Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox potential tampering

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/sp...=1&oref=slogin

Regardless of the source, looks like teams around the MLB aren't happy with the Sox.
    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
    -Don Fehr

I remember reading a few weeks ago that teams were pretty pissed off about the rumored purposes of Lucchino's trip to Japan in that he was looking for the Seibu Lions to contribute to the posting fee. If that's true, that would be pretty heinous, IMO - the Sox bid that money, they should deal in good faith and be preparted to actually spend that money.

To be honest, I don't like Lucchino, he really seems underhanded to me - so I really wouldn't put anything by the Red Sox as long as he's there.

Comment

What's the penalty if the Red Sox were to be found guilty of tampering? Would Drew have to be returned to the Dodgers? Would Theo or anyone else in the front office be forced to resign?

If so I hope there's overwhelming evidence of tampering!
      "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Well I hate the Red Sox probably more than any other Yankees fan here, the guys on this forum are still cool though, but I'm kind of uneasy about this...I'm not ready to accuse them of this yet. The JD Drew thing did seem kind of odd, when I heard that he walked away from 30 mill I thought to my self "WHAT AN IDIOT" because I thought now who is going to pay an under performing injury prone in his early 30s more than 30 mill over 3 years...well I guess he found someone to. Just seems odd that Boston was the only team that showed any real interest in him, if you're going to walk away from 30 mill you best know that you're going to either win a WS (doubtfully) or going to get more (which I thought to be even more doubtfully) so that seems a bit odd. The Matsuzaka thing seemed odd too, I mean 51.1 mil???? That is such an absurd amount of money and that is so far out of the realm of reason for a posting fee it isn't even funny...I dunno

What are the consequences for the Red Sox if they are to be found guilty on all counts?

Also please do not question the veracity of the New York Times, they are a reputable paper who is also fair in sports and not biased towards the Yankees,this is Baseball Fever...not Fox News.
        Last edited by SoxSon; 12-08-2006, 02:01 PM. Reason: Language...tone it down.
        "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
          Also please do not question the veracity of the New York Times, they are a reputable paper who is also fair in sports and not biased towards the Yankees,this is Baseball Fever...not Fox News.
          Good point, I think it says a lot when something like this is reported in the NY Times, versus say the Post or Daily News. The Times is arguably the most reputable and prestigious daily newspaper in the country.

Comment

Looks like others are jumping on this as well now. Here's a foxsports.com article.

Comment

Bah.

Chass is known to say anything negative about the Sox, regardless of sources or speculation. The Drew thing doesnt much surprise me, Boras is his agent after all. Classic mountain out of a mole hill.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                Good point, I think it says a lot when something like this is reported in the NY Times, versus say the Post or Daily News. The Times is arguably the most reputable and prestigious daily newspaper in the country.
                The Times' reputation has been rapidly falling over the last few years.... That being said, still more reputable than the Post.

Comment

If that's true, that would be pretty heinous, IMO - the Sox bid that money, they should deal in good faith and be preparted to actually spend that money.
                  Look up Ichiro.

Comment

I remember reading a few weeks ago that teams were pretty pissed off about the rumored purposes of Lucchino's trip to Japan in that he was looking for the Seibu Lions to contribute to the posting fee. If that's true, that would be pretty heinous, IMO - the Sox bid that money, they should deal in good faith and be preparted to actually spend that money.

To be honest, I don't like Lucchino, he really seems underhanded to me - so I really wouldn't put anything by the Red Sox as long as he's there.
                    That would be entirely in line with what Leisuresuit Larry tried to pull in 2003 when the Sox almost landed A-Rod. If you'll recall, Lucchino became point man on a deal that struck a reef when he tried to juggle the numbers to diminish the value of A-Rod's contract through "restructuring." In trying to pull a bait and switch, the Sox prompted MLB to step in and put the kibosh on the whole thing. Of course Boston fans, their inferiority complexes especially piqued after dropping the 2003 ALCS to the Yanks, chose to believe it was A-Rod's fault the deal failed.

2007 World Series Champions
                    The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Drew had an opt-out clause in his contract--if anyone's at fault here, it's the Dodgers for giving him that option. IMO they should be thankful because I don't think Drew was worth $11M a year, let alone the $14M a year the Sox are going to pay him.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                        The Times' reputation has been rapidly falling over the last few years.... That being said, still more reputable than the Post.
                        Yep, it has. The Jayson Blair scandal was a heavy and the intentional security leak killed them in the court of public opinion. Still, I'm sure their sports page is better than most.
                        Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                          Drew had an opt-out clause in his contract--if anyone's at fault here, it's the Dodgers for giving him that option. IMO they should be thankful because I don't think Drew was worth $11M a year, let alone the $14M a year the Sox are going to pay him.
                          That's true. I think the issue might be that the Red Sox made him some assurances while he was still under contract, which I guess is tampering. He would have had to opt out before the Sox could have engaged him.

At first when I heard that Drew opted out, I thought it was ludricous that he thought he could get more than 11 million per on the open market - so tampering would have made sense at that time. But since then, given all the ridiculous contracts that teams of all walks of life have doled out (Royals give Gil Meche 11 mil per?!), Drew's decision to opt out and subsequent new contract fit right into the madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1
                            Yep, it has. The Jayson Blair scandal was a heavy and the intentional security leak killed them in the court of public opinion. Still, I'm sure their sports page is better than most.
                            Umm, to me that upped their reputation...they have the balls to report what ever they want and good for Judith Miller for not testifying and protecting the freedom of press. I would still take the NYT over any paper in America, may be the Post on their good day and the Times' worst day.
                            "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

Comment

That's true. I think the issue might be that the Red Sox made him some assurances while he was still under contract, which I guess is tampering. He would have had to opt out before the Sox could have engaged him.

At first when I heard that Drew opted out, I thought it was ludricous that he thought he could get more than 11 million per on the open market - so tampering would have made sense at that time. But since then, given all the ridiculous contracts that teams of all walks of life have doled out (Royals give Gil Meche 11 mil per?!), Drew's decision to opt out and subsequent new contract fit right into the madness.

Yeah I think that's it too, I mean your not allowed to talk to him BEFORE he opts out...which is what the Sox are suspected of doing. I mean really why else would he opt out, he HAS to know that there aren't that many suiters for a player of his ilk. The BoSox were the only one and that was the problem that most people had.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X