Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RP Hideki Okajima

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RP Hideki Okajima

    Hideki Okajima is in serious discussions with the Red Sox about a two-year deal, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reports. The 30-year-old left-handed reliever, who was 2-2 with a 2.14 ERA and four saves last season for the Nippon Ham Fighters, is a free agent.

    After the Orioles got Bradford, Baez and Williamson and we got none RP, The Red Sox want to get relief help from Japan.

    I was sad to say the truth, that we couldnt get Baez. He is a very good one and Boston wanted him.

    Orioles gave him 3 years 19 millions. Thats nearly closer money, he wont be a closer though. Chris Ray will be. But Baez is a guy i love. He has no star allure. He is a worker.

    I think Red Sox will get Gagné and Borowski and see who can do it.

    I dont think the Red Sox will try to sign another starting pitcher. This would be easier and put Papelbon back to closing.
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

  • #2
    He could be the new RedSox closer...

    Or Gagné.
    We have massive needs at bullpen...
    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

    Comment


    • #3
      i'm interested to know more about this okajima guy...anyone seen a sheet of his full career stats? all i've seen are his pitching triple crown stats from this season.
      Gelatin Fernandalism

      Comment


      • #4
        It would have been nice to have seen the Red Sox pick up a real relief pitcher, but as of now it looks like more of the same from last year - a combination of aging veterans (Timlin, Tavarez, Seanez, etc.) and not-quite-ready-for-the-majors rookie prospects (Hansen, Delcarmen, etc.)

        I wouldn't mind seeing Gagne with the Red Sox, but don't expect him to be the Gagne that he was in 2003. That's assuming he's even able to pitch at all.

        This is the first I've heard of Okajima, and although he sounds promising based on his Japanese league stats, there have been plenty of Asian pitchers who did extraordinarily well overseas, but were unable to perform at the same level in the majors. It's the same risk that they're taking with Matsuzaka, and if the risks pay off, it could anchor the Red Sox pitching staff for the next few years. On the other hand, if Matsuzaka and Okajima sign with the Red Sox and go the direction of Hideo Nomo or Hideki Irabu, it could set them back quite a bit financially.
        "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

        -Cy Young

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PhilWings24
          i'm interested to know more about this okajima guy...anyone seen a sheet of his full career stats? all i've seen are his pitching triple crown stats from this season.
          http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=169775
          I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

          Comment


          • #6
            It would be good if we could sign this guy, he and DMat could use each other for support.

            That is, of course, if we sign DMat.

            Comment


            • #7
              Congratulations, according to ESPN you have signed this guy.
              2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sean Casey
                It would have been nice to have seen the Red Sox pick up a real relief pitcher, but as of now it looks like more of the same from last year - a combination of aging veterans (Timlin, Tavarez, Seanez, etc.) and not-quite-ready-for-the-majors rookie prospects (Hansen, Delcarmen, etc.)

                I wouldn't mind seeing Gagne with the Red Sox, but don't expect him to be the Gagne that he was in 2003. That's assuming he's even able to pitch at all.

                This is the first I've heard of Okajima, and although he sounds promising based on his Japanese league stats, there have been plenty of Asian pitchers who did extraordinarily well overseas, but were unable to perform at the same level in the majors. It's the same risk that they're taking with Matsuzaka, and if the risks pay off, it could anchor the Red Sox pitching staff for the next few years. On the other hand, if Matsuzaka and Okajima sign with the Red Sox and go the direction of Hideo Nomo or Hideki Irabu, it could set them back quite a bit financially.
                i agree with you, but i'm sure they're not done with the bullpen, and i also think this guy is probably one of the best relievers on the market, overall.

                i would like to see a full listing of his career stats, but given the sad sad state of our pen, i've got no problems with signing a guy who should at least be able to pitch lots of innings and have a 4.20 ish era, which is about what this guy seems to be.

                but like i said, all i have seen on him are his stats for last season and his overall career stats, i'm yet to see his season0by season numbers.
                Gelatin Fernandalism

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, we signed this guy to a 2 year deal -- or so ESPN says.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...rt=MLB&id=4865

                    Hideki Okajima is guaranteed $2.5 million under the terms of the two-year deal he signed with the Red Sox on Thursday. Included is a $1.75 million option for 2009.
                    That's sweet.

                    No bid. No pick compensation.

                    His role will be setup/LOOGY.
                    So his Japanese stats should translate well.

                    Matsuzaka would have another Japanese speaker in the clubhouse.

                    I love this deal.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Word is that Okajima chose to take less money to sign with Boston.

                      Wow, if true.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        $2.5 million for 2 years...I'd say the Red Sox got a pretty good deal out of that
                        "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

                        -Cy Young

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Lol, we finally got a lefty to contend with the likes of Damon, Giambi and Abreu. We were lacking badly with a left hander since we didn't have one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            this is a very nice deal indeed, assuming he can pitch full innings effectively.

                            i, in general, have always been against loogy's. but if he can consistently pitch a full inning effectively, i'm fine with it.
                            Gelatin Fernandalism

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PhilWings24
                              this is a very nice deal indeed, assuming he can pitch full innings effectively.

                              i, in general, have always been against loogy's. but if he can consistently pitch a full inning effectively, i'm fine with it.
                              loogy's? Long relief pitchers?

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X