X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Solair Wright
    Ha, Everett flipped out and he probably got ejected. If he wants to act like a redheaded step child, he got what he deserved.
    Ejected and suspended AND fined. He put on quite a display of fireworks.

Leave a comment:

• Solair Wright
    replied
    Originally posted by VTSoxFan
    Oh sure, he'd hit over .500 for four or five weeks, then go stone cold for six. After Manny broke his finger in '02 and Daubach hit clean-up for a while, people were saying "Manny who?" Dauber (or Daubey, or as Trot once called him, "Toolbox") drove in all the runs in Nomo's no-hitter with two homers, too. I also remember one game where he hit a pitch that had hit the ground in front of the plate and bounced up -- he hit it for an RBI double. What a hoot!

Yeah, the weekend that Everett went ballistic was a good one for Dauber. I remember the date clearly because 1) I'm a dork, and 2) it was Bastille Day weekend, when I started the job I currently hold, and, of course, 3) it was a good weekend for baseball.
    Ha, Everett flipped out and he probably got ejected. If he wants to act like a redheaded step child, he got what he deserved.

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Originally posted by hellborn
    Yes, same series!! I think that the Mets were complaining about Carl being out of the batter's box to get back at the Bosox for squawking about Cook messing with the ball. That series was great fun to watch!!
    I'll have to look up the games to be sure...I thought that the Bosox lost the Cook game on a Piazza HR, but my memory has been refuted many times in these pages. My mind would probably make an excellent spaghetti strainer! It does sound right to me that Daubey (Dauber?) had a number of big hits in that series.
    I liked Brian a lot, too, even though, like Hellborn, he could be totally lost at the plate for games on end. They both proved they could bang out some super clutch hits, though.
    Oh sure, he'd hit over .500 for four or five weeks, then go stone cold for six. After Manny broke his finger in '02 and Daubach hit clean-up for a while, people were saying "Manny who?" Dauber (or Daubey, or as Trot once called him, "Toolbox") drove in all the runs in Nomo's no-hitter with two homers, too. I also remember one game where he hit a pitch that had hit the ground in front of the plate and bounced up -- he hit it for an RBI double. What a hoot!

Yeah, the weekend that Everett went ballistic was a good one for Dauber. I remember the date clearly because 1) I'm a dork, and 2) it was Bastille Day weekend, when I started the job I currently hold, and, of course, 3) it was a good weekend for baseball.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    No, no Smead Jolley...

Was that Dauber hit you remember in the same series where Carl Everett went bananas at the umpire (July 13-15, 2000)? In that series, Dauber hit a walk-off double off Benitez, I believe, on the Friday night, with 2 on, 2 out, 2 strikes, bottom of the 9th, and then hit a go-ahead homer the next day when he had to sub for Everett after he'd been ejected.

Yeah, I'm a Dauber fan...
    Yes, same series!! I think that the Mets were complaining about Carl being out of the batter's box to get back at the Bosox for squawking about Cook messing with the ball. That series was great fun to watch!!
    I'll have to look up the games to be sure...I thought that the Bosox lost the Cook game on a Piazza HR, but my memory has been refuted many times in these pages. My mind would probably make an excellent spaghetti strainer! It does sound right to me that Daubey (Dauber?) had a number of big hits in that series.
    I liked Brian a lot, too, even though, like Hellborn, he could be totally lost at the plate for games on end. They both proved they could bang out some super clutch hits, though.

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Wow...I'm really impressed that you own a Daubach shirt. That's reaching a rarefied level of Bosox fandom that deserves a round of applause!

My favorite Daubach moment was in a game against the Mets when Dennis Cook was doing his shiatsu rubdown on the ball and Brian pointed with his bat and yelled, "WHAT THE FUDGE IS HE DOING TO THE BALL?!?!?!?" Cook went nuts, and I rolled on the floor.
    Dauby even got a clutch RBI hit in that at bat, but Piazza ruined it with a HR in the next inning.

Now, if you tell me that you already own a Smead Jolley shirt, I'm going to faint.
    No, no Smead Jolley...

Was that Dauber hit you remember in the same series where Carl Everett went bananas at the umpire (July 13-15, 2000)? In that series, Dauber hit a walk-off double off Benitez, I believe, on the Friday night, with 2 on, 2 out, 2 strikes, bottom of the 9th, and then hit a go-ahead homer the next day when he had to sub for Everett after he'd been ejected.

Yeah, I'm a Dauber fan...

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by EvanAparra
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6118

Brian Michael Daubach (born February 11, 1972 in Belleville, Illinois) is a minor league first baseman for the Memphis Redbirds, the AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.
    Thanks for looking that up...I knew that he was excited to sign with the ChiSox as a native Illinoisan, but he was probably also a Cards fan as a Southern Illinoisan. It really surprised me to find that the Cubbies were hated by most baseball fans from Southern IL, just like with people from the South Side of Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• EvanAparra
    replied
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6118

Brian Michael Daubach (born February 11, 1972 in Belleville, Illinois) is a minor league first baseman for the Memphis Redbirds, the AAA affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.

He hit .279/.387/.487 with 11 bombs this past year.. not too shabby!
    Last edited by EvanAparra; 01-04-2007, 10:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied

I was watching a Sox game with my then girlfriend as Brian came to the plate. She said "he looks stupid." I said, "So what, he probably is, but he's a Red Sock" He then hit one of the most monstrous home runs i've ever seen off the coke bottle.
    Dauby was such a funny player...he'd be in a long, horrid slump in which he'd look so bad you'd think that it was his first experience playing baseball, but, just about when you were about to totally give up on him, he'd bang out two clutch HRs in three games and he was a hero again.
    He DID look kind of, er, simian to me...wide-eyed, slack-jawed stare, Torre-esque permanent 5 o'clock shadow. But, he came across as a decent guy when he was interviewed. I know he was with the ChiSox after his Bosox years, I would assume that he's totally out of baseball now.

Leave a comment:

• EvanAparra
    replied
    My favorite Daubach moment was in a game against the Mets when Dennis Cook was doing his shiatsu rubdown on the ball and Brian pointed with his bat and yelled, "WHAT THE FUDGE IS HE DOING TO THE BALL?!?!?!?" Cook went nuts, and I rolled on the floor.
    Dauby even got a clutch RBI hit in that at bat, but Piazza ruined it with a HR in the next inning.

I was watching a Sox game with my then girlfriend as Brian came to the plate. She said "he looks stupid." I said, "So what, he probably is, but he's a Red Sock" He then hit one of the most monstrous home runs i've ever seen off the coke bottle.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyK
    The "World According To Buckner" where third outs never happen, and Yogi repeats, "It isn't over until it's over" after every pitch.
    Dude, that's 2nd millenium stuff. Now that we're in the 3rd millenium, the Bosox will get the 3rd outs they need.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    I have a Daubach shirt -- it's one of the old diamond-logo "100th Anniversary" shirts, which my sister took to a mall kiosk and had "Daubach - 23" ironed onto it, for my Spring Training present that year. That's one of my faves. too.
    Wow...I'm really impressed that you own a Daubach shirt. That's reaching a rarefied level of Bosox fandom that deserves a round of applause!

Now, if you tell me that you already own a Smead Jolley shirt, I'm going to faint.

Leave a comment:

• TonyK
    replied
    Hey, what alternate universe are you posting from?
    The "World According To Buckner" where third outs never happen, and Yogi repeats, "It isn't over until it's over" after every pitch.

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    I have a Daubach shirt -- it's one of the old diamond-logo "100th Anniversary" shirts, which my sister took to a mall kiosk and had "Daubach - 23" ironed onto it, for my Spring Training present that year. That's one of my faves. too.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    "Who died and made you Mark Bellhorn?"
    I'd bet that those shirts even made Hellborn himself give a rare smile...those were funny. Not quite as funny and weird as those "Daubach is My Daddy" shirts that were all the rage before the Hellborn era, though.
    "Looks Like Jesus, Acts Like Judas, Throws Like Mary" is my alltime favorite.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Too true, h. I suppose Yawkey Way store will have them for 5 dollars soon enough... Tis how I got my last Nomar shirt.
    I bought my Hellborns and Foulke at Modell's for $5 each...I am a cheap old thing. Also bought two Pedro shirts for friends in Italy (long story) at that same great price.
    Did pay serious bucks for the Guapo across from Fenway, and my daughter's various Ortiz shirts and bobblehead have cost me a few $$$. I bought her first Papi shirt on the street after witnessing his game-winning HR in the '04 ALDS Game 3...
    I tried to get a local printer to make me Foxx and (Smead) Jolley shirts, but they wanted an order of at least 10 of each. I wanted to show up all those folks at Fenway who thought they were so cool in their Yaz and Williams tees...

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X