Need help making all-time team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingNothing13
    I would put Wood in the rotation before Tiant. Maybe make Tiant the 5th starter after Wood.

But thats just me.

Regardless, it would be fun to watch!
    Good call. I think I would do that, must have forgotten about Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
      I think they would fight a lot!
      Heh, that would be very interesting in its own right.

Comment

Young, Tiant, and Wood would baffle those Yankee batters. Odd as it is, I'd say that all-time Red Sox team has better pitching than the Yankees one does, considering Boston is famous for favoring hitters.

Anyway, Where's Jim Rice on all these all-time lists? I certainly hope we're not catching the same disease that the Hall Of Fame voters seem to have caught.

Comment

Originally posted by king_ghidora
          Young, Tiant, and Wood would baffle those Yankee batters. Odd as it is, I'd say that all-time Red Sox team has better pitching than the Yankees one does, considering Boston is famous for favoring hitters.

Anyway, Where's Jim Rice on all these all-time lists? I certainly hope we're not catching the same disease that the Hall Of Fame voters seem to have caught.
          I think I'd agree with Boston's pitching strengths, but it would still be hard to plow through DiMaggio/Ruth/Gehrig/Mantle. It would be very intersting to say the least.

As for Rice. I left him off my list because I only dealt with starting lineups, though Rice would surely make my bench. But here's why he's not a starter:

Rice is a LFer, same as Williams and Yastrzemski (and Ramirez if active players are considered). Strictly on LFers, I have Rice miles behind all three. Yastrzemski gets the nod because he is by far the best fielder of this group. Williams, however, is arguably the greatest hitter ever, so he seems best suited for DH, since like Rice, I think I could find better fielding options in CF and RF.

So could I move Rice to CF or RF? Well definitely not CF since his fielding was below average. Fred Lynn had some great seasons for Boston and was a Gold Glover, he gets the nod here over Dom DiMaggio.

As for RF, I went with the better defender again, Dwight Evans. Rice was a much better hitter at peak, but Evans may have been a better all-around player. If Ramirez is considered, then I move Ramirez to RF (since he played over 900 games for the Indians in RF) and Evans goes to the bench as well.

So basically, since Rice is not as good as Williams and Yastrzmeski, and does not field well enough to displace Lynn and Evans (or Ramirez) in CF or RF, Rice goes to the bench.

Comment

This is my roster now. Post some more suggestions. There were so many different conversations in here I might have missed some good ones but anyway.

Pos Boston
            C Carlton Fisk
            C
            1B Mo Vaughn
            2B Bobby Doerr
            3B Wade Boggs
            SS Joe Cronin
            LF Ted Williams
            CF Freddie Lynn
            RF Dwight Evans
            IF Johnny Pesky
            IF Jimmy Collins
            OF Dom DiMaggio
            OF Carl Yastrzemski
            OF Jim Rice
            Util Harry Hooper
            Util
            SP Luis Tiant
            SP Cy Young
            SP Bruce Hurst
            SP Bill Lee
            SP Joe Wood
            SP
            RP Bob Stanley
            CL Dick Radatz
            P

Comment

Originally posted by RamMan12
              This is my roster now. Post some more suggestions. There were so many different conversations in here I might have missed some good ones but anyway.

Pos Boston
              C Carlton Fisk
              C
              1B Mo Vaughn
              2B Bobby Doerr
              3B Wade Boggs
              SS Joe Cronin
              LF Ted Williams
              CF Freddie Lynn
              RF Dwight Evans
              IF Johnny Pesky
              IF Jimmy Collins
              OF Dom DiMaggio
              OF Carl Yastrzemski
              OF Jim Rice
              Util Harry Hooper
              Util
              SP Luis Tiant
              SP Cy Young
              SP Bruce Hurst
              SP Bill Lee
              SP Joe Wood
              SP
              RP Bob Stanley
              CL Dick Radatz
              P

Roger Clemens should qualify for the team. Ellis Kinder should be in the bullpen. Not bad though.

Comment

--Wally Schang as your other catcher?

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
                  --Wally Schang as your other catcher?
                  I know I don't speak for everyone, but I think of Schang as first and foremost an Athletic, than as a Yankee, than as a Brown, before I associate him with the Red Sox.

Comment

--I suppose you could make a case for any of those teams. I put him on the Red Sox, because the others (less the Browns, who I really don't have a team for) don't need him. Plus I put Fisk on the White Sox. Schang did have more seasons for the Browns than the Sox, but didn't join them until he was 36 and never got 300 ABs in any of his seasons there. He split time 2 years and then stuck around as a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
                      --I suppose you could make a case for any of those teams. I put him on the Red Sox, because the others (less the Browns, who I really don't have a team for) don't need him. Plus I put Fisk on the White Sox. Schang did have more seasons for the Browns than the Sox, but didn't join them until he was 36 and never got 300 ABs in any of his seasons there. He split time 2 years and then stuck around as a backup.
                      That's a good point - other teams already have their positions filled.

I also agree with you about Fisk. I actually think of him as a Red Sock, but put him on the White Sox when I make my all-time teams because he played more seasons, had more ABs with the White Sox, and had some big seasons in the 80s on the White Sox. The only thing he didn't have was a Game 6 homerun. Anyway, after living in Boston for several years, I think it would be a very tough sell trying to convince Red Sox nation that Pudge Fisk is a White Sock and not a Red Sock.

Comment

Does anybody think that Troy O'Leary would make the all-time team in the last spot at Util.? After this input, I'm gonna finish the rosters without any more help. You can find the final roster for the Red Sox and the other 15 teams in my thread in Fantasy Baseball and Gaming.

Comment

These are my guys...each in the position they played.

1b - Jimmie Foxx
                          2b - Bobby Doer
                          ss - Nomar Garciaparra
                          3b - Jimmy Collins
                          C - Carlton Fisk
                          LF - Ted Williams
                          CF - Tris Speaker
                          RF - Dwight Evans
                          SP - Roger Clemens
                          SP - Pedro Martinez
                          SP - Lefty Grove
                          SP - Cy Young
                          RP - Ellis Kinder
                          RP - Dick Radatz
                          RP - Bob Stanley
                          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                          Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X