Clemens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clemens

I want to hear some opinions from Red Sox fans...

If Andy Pettite went to the Yankees, and Clemens probably won't retire, do you think that if Red Sox can't get Matsuzaka Roger Clemens will go to the RedSox?

I think he will, but if Red Sox get Matsuzaka I don't see much of a point.

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but that's never stopped me from giving my two cents anyway.

I think if the Sox fail to sign Matsuzaka, they will go hard after Clemens for two reasons:

1) They'll have a lot of money freed up, and

2) They'll look bad by not signing Matsuzaka and will have to do something big to make up for it.

Comment

Clemens to the Red Sox?

I've heard that Rogers Clemens was intrigued with the idea of finishing his career with the Sox. And I really hope he does.

But personally I think if he decides to play again, it will be with the Astros or Rangers, to allow him to be close to his family. I don't think it's about money with the Rocket at this stage in his career, and I believe he enjoyed the liberty playing with Houston, who I'm told allowed him the option of attending home at games if he chose, when he wasn't playing.

I don't know how sentimental Roger Clemens is about finishing his career where he started, but the Rocket is a competitor and it's possible that he might just want to play for another world series title. Signing on to play for the Sox can give him that opportunity. Unfortunately the Yankees can offer him that opportunity as well. So I'm hoping he is sentimental towards the Sox.

I doubt Matsuzaka signing with the Sox will make a difference to the Rocket. But, I think if decides to play this year, it will most likely be in Texas.

Comment

Matsuzaka

Doublex brings up a good point.

I agree, if they don't sign Matsuzaka, it will be an embaressment. And yes I think they will go after Clemens with all they can offer.

But I hope the Sox management and owners will attempt to sign the Rocket whether they sign Matsuzaka or not.

Comment

If Clemens craps on us again by going THERE, I say this:

Give Beckett #21 and then give #19 to Lowell, the numbers they wore in Florida.

THIS Texan also wore #21 for the Sox and HE never bitched or moaned to the press.
          Attached Files
          sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdaze
            I've heard that Rogers Clemens was intrigued with the idea of finishing his career with the Sox. And I really hope he does.

But personally I think if he decides to play again, it will be with the Astros or Rangers, to allow him to be close to his family. I don't think it's about money with the Rocket at this stage in his career, and I believe he enjoyed the liberty playing with Houston, who I'm told allowed him the option of attending home at games if he chose, when he wasn't playing.

I don't know how sentimental Roger Clemens is about finishing his career where he started, but the Rocket is a competitor and it's possible that he might just want to play for another world series title. Signing on to play for the Sox can give him that opportunity. Unfortunately the Yankees can offer him that opportunity as well. So I'm hoping he is sentimental towards the Sox.

I doubt Matsuzaka signing with the Sox will make a difference to the Rocket. But, I think if decides to play this year, it will most likely be in Texas.
            I agree that if Clemens does come back, it will likely be for a team in Texas, and most likely the Astros. This provides the greatest convenience for him and really allows him to play ball on his terms - which are to make a lot of money, sit out half the season, play near home, and not go on all roadtrips. It's about as ideal as it can get for a big leaguer. I think Houston is the more likely destination because he has a history there. Though the Rangers play closer to his home and he might prefer not having to bat, though that didn't stop him last year, so why would it now.

Nevertheless, the Red Sox pursued him pretty aggressively last year, and I think if they don't get Matsuzaka, they'll go hard after Clemens in order to make people forget about the Matsuzaka mess.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
              I'm not a Red Sox fan, but that's never stopped me from giving my two cents anyway.

I think if the Sox fail to sign Matsuzaka, they will go hard after Clemens for two reasons:

1) They'll have a lot of money freed up, and

2) They'll look bad by not signing Matsuzaka and will have to do something big to make up for it.
              I don't see how this can be. They've already paid $51M just to talk to the guy. I think the burden falls on DMat and his crappy agent. Imagine how they'll look if Seibu has to give up all that $$ and he has to play with them at 1/3 or 1/4 of the salary he'd be making in MLB. If the Red Sox offer him a reasonable contract, it's not on them.

FWIW, I think Clemens will end up with the Yanks, if not with Texas or Houston.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                I don't see how this can be. They've already paid $51M just to talk to the guy. I think the burden falls on DMat and his crappy agent. Imagine how they'll look if Seibu has to give up all that $$ and he has to play with them at 1/3 or 1/4 of the salary he'd be making in MLB. If the Red Sox offer him a reasonable contract, it's not on them.

FWIW, I think Clemens will end up with the Yanks, if not with Texas or Houston.
                If the deal doesn't get done and the Sox reported offer of 7 to 9 million a year was on the table, the Sox FO would take a hit, but Boras and Matsuzaka would take a hit at the same time. Neither side will come out of the situation well if Matsuzaka doesn't sign with Boston.

From my point of view, people believe only one side will look bad while the other side won't, because they're not at fault. Each side will look bad if this deal doesn't get done. Boras' failure to work a deal out. Boston's failure to sign Matsuzaka and would look worse if they continue the low offer of 7-9 million a year, if you're thinking logically, he should be in 10-12 million range. Matsuzaka's failure to sign and Seibu losing all their money they got in the bid.

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                  They've already paid $51M just to talk to the guy. I think the burden falls on DMat and his crappy agent.
                  If the talks fall through the Red Sox are off the hook. The $51.1M only gets paid if Matsuzaka and the Red Sox reach a deal.

I just can't imagine Clemens returning to Boston. Maybe enough water has passed under the bridge for it to happen, but the drive from Houston to Boston goes right by the Bronx.
                  Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

THey signed Matsuzaka now so it's diown to the Yankees and Astros unless someone suffers a season ending injury
                    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

Originally posted by Rickey_Henderson
                      THey signed Matsuzaka now so it's diown to the Yankees and Astros unless someone suffers a season ending injury
                      New York got a full rotation, it's down to Houston. Until the Yankees free up room in their rotation, I don't see Pavano and Igawa going to bullpen. They have to deal Pavano first. I doubt they just won't sign Igawa under the assumption they're in the Clemens running. Again, I just don't see him being a bullpen pitcher. You don't pay 27 million to speak with a bullpen pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                        New York got a full rotation, it's down to Houston. Until the Yankees free up room in their rotation, I don't see Pavano and Igawa going to bullpen. They have to deal Pavano first. I doubt they just won't sign Igawa under the assumption they're in the Clemens running. Again, I just don't see him being a bullpen pitcher. You don't pay 27 million to speak with a bullpen pitcher.
                        Pavano would start in the bullpen. I dont see him after his injury stories to go straight back into the rotation.

But Clemens will not sign with the Yankees. It'll be the Red Sox or the Astros.
                        If someone gets hurt in the Red Sox rotation then he'll go there, otherwise it'll be the theater first and then again to the Astros.
                        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

I'd still like the Red Sox to sign Roger Clemens.

Maybe trade Wakefield to open a spot in the rotation.

Comment

The Sox are still the favorite in my opinion to sign Clemens.
                            Matsuzaka's beautiful deal allows for it to happen, I think.
                            It would demonstrate the benefit of the posting bid not counting as payroll.

Schilling
                            Clemens
                            Matsuzaka
                            Beckett
                            Papelbon

That could be the nastiest rotation I've ever seen.
                            And with Lester or Wakefield as options if the Sox want a 6 man rotation.
                            (Which would merely ensure the effectiveness of Schill, Roger, and DiceK)

Comment

I figure the Sox payroll is already in the 140-150 million range and that's without their roster being completely filled. Signing Clemens, depending on the length of the the deal, could take anywhere from 12-25 million. Can the Sox absorb that much more payroll?

I think because of all the close to home advantages Houston presents for Clemens, in he can pitch on his terms, Houston remains the favorite.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X