Terry Francona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Francona?

How do Sox fans feel about Terry Francona? For a guy that guided the team to that elusive championship, I haven't really noticed much praise for him from the media or the fans.

he's quite, he's not really all over the media. he doesn't feel the need to go camera hunting. he is much like torre in that way. neitherof them go out seeking press, answer questions when they get asked, and generally remain pretty calm.
    Lifelong Redsox Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Omahasoxfan
      he's quite
      He's quite what?
      "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
        He's quite what?
        I believe he meant to say quiet.

Terry Francona has been a good manager for the Red Sox. Though, I'm not one to focus on mangers of team as much as other people. If the manager manages the game good, like Terry has, then he's doing a good job. I really don't praise good managemant by a manager during a game all that much and probably never will. Still, in the end, Terry done a great job with the Red Sox?

Comment

How's he with the press, both after a win and after a loss?

How is he with the players? Since Joe Torre's name was mentioned, one thing he's well-known for is going to bat for the players against Boss George, even at his own expense re George turning on him.

Anything about in-game decisions, use of vets, young guys, if he's shown a favoritism towards either, I'd love hearing about.

Then there's his use of the pen, the bench guys, stuff like that I'm interested in.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
            I believe he meant to say quiet.

Terry Francona has been a good manager for the Red Sox. Though, I'm not one to focus on mangers of team as much as other people. If the manager manages the game good, like Terry has, then he's doing a good job. I really don't praise good managemant by a manager during a game all that much and probably never will. Still, in the end, Terry done a great job with the Red Sox?
            He knows what was meant. Take anything from a guy with a picture of Paul "The Crybaby" O'neill in his posts with a grain of salt.

Comment

Generally, I'd say Francona handles the press very well. The fact that he hasn't been roasted on a spit in the Boston area press should speak volumes in itself. As a manager of a baseball team, he can seem to be something of a pushover in public; I don't know much about what happens behind the scenes. Over the course of a season, it seems to me that he experiments with lineups for the entire year. By the time September rolls around, you're never quite sure what the makeup of the team is beyond the marquee players, and even then his loose managerial style means there is likely to be at least one discipline issue to contend with down the stretch (usually Manny).

Personally, I still don't know what to make of him. If the Sox announced that they were parting ways with him and going in a different direction, my response would be more determined by the successor than by his departure. If he can pull a rabbit out of this year's hat, however, I might adjust that opinion.

2007 World Series Champions
              The Boston Red Sox

Comment

My impressions from afar of Francona are that he really isn't a difference maker or a great manager and that the Sox could have won in '04 with someone else at the helm. He really seems like a middle of the road manager to me, but I guess his calm demeanor and approachability with the media fits well in Boston.

Comment

They might have won with Little or another manager in '04. It is hard to say though if someone else could have led them from 0-3 to the Yankees to four straight victories including two on the road. Sweeping the Cardinals who had the best record in baseball took some excellent decision making.

Of course you could also credit the pitching coach since he somehow got everyone focused on their performance.
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

To me Francona is like most managers, including Torre, in that if he has horses he can win and when he doesn't he doesn't.
                    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X