrible defensive outfielder and makes Dave Kingman look selective. I don't want him to be a Doug Mirrabeli though, starting only when needed. I would play him 75-80 games a season and have him pinch hit a lot. He's got awsome power. Remember that 552 foot blast in Kansas City?
                        Last edited by The Kid; 11-20-2006, 12:04 PM.
                        "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6

This isn't ok for the board. I don't want to see anyone stirring things up like this, ok?.
                          Last edited by SoxSon; 11-20-2006, 03:21 PM.
                          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

i hadn't paid much attention to this guy's work until recently, but he seems to me to be a huge, unrestrained, blatant yankee fan. not only that, but equally blatantly anti-red sox. i haven't read this article yet, i'm not sure i'll have time to today, but given what i've read from him recently, i'm sure it's about how theo needs to take lessons from cashman and georgie on how to run a team.
                            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Well I think he right about WMP, I also think he has a point about WMP's defensive prowlice..
                              he doesn't. wily is terrible in left, exactly average in right, and great in center. he was great in all 3 positions last season.

About Pedoria, he was just saying that he may not be ready to play everyday.
                              that's all i think anyone took him to be saying, the thing is that he has no basis for saying it. if we're gonna judge folks by their worst 90 at bats, a-rod should be in the minors as well.

i'll look at the rest of your post later, i'm getting kicked to my next class.
                              Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X