Matsuzaka in 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evangelion
    Matsuzaka will win 10-12 games, if possible, if Boston trade Manny. Our offense will be that effected by dealing Manny. Lol, J.D. Drew protecting Ortiz. Honestly, I don't understand the thought process behide management if they even think Drew 1/4 the player Rameriz would be. Neither are great character type players looking at Rameriz's attitude and Drew's attitude, most recently optioning out of a contract to get even more money.
    As a Yankees fan, I hope the Sox make that mistake and unload Ramirez in the thought that JD Drew can provide anything close to the protection that Ramirez provided, especially during those 40 games Drew is liable to miss. Ramirez is a true offensive force - you can't replace that and you can't overstate just how much he impacts that lineup.

Comment

assuming we get him, let's not count our eggs before they hatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
        assuming we get him, let's not count our eggs before they hatch.

If we trade Manny, then Ortiz will bat 4th. Drew would probably bat 3rd. If Drew is on base, they will have a much hard time walking ortiz. That should help. Then bat WMP 5th. Obviously not the protection of Manny, but Pena should be good.

Comment

I voted "14-16" because I have a feeling he'll win 16 games. It's how most of his stats have translated out if you factor in the BoSox lineup/defense/transition from Japan/etc.
          "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
          -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

I think Matsuzaka will win about 12 games this season. I can't see him coming in and being an instant all star. He has to learn the MLB hitters, learn the way he has to pitch in the MLB, and learn an entirely new language (or atleast parts of it). As a yankee fan I hope he doesn't become an instant ace but I was happy when the Yanks didn't win the bid. I think he's overhyped and overpayed. That is assuming the Sox can actually sign Matsuzaka. I've heard that if he doesn't sign, he will have to stay 2 more years in Japan, then come to the MLB as a full free agent. So if you think about this, if he could wait two more years, he could probably make alot more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike27
              I think he's overhyped and overpayed. That is assuming the Sox can actually sign Matsuzaka.
              Overpaid? He isn't even getting paid yet, we don't even know what his contract will be.

Comment

Reports is Boston offered him 6 years for 48 million. Boras wants a 3 years 45 million.

I don't think Red Sox would spend nearly 100 million just to have someone pitch with them for 3 years, not even if Matsuzaka wins 15 plus games a year.

And Boras/Matsuzaka wants a short term 3 year deal so Matsuzaka be a free agent again at 29 and get another big money contract.
                Frank's Field of Dreams
                "If I build it, you'll come."

Comment

Looking at Boras' deal, I would reject it in a heart beat. How about we spend that 100 million in buying the entire free agent market?

Comment

Originally posted by Ichiro51
                    Reports is Boston offered him 6 years for 48 million. Boras wants a 3 years 45 million.

I don't think Red Sox would spend nearly 100 million just to have someone pitch with them for 3 years, not even if Matsuzaka wins 15 plus games a year.

And Boras/Matsuzaka wants a short term 3 year deal so Matsuzaka be a free agent again at 29 and get another big money contract.
                    3/45 is fine, as long as there's no out clause.
                    If Boras is asking for that and an out clause...:grouchy

As for this thread...
                    Am I the only one who thinks he'll win 20+?

Comment

I think the Red Sox wont agree to sign him for just 3 years. Rather 5-6 years.
                      Because we just spent 51.1 million!!!

His numbers: 200 innings, 3.80 ERA 16 wins. 190 SO
                      I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan
                        I think the Red Sox wont agree to sign him for just 3 years. Rather 5-6 years.
                        Because we just spent 51.1 million!!!

His numbers: 200 innings, 3.80 ERA 16 wins. 190 SO
                        Matsuzaka? He didnt have a 3.80 ERA. Or are you making a prediction?

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                          Matsuzaka? He didnt have a 3.80 ERA. Or are you making a prediction?
                          Prediction for 2007 of course..
                          I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                            If he doesn't sign with Boston, his team back in Japan will have to give Boston all their money back. Let's just say, that won't sit well with them. From my point of view, the Sox got the upper hand in discussion with Matsuzaka. Matsuzaka doesn't sign with the Sox, he'll cost his former, or current team if he retuns, team 51 million dollars.
                            yeah, that's what i'm saying about him being borderline-humiliated if he was forced to return to japan.

Originally posted by DoubleX
                            As a Yankees fan, I hope the Sox make that mistake and unload Ramirez in the thought that JD Drew can provide anything close to the protection that Ramirez provided, especially during those 40 games Drew is liable to miss. Ramirez is a true offensive force - you can't replace that and you can't overstate just how much he impacts that lineup.
                            as has been discussed endlessly in other threads and i have said many times, if they pitch around ortiz, but we beef up the bottom of the lineup enough so that they can drive him in consistently, this is not a terrible thing.

overall i'm against trading manny, but i'm so tired of hearing how david ortiz is this fringe-average player without manny lol, that i almost want to see him get traded just so i can prove my freaking point lol.

manny's protection in the lineup was trot nixon for years. worse player than j.d. drew. manny was fine. think of the 10 players you have seen get pitched around most, and ask yourself if it kept a single one of them from being an offensive monster.

Originally posted by Ichiro51

i absolutely cannot believe that boston offer. as in literally, i think whatever report that was realeased in was ridiculous.

MAYBE 4 years with 2 options or something. but they've said cold and hard: we will not give any contracts with more than 4 non option years. and they haven't bent that rule once, not for pedro, not for papi, not for varitek, not once. i canot believe that they would then not only exceed their limit, but exceed it by 50% with an unproven (as much as i think "provenness" is a drastically overvalued quality, it does count for something) pitcher.

then again, nothing you said implied that all 6 years were guarantted, but even so. a 4 year contract w/ 2 options would just be a very weird contract, and i can't believe they'd offer him more than 4 years.

Originally posted by wigglestrue
                            3/45 is fine, as long as there's no out clause.
                            If Boras is asking for that and an out clause...:grouchy

As for this thread...
                            Am I the only one who thinks he'll win 20+?
                            i think he will one day, but certainly not in 07. there isn't a pitcher in baseball i would say has a better than a 40% chance of winning 20 games next season (or any given individual season), and he isn't the best pitcher in baseball (that said i honestly think hes easily top 30 or even top 15).
                            Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X