No announcement yet.

Clemens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't think the Yanks will offer him more money?
    "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
      You don't think the Yanks will offer him more money?
      Probably. I just dont think it's out of the question since the Sox seem to be giving out money like its going out of fashion this offseason.

Comment

Clemens still undecided

According to this article Clemens says he's nowhere close to making a decisioin on if he'll play this year! I'm still hoping that he decides to pitch for the Sox...

http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/...s_still_p.html

Comment

Blah, Blah, Blah. I don't believe for a second that he will retire. I don't think there's any way. He will pitch, and realistically I think it's down to the Astros, Sox or Yanks. I think he would really like to get the Sox individual achievements, but also would like to go back to the Yanks because of all his friends and their chance to win. His main problem with the Astros last year was that they didn't score any runs, and now with them signing Lee, that should help, and Loretta is a great player to have coming off the bench. Personally I think that choosing between Boston or the Yanks will prove too hard for him, since whichever he choses the other will hate him forever, so ultimately I think he will go back to the Astros.

Comment

After thinking about it and speaking about it a little in the Yankee forum, I dont really want Roger in Boston. Hes going to command a heck of a lot of money (which I dont really mind, it's not my money, but it would just be ridiculous), he's going to start the season late, and while getting ace money he wont be giving us ace production. His ERA probably wont be as good, and he will be pitching into the 6th inning MAX. Thats absolutely 4th or 5th starter material. The Sox dont have the bullpen to back up an 'ace' like Clemens. Beckett, Schilling, and Matsuzaka should all be able to go late in games, and its absolutely necessary to AT LEAST go 6 if you are going to be the ace pitcher for the Boston Red Sox.

Comment

Not to mention he'll raise the luxury tax for which ever team he sign with, excluding Houston.

I like to have Clemens finish his career with Boston, but what he'll be asking and what he'll be offering is not worth it his asking price. Evan would be right, though I had the view along, he'll be 5-6 inning pitcher likely to have a ERA around 4-4.5, have an ace type contract, pitch half a season and receive special treatment, like not being with the team on the other four days he won't pitch. That's just not worth it, even for Roger Clemens.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                After thinking about it and speaking about it a little in the Yankee forum, I dont really want Roger in Boston. Hes going to command a heck of a lot of money (which I dont really mind, it's not my money, but it would just be ridiculous), he's going to start the season late, and while getting ace money he wont be giving us ace production. His ERA probably wont be as good, and he will be pitching into the 6th inning MAX. Thats absolutely 4th or 5th starter material. The Sox dont have the bullpen to back up an 'ace' like Clemens. Beckett, Schilling, and Matsuzaka should all be able to go late in games, and its absolutely necessary to AT LEAST go 6 if you are going to be the ace pitcher for the Boston Red Sox.

I agree. I don't want him in Boston anymore either, for all the reasons you describe. Add to that, too, that the only way Roger's coming to Boston is if we stop caring about it.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Still hoping he pitches for Boston

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                  You do make some good points, but I'm still hoping he comes full circle and plays for the Sox. Maybe I'm being too sentimental about the Rocket, but I really think he'll be effective enough to help the Sox.

Yes he'll probably pitch between 5 to 7 inninings on average per start, and yes his era will go up playing in the A.L. In fact, theres an article that points this out, see below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/sp...2da&ei=5087%0A

But in Boston, with the current starters we have, assuming they keep all of them, he will pitch every sixth game, which I think will help, giving him more rest and possibly allowing him to pitch more innings. We have a good offense with a lot of potential for good run support, so if he pitches into the 7th inning with a good 3 run or more lead, I think our pen can handle that.

Plus, I believe once they sign Drew, Theo will be looking to make a trade for a proven closer. I'm guessing Crisp plus a prospect. Making our Pen stronger and more reliable. And if this happens, then 6 strong innings from Clemens with a decent lead won't be bad leaving it to the pen to finish the game IMO.
                  Last edited by Dogdaze; 01-14-2007, 10:20 AM.

Comment

John Henry planning on making an offer to the Rocket

According the Boston Herald, Sox owner John Henry is planning on making an offer to Roger Clemens. Hopefully he accepts and plays for the Sox.

Here is a link to the article.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=177222

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X