X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Zim (For all Don Zimmer haters)

Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgggQw0KV5w
    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Sometimes I wonder if people realize that Zimmer has spent a ton of time with teams other than the Yankees, including five seasons as the Red Sox manager.

Comment

Of course we Sox fans know Zimmer was Boston's manager for five years, but he is one of those guys we just hate.
      "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

I don't know why, I never really hated or disliked Zimmer. :noidea Any other Sox fans feel this way?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kyle-
          I don't know why, I never really hated or disliked Zimmer. :noidea Any other Sox fans feel this way?
          Same here, I never disliked him... just disliked that Pedro caught all that junk for defending himself against him. (I know that blame wasn't Zim's fault though, he handled himself well after it)

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
            Sometimes I wonder if people realize that Zimmer has spent a ton of time with teams other than the Yankees, including five seasons as the Red Sox manager.
            And one of the worst ones they ever had. I hold him responsible for 1978.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard
              He wasn't the guy that threw that pathetic hanging curve to Dent, blame Torrez.

Comment

Two words: Stan Papi.

I've never really hated the guy, I just dislike him for the Spaceman trade and for the Pedro incident. Anyone ever seen the SNL skit about Don Zimmer's sport show? It's hillarious. I couldn't find a video of it, but here's the transcript. if anyone has a link to a video of it, please post it.
                Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 12-10-2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                  Well, Torrez wasn't the guy who got rid of Bernie Carbo, DH'd a .191-batting Bob Bailey in 34 games, and played the Butcher at 3rd to field .899 all season, to go with his .312 OBP.
                  The ball once struck off,
                  Away flies the boy
                  To the next destin'd post,
                  And then home with joy.
                  --Anonymous, 1744

Comment

Originally posted by Sliding Billy
                    Well, Torrez wasn't the guy who got rid of Bernie Carbo, DH'd a .191-batting Bob Bailey in 34 games, and played the Butcher at 3rd to field .899 all season, to go with his .312 OBP.
                    And still the sox finished 3 games above their pyth. record.

Fact of the matter is that a manager doesnt have anywhere NEAR the impact that the players do. I dont attribute a win to the manager and 99% of the time I wont attribute a loss to a manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard
                      Same here. I've felt for years that the REAL Reason the Yankees hired him was to THANK him for tanking the 14 + game lead in '78. Remember...Bobby Sprowl "has ice water in his veins." He'd rather blow it than pitch Bill Lee...

This is a true story. My Red Sox road jersey says LEE 37 on the back. In 2005 I wore it to the Devil Rays "Fan Fest." I was waiting in line to get a photo signed by Hideo Nomo (pic taken the night he no-hit the O's). Zimmer is at the same table. As I get Nomo to sign my photo, Zimmer looks at me in the jersey and cap. At this point, he can only see the front that says "BOSTON." I move on and leave (didn't talk to Zimmer or get anything signed by him). The only way to leave is that I have to walk away from the table with my back facing him. As I walk away, I glance over my shoulder. The look on The Gerbil's face was priceless...
                      sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

To be fair to Hobson, he did play hurt in '78. Getting rid of Carbo was sheer stupidity. Can't help but wonder what Carbo was thinking as he turned on his TV and saw Bailey come up and watch three pitches sail by for called strikes.

Should we follow the lead of Eddie Andelman and refer to The Gerbil by his code name of "Chiang Kai-Shek"?

"I know nothing about it, it's never been discussed here and right today that statement you made is all news to me, I know nothing about it" BONGGGGGGGGG!
                        sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

There was even more stuff he did if I recall. What bothered me was the Sox had perhaps the most talent in baseball but they slowly traded it away or gave it away.
                          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                            You can't narrow it all down to one game and put all of the burden on Torrez.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                              You can't narrow it all down to one game and put all of the burden on Torrez.
                              I thought he was talking about only that one game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X