$70 Million! For Drew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $70 Million! For Drew?

Is it me, or does anyone else think $70M is out of wack for Drew?
    A guy who hit 30hrs and 100 RBI's once in his disabled list ridden career.

It's ridiculous for a player with no stats!
    68.00%
    It's ok. If they got it, spend it.
    32.00%
    Ken Fougère

I dont really agree with either of the choices. The reason I didnt agree with the signing was his injuries, the stats are there.

I voted the second one, nevertheless.

Comment

It's an okay signing. His job is to be the new Trot Nixon. He will do that. His last two injuries have been due to getting hit by pitches. This puts them in the "traumatic" category (i.e. non-recurring) as opposed to recurring and/or cascading injuries.

Thinking about the money is driving us all crazy. I try to think about whether a club is better off with or without the guy.
      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
        It's an okay signing. His job is to be the new Trot Nixon. He will do that.
        If you think about it that way, without factoring in the money at all, his job will be to replace Trot Nixon, and he'll be a big upgrade from Trot Nixon, even though they both are frequently injured.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
          If you think about it that way, without factoring in the money at all, his job will be to replace Trot Nixon, and he'll be a big upgrade from Trot Nixon, even though they both are frequently injured.
          Ya, OK. But at $14M a year?
          I'd expect a proven player with a solid track record for that amount of scratch . . .
          Ken Fougère

Comment

Originally posted by KenFougere
            I'd expect a proven player with a solid track record for that amount of scratch . . .
            I completely agree with you. I was just saying what we could observe if money was not an issue. Paying this much money to a player with Drew's track-record is very risky. Yeah, he has great potential, but he's been in the majors for 8 years and hasn't shown that much other than an ability to miss about 40 games a year.

Comment

It depends greatly on the definition of value. On one hand, is any player worth even a fraction of what they're making? Of course not. I work harder than most of these players and don't make 10% of a minimum MLB contract.

Were they worth that much on an open market? Well, obviously they were because that's what they got.

Debating wether or not you think the Sox overpaid for the guy is pretty pointless here. You're not privy to much of the information that they are, and these people make a lot more money than you do to make these decisions. A risk? Yes, but one that has a pretty decent chance of paying off (great defense, good, solid #5 hitter. Injuries may be a thing of the past).

If your argument is that we pay premium prices for tickets and you don't feel that they're spending your money wisely, consider what we're paying for. Victory comes at a price, and the team needs to pay what it needs to pay to win. Is it a lot of money? Yes, of course it is. They're ALL overpaid. But that was the best option to help the team win.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                I dont really agree with either of the choices. The reason I didnt agree with the signing was his injuries, the stats are there.

I voted the second one, nevertheless.

I agree with Evan. That leaves me unsure how to vote.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Sankhara-dukkha
                  It depends greatly on the definition of value. On one hand, is any player worth even a fraction of what they're making? Of course not. I work harder than most of these players and don't make 10% of a minimum MLB contract.

Were they worth that much on an open market? Well, obviously they were because that's what they got.

Debating whether or not you think the Sox overpaid for the guy is pretty pointless here. You're not privy to much of the information that they are, and these people make a lot more money than you do to make these decisions. A risk? Yes, but one that has a pretty decent chance of paying off (great defense, good, solid #5 hitter. Injuries may be a thing of the past).

If your argument is that we pay premium prices for tickets and you don't feel that they're spending your money wisely, consider what we're paying for. Victory comes at a price, and the team needs to pay what it needs to pay to win. Is it a lot of money? Yes, of course it is. They're ALL overpaid. But that was the best option to help the team win.
                  Compare this situation with Drew, (where they'll put out $14M yr. to an unproven player) to them refusing to pay Damon more than $10M yr when he played through injuries year in & year out as one of the best lead-off hitters we've ever had . . .
                  It seems their idea of "value" is inconsistent.
                  Ken Fougère

Comment

Withouth spending the buckeroos, they wouldn't have gotten him, since he'd opted out of his LAD contract specifically to make more money as an FA. I'm not sure how well he'll play Fenway's RF, but his health is definitely something he'll have to work on. Like Josh Beckett in 2006, it's a big gamble, I believe, on his playing many games.

I came across this link from his baseball-reference.com page:

http://www.losangelesdodgersonline.com/jddrew.php
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by KenFougere
                      Drew is a faster and more powerful player than Trot, and he does deserve 14 M a year, but it was ridiculios to sign him for five years. Oh yea, can you stop with the colors and size? It's givin me a headache.
                      "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Drew and Damon are apples and oranges, though. The whole market is crazy this year, including the Drew contract. that's hwy I say it depends on how you define the value. By definition, they're either all worth it, because that's what it took to sign them, or none are worth it because they're all overpaid.

You can only compare him to other right fielders with similar numbers and defensive ability signed as free agents this year. If he's the best RF on the market, you have to pay a bit extra for that.

Honestly, I don't think we can tell until the season starts. If the sox make a good run at it, it's a good move. If not, and Drew's a bust, it's a bad move. So far, to me, both this and the matsuzaka moves are major risks with major potential rewards.

Gotta spend it to win, and it's not like the sox are the devil rays. A couple bad, even monumental, risks that don't pan out aren't going to kill the team in the long run because there's always plenty more where that came from. Not to mention a pretty respectable looking farm system.

Comment

Anyone think that this might cause some friction with Ortiz given that Drew is earning more?

Comment

Signing a player who has only reached 500 at bats in a season once in his career to this kind of money seems foolish to me.
                            "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                            -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                              Anyone think that this might cause some friction with Ortiz given that Drew is earning more?
                              Never thought about that, XX, good point. However, i'm sure the Sox would use the the "he plays defense" thing with him. The market really dicated Drew getting more, if Ortiz waits til the end of the season, he makes 4 million more per year.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X