$70 Million! For Drew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvanAparra
    Never thought about that, XX, good point. However, i'm sure the Sox would use the the "he plays defense" thing with him. The market really dicated Drew getting more, if Ortiz waits til the end of the season, he makes 4 million more per year.
    Thanks, but I think I stole it from Jon Heyman.

They could use the fielding excuse, but I think Ortiz could be offended by that. Ortiz seems to regard himself as the MVP of the team (and probably rightfully so), so if management is saying his lack of fielding is holding him back, that might not sit too well with him. You never know what kind of little things can start that chain reaction that eventually leads to a player wanting out.

When is Ortiz's contract up?
    Last edited by DoubleX; 12-09-2006, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX

When is Ortiz's contract up?
      2011, I believe.

Comment

it's a dumb signing. i've always been a big defender of theo and all GM's, really (i have said and still believe that it takes an absolute minimum of 5 years and more like 10 years-probably even more like 15- to accurately assess a GM). so my general idea on the school of GMing makes me think that tehre must be more to what's going on here; as i have discussed alot in the thread titled "JD Drew." In particular, both epstein and boras have elluded to his defense being a huge huge deal. that makes me think that there's some hard-to-notice tendency in the way he plays defense that makes him an even greater asset to the sox than his sterling reputation as a fielder would lead us to believe. i don't know.

but in and of itself, this is a dumb deal. lugo's was avery nice deal, except a year longer than it should've been IMO.

i don't really agree with either of the choices. this guy has great stats. even his injuries i don't care about, really. i think his defense justabout balances his injury problems out, meaning that if you assume he has an average health history AND an average defensive ability, and go purely by his rate stats, that'd give you a decent idea of how valuable he is.

my problem with it is giving any one younger than 27 a 5 year deal. hell if they wanted to pay him 18 mil a year over 3 years i would've rathered that. i also worry about an a-rod or pat burrell situation breaking out, where he produces wonderfully and that still isn't enough.

there is something to be said for the market though. j.d. drew is a much better player than carlos lee, and got a much smaller deal. so, all things considered, i think this is clearly a dumb deal, but not the sort of dumb that cripples a franchise.

edit: papi's last guaranteed year is 2010, and they have a team option for 2011 i'm almost certain.
        Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
          Anyone think that this might cause some friction with Ortiz given that Drew is earning more?
          i suppose it could, but i see no reason to think it would. this was papi's first year being one of the top 5 highest paid players on the team, and he's still #3 (number 4 counting drew), and his pay has never been a problem.

there's never been an issue with his contract, and plus he doesn't strike me as the sort of guy to care much about money.

Originally posted by cbenson5
          Signing a player who has only reached 500 at bats in a season once in his career to this kind of money seems foolish to me.
          yep, that's pretty much the source of all the debate here. he's a much better player than carlos lee-even given his injury problems- and not all 500 AB's are created equal. also, there is a little something to be said about the fact he walks a ton, so 500 AB's with him are really like 600 PA's. he has an interesting injury history, too, and a few guys like bpro's joe sheehan think he might consistently play 130-150 games for the rest of his career. (just a quick quick oversimplified sumamry of what he was saying- he was a 145 game a year player early in his career who was platooned. upon becoming a full time player, he had 1 real injury plagued season; meaning that it was multiple injuries. aside from that, he's missed 10-20 games each year with different knee and shoulder soreness issues, plus 2 serious traumatic injuries)

Never thought about that, XX, good point. However, i'm sure the Sox would use the the "he plays defense" thing with him. The market really dicated Drew getting more, if Ortiz waits til the end of the season, he makes 4 million more per year.
          that wouldn't really work, cus papi is constantly asking to play first base, and the team doesn't let him. so it's not his fault he doesn't play defense.
          Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWings24
            that wouldn't really work, cus papi is constantly asking to play first base, and the team doesn't let him. so it's not his fault he doesn't play defense.
            Where did you get that? Has he come out and said it lately?

Comment

Where did you get that? Has he come out and said it lately?
              not lately, but he said it after 03, in ST in 04, in ST in 05, and in ST this year.

i bring it up all the time when defending him for not playing the field; its not that he has said he wants to focus solely on hitting, its that the red sox have had consistently better alternatives.

he asks to play the field publicly about once a year, and i'm sure it goes on alot behind the scene.
              Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Drew's numbers and Abreu's numbers are the same. massive OBP ok-HR.

Yankees pay to Abreu 17 millions a year. The Red Sox pay to Drew 14 millions. Whats the big deal?

Don't come with he is a bad guy...

Did anyone met with him personally? NO!

Just let him play he is the nicest fit for us. Too many people shout for better players in our lineup, we get them and now it's also not ok. I'm really sick about that. It gets boring. Yes Drew is worth 10 million a year, not 14. But thats the free agency isn't it?

Marquis gets 10 million y year with an 6 ERA...

We got better let the guy play in the 5th spot and the Red Sox are much much better than last year even the year before.
                I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X