Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RedSox.com poll: What do you think about Boston's chances in 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what weird options...translation:

1. One of the 2 best teams in baseball, lock for the playoffs
    2. We're decent, around 90 wins (the least weird of all options)
    3. We've gotten worse
    4. It'll be tough. Whatever "it" is, it'll be tough.

lol...i'd have to say a mix of 1/2/4. A lot of question marks means alot of unpredictability means a huge range of outcomes, but if hansen and timlin and piniero all play like they can, we'll have a shot at the best record in baseball. If they all continue their seemingly sharp decline, i'd say we're barely better than we were this year.

I think it'll be a rollercoaster season, but i ber we'll make the playoffs, and we have a particularly good playoff team (aside from the lack of a closer).

i'm giving my vote to number 2, though.
    Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
      I'm concern with the bullpen and offense.

The rotation does not look bad. I'm hoping Beckett can have at least a solid season. Dice-K, too. Papelbon come out strong and reliable pitcher. Schilling to be Schilling. Wakefield to be Wakefield. The rotation, even if it does not live up to it's full expectation, would likely be successful.

I say we'll contend, but we got two teams in our division that will be a problem. O's are not an awful club either. They're a decent club. I do not expect we'll destroy in 2007 like we did in 2006. Can't depend on the O's and NL making up a good amount of the Sox's total wins.
      i'll continue my screaming of "red sox fans are spoiled on offense." the bullpen is nothing better than a mess, given, but this team will score about 30-40 fewer runs than the yankees. yes that's a very significant gap, but this is a very, very good offense. we were 9th in the majors with runs scored this year, and that was with serious injuries, plus we've done nothing but improve. i guess it wouldn't be unreasonable to argue pedroia will be a step down from loretta, but i'd disagree. and aside from that, we had fluke bad years here and there, papi will be worse, we had tons of injuries, which all in all means we are clearly gonna score more runs.

and a top 10 offense is plenty good enough, in my book.

as for the bullpen....i'll just let it rest at "it's a complete and utter mess"
      Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

Originally posted by PhilWings24
        i'll continue my screaming of "red sox fans are spoiled on offense." the bullpen is nothing better than a mess, given, but this team will score about 30-40 fewer runs than the yankees. yes that's a very significant gap, but this is a very, very good offense. we were 9th in the majors with runs scored this year, and that was with serious injuries, plus we've done nothing but improve. i guess it wouldn't be unreasonable to argue pedroia will be a step down from loretta, but i'd disagree. and aside from that, we had fluke bad years here and there, papi will be worse, we had tons of injuries, which all in all means we are clearly gonna score more runs.

and a top 10 offense is plenty good enough, in my book.

as for the bullpen....i'll just let it rest at "it's a complete and utter mess"
        How am I spoiled? We're in division with a offense like New York and Toronto. Try not to group me in the future. I have concern with our lineup revolving around Manny and Ortiz once again.

Lead-off hitter? Crisp or Lugo. Crisp young and potential, but potential just potential. I'm too high on Lugo either, especially after the fall he had after moving from AL to NL. Youkillis should be a good number two hitter and better equipment for the next season. Manny and Ortiz, yes, one of the best combination in baseball, but if they're not protected, why face them? Pena or Drew for the 5th hole? Drew, when on the field, should be good, but he never seem to give it all he's got. Pena show me he's got talent, but people don't fear the kid just yet and he's developing. Lowell got a hot start, then sinked in 260.-250. hitter. V-tek looked terrible with the bat last season and he's never been that greatest offensive force. Pedrioa a rookie and didn't impress last season. Not saying he won't, but to assume he'll be a 280. hitter and a solid addition based on what? A terrible performance in 2006?

What serious injury issues? Manny and Ortiz were there for the good portion of the year and they make a good portion of the offensive total. Youkillis was the next reliable offensive force, then you got what? Nixon? Loretta? Crisp? Lowell? V-tek? V-tek and Crisp missed a lot of the season, but I give Crisp a pass since he returned with a broken finger and continue to play, but V-tek? He's never been that good as a offensive force.

Pedrioa not being a step down from Loretta. Like everyone assuming he'll be solid next season based on what exactly? I'm not assuming he'll be good or terrible, but based on his brief playing time last season, what you're expecting? A solid performance based on your own personal view of watching the player?

Comment

How am I spoiled? We're in division with a offense like New York and Toronto. Try not to group me in the future..
          I didn't make that clear, for some reason i was assuming you've heard me go on this rant before. It's you particularly, it's all over red sox nation, that we have an average-decent lineup. That i find ridiculous, seeing as we were 9th last year (in runs scored), were plagued by injuries, and our offense will be much better next year. I think its sprung from the fact that 2003-2005 was one of the greatest offensive dynasties of all time, and we aren't on that level anymore. But you don't need to lead the league in scoring to win a championship, or even a division. even this division.

I have concern with our lineup revolving around Manny and Ortiz once again.
          Any offense with manny and ortiz is gonna be centered around manny and ortiz. Having 2 monsters isn't a bad thing, in my book, unless you take the Giants-With-Bonds approach and decide that means you can sign 8 other players at random and expect to win.

Lead-off hitter? Crisp or Lugo. Crisp young and potential, but potential just potential. I'm too high on Lugo either, especially after the fall he had after moving from AL to NL.
          Crisp has had 2 great years in the majors, and had serious injury problems this year. He's a big question mark to most people (although he's not much of one to me), but it's a bit harsh to say he hasn't proven a thing.

With lugo, if you mean just because it was a late season dropoff from a player on thedecline, i'm with you, but he had some of his best years in the nl. I don't think he's gonna be a star, and giving him 4 years was an eyebrow raiser in my book. But he should have no problem being 270/350/420 ish, which is fine for a shortstop.

Youkillis should be a good number two hitter and better equipment for the next season. Manny and Ortiz, yes, one of the best combination in baseball, but if they're not protected, why face them?.
          Another one of my favorite rants: you face them because runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs is a crappy position, no matter who is coming up. Who protected them this year? Lowell? And they both had 1 of their best years. Think of the last monster hitter you saw pitched around grossly. Did it keep him from being a monster? Ryan howard at the end of this season comes to mind, when he put up a line of like 270/470/580 to close the year. that might not be as exciting as 300/400/640, but it's probably the better player.

Pena or Drew for the 5th hole? Drew, when on the field, should be good, but he never seem to give it all he's got. Pena show me he's got talent, but people don't fear the kid just yet and he's developing. Lowell got a hot start, then sinked in 260.-250. hitter. V-tek looked terrible with the bat last season and he's never been that greatest offensive force. Pedrioa a rookie and didn't impress last season.
          I agree with all this, but my point still remains that the protection this year will be better than last, and they hardly had an off year.

Not saying he won't, but to assume he'll be a 280. hitter and a solid addition based on what? A terrible performance in 2006?
          How about 4 very impressive seasons in the minors before his stint in the majors? In each one of those seasons, he had a "translated" average better than 280, by Clay Davenport's translations. He did have one trashy and injury plagued season aside from those, but injuries explain his struggles almost entirely.

What serious injury issues? Manny and Ortiz were there for the good portion of the year and they make a good portion of the offensive total.
          What serious injury issues lol? Manny played the 2nd fewest games he's ever palyed as a red sox, 3rd fewest since becoming a starter. David ortiz missed several games due to freak "injuries." Nixon, varitek, alex gonzalez, crisp, wily mo all missed serious time. Lowell missed limited time, and francona was saying youkilis was incredibly banged up by year's end and was playing through it. Javy Lopez started several games for us. So did dustin mohr. I heard Remy say more than once that this might be the most banged up red sox team he personally has watched. Granted, most of that was to the pitching staff, but this lineup was absolutely banged up. We had a game where loretta batted cleanup. I mean...yeah, this was absolutely a banged up team.

Pedrioa not being a step down from Loretta. Like everyone assuming he'll be solid next season based on what exactly? I'm not assuming he'll be good or terrible, but based on his brief playing time last season, what you're expecting? A solid performance based on your own personal view of watching the player?
          Like i mentioned before, there is baseball life before the big leagues, and it is meaningful. Pedroia was incredible at A, outstanding at A+, very very good at AA, then horrible at AAA due largely to injuries, then very good at AAA this year. In light of all that, a dismal 89 at bats from a 22 year old player doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

The point of what i'm saying is: we scored the 9th most runs in the majors last year. Even if that team was perfectly healthy all season, this team is a significant improvement offensively. And it was plagued by injuries, meaning it is a VERY significant improvement. And with good enough pitching, being 9th in the majors in runs is plenty good enough to win a division by itself. And as i've detailed, there's no reason to think this team won't be better than that.
          Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

I really expect the Wild Card coming from the AL east. Tampas offense is very strong, Baltimores too, Torontos too. But they do not have the pitching we and the Yankees have. So this is the time when we should get this AL east pennant.

Of course we all know there will be injuries, even if last year we were beaten by them, and one could hope this year nobody should be injured on the Red Sox to make it even. But there will be injuries. Unfortunately.

I hope Drew is, if he signs, still motivated enough to play for us. I mean if someone isn't trusting in your body, this means not very much good things...

If he is, and the rotation is as good as we can expect it, we should win the AL east. The Yankees will have big problem because of their thin rotation.
            I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

I didn't make that clear, for some reason i was assuming you've heard me go on this rant before. It's you particularly, it's all over red sox nation, that we have an average-decent lineup. That i find ridiculous, seeing as we were 9th last year (in runs scored), were plagued by injuries, and our offense will be much better next year. I think its sprung from the fact that 2003-2005 was one of the greatest offensive dynasties of all time, and we aren't on that level anymore. But you don't need to lead the league in scoring to win a championship, or even a division. even this division.
              No, but I prefer not being group. I'll discuss why you disagree with my opinion, but don't group with a bunch of people, because of my view.

Once, plagued by what injuries? Please don't tell me it's V-tek and Crisp.

Our offense will be better? Why? Because of Pedrioa, Drew and Lugo? The only person I can see going to improve would be Youkillis since he's got a full season under him and he fade last year due to not experiencing a full season.

Lol, greatest offensive dynasties? You forget the era we're in? We do have one of the greatest duo of all time.

The last part would be the thing we can agree on. I have concern about our offense duo to what's around Manny and Ortiz.
              Any offense with manny and ortiz is gonna be centered around manny and ortiz. Having 2 monsters isn't a bad thing, in my book, unless you take the Giants-With-Bonds approach and decide that means you can sign 8 other players at random and expect to win.
              Yes, I don't recall saying our offense should revolve around them, but what's surrounding them concern me. I don't recall saying it's bad either. :noidea
              Crisp has had 2 great years in the majors, and had serious injury problems this year. He's a big question mark to most people (although he's not much of one to me), but it's a bit harsh to say he hasn't proven a thing.
              Once again, where did I say he had not prove himself? He's got potential to bounce back. It should happen, but I won't say it's going to happen. Again, he's still need to develop into a lead-off hitter.
              With lugo, if you mean just because it was a late season dropoff from a player on thedecline, i'm with you, but he had some of his best years in the nl. I don't think he's gonna be a star, and giving him 4 years was an eyebrow raiser in my book. But he should have no problem being 270/350/420 ish, which is fine for a shortstop.
              Agreed. Nothing wrong with that. Though, he might be our lead-off hitter, in that case, that's not that impressive.
              Another one of my favorite rants: you face them because runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs is a crappy position, no matter who is coming up. Who protected them this year? Lowell? And they both had 1 of their best years. Think of the last monster hitter you saw pitched around grossly. Did it keep him from being a monster? Ryan howard at the end of this season comes to mind, when he put up a line of like 270/470/580 to close the year. that might not be as exciting as 300/400/640, but it's probably the better player.
              Howard got protection. A better example would be Vlad or Bonds. They'll have the RBI and home total, but you want them being walked when the game on the lineup. Even in that situation you describe, you walk Ortiz to face a 250. Mike Lowell. Ortiz and Manny situation been discussed. Ortiz and Manny will have the numbers, when it's crunch time, they will avoid them, if possible.
              How about 4 very impressive seasons in the minors before his stint in the majors? In each one of those seasons, he had a "translated" average better than 280, by Clay Davenport's translations. He did have one trashy and injury plagued season aside from those, but injuries explain his struggles almost entirely.
              That was the minor leagues, not the major leagues, I'm not one to go insane about a impressive performance in minor leagues, unless they come up and show they have quite a lot of talent. I didn't see from Pedrioa and his numbers didn't reflect it either.
              What serious injury issues lol? Manny played the 2nd fewest games he's ever palyed as a red sox, 3rd fewest since becoming a starter. David ortiz missed several games due to freak "injuries." Nixon, varitek, alex gonzalez, crisp, wily mo all missed serious time. Lowell missed limited time, and francona was saying youkilis was incredibly banged up by year's end and was playing through it. Javy Lopez started several games for us. So did dustin mohr. I heard Remy say more than once that this might be the most banged up red sox team he personally has watched. Granted, most of that was to the pitching staff, but this lineup was absolutely banged up. We had a game where loretta batted cleanup. I mean...yeah, this was absolutely a banged up team.
              Ortiz missed a few games, nothing to call serious lost time.

Manny lost a lot of time, but that just reinforce my view that if how lineup revolved around Manny and Ortiz, will end up watching Ortiz walked a lot. Ortiz's numbers won't be hurt, especially if you solely read the numbers, but I remember plenty of times he was walked when we could have used him.

Alex Gonzalez and offense? You want to bring him up?

You want to count Nixon? He's always injuried, but he should reinforce the idea the team had serious injuries issues when the dude always injuried. Who didn't expect Nixon being injuried?

Ortiz and Manny went down for a short time, so Loretta was forced to clean-up. Of course, he was batting clean-up when it didn't matter too much. Not to mention the questionable Rameriz's injury. If we were in it, would he got his gear on and played? Speculation. The rotation was banged up. The lineup would be banged up if we lost both Manny and Ortiz for an awful amount of time. Manny "injury", quote for a rest was serious time missed. Ortiz missed a good week or two before returning to the club. If Ortiz was out earlier when it matter or Manny missed a lot earlier in the season, like the injury he suffered back in Seattle quite some time ago, then I be complain about injury plagued.

Counting every average to medicore offensive force, yeah, you got injury issues, but I'm not counting V-tek a huge lose, he's been over-rated badly offensively for many years, not to mention overall and I'm fan of his, but I don't like the blind bias he receive.

Yeah, banged up team, when it didn't matter too much. Injuries happen, so Crisp went down when it matter and shown signs of being a good hitter.
              Like i mentioned before, there is baseball life before the big leagues, and it is meaningful. Pedroia was incredible at A, outstanding at A+, very very good at AA, then horrible at AAA due largely to injuries, then very good at AAA this year. In light of all that, a dismal 89 at bats from a 22 year old player doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

The point of what i'm saying is: we scored the 9th most runs in the majors last year. Even if that team was perfectly healthy all season, this team is a significant improvement offensively. And it was plagued by injuries, meaning it is a VERY significant improvement. And with good enough pitching, being 9th in the majors in runs is plenty good enough to win a division by itself. And as i've detailed, there's no reason to think this team won't be better than that.
              I'm aware of that, when you vastly unimpressive like Pedroia was and he had reasonable time to play, then what? I'm expected him to revert to his AAA ball form and perform? Based on what? He's young? He had a good month to start without a problem. This differ from Youkillis, who got shuffled in and out, though he did impress while he had the time to play, lesser time than Pedrioa, so I expected him to be solid to good when he got a chance. Pedroia had a better deal than Youkillis and I just can't say he's going to be good next season? I see strides next season, then I can be in the camp of Pedroia's supporters, but at the moment, he just didn't impress when he got a good chance to do it.

My point, I'm not comfortable about our lineup being center around Ortiz and Rameriz. To say, I don't mind them being the most powerful force, but I don't like their protection around them. Crisp, Lugo, Pedrioa, Pena (Drew), V-tek, Lowell aren't the greatest protection around. I have full confidence in Youkillis being effective though and Drew being effective, if he's not injuried. I have to completely disagree we significant improvement, slighty would be better.

The pitching got significant improvement with depth and likely talent, too.

I got two reasons and that's New York and Toronto.

Comment

I'm tired of hearing about this stuff. You know what Manny's protection is? The fact that many time he comes up to the plate with a couple guys on base! If there isn't anywhere to put Manny, then they won't walk him. Sure Pena isn't proven enough, but at some point you have to give him a chance, and let him pound 30+ homers. Sure he'll strike out some, but lets face it, our offense is still very good. Most teams would kill for our offensive production. BTW Papi did pretty good without Manny in the lineup towards the end didn't he? Papi's still incredibly dangerous.

Comment

Once, plagued by what injuries? Please don't tell me it's V-tek and Crisp.
                  Dude, really? Where were you this season? They were DEFINATELY injury plagued.

Lester
                  Varitek
                  Crisp
                  Wakefield
                  Manny
                  Nixon
                  DiNardo
                  The list goes on....

Our offense will be better? Why? Because of Pedrioa, Drew and Lugo? The only person I can see going to improve would be Youkillis since he's got a full season under him and he fade last year due to not experiencing a full season.
                  Um, yes. Loretta was not good offensively this past season. Really, he wasn't. Drew is an upgrade over the platoon in RF, and Lugo is definately an offensive upgrade from Gonzalez.

Howard got protection. A better example would be Vlad or Bonds. They'll have the RBI and home total, but you want them being walked when the game on the lineup. Even in that situation you describe, you walk Ortiz to face a 250. Mike Lowell. Ortiz and Manny situation been discussed. Ortiz and Manny will have the numbers, when it's crunch time, they will avoid them, if possible.
                  Every great hitter gets avoided in crunch time when possible.

Manny lost a lot of time, but that just reinforce my view that if how lineup revolved around Manny and Ortiz, will end up watching Ortiz walked a lot. Ortiz's numbers won't be hurt, especially if you solely read the numbers, but I remember plenty of times he was walked when we could have used him.
                  Tell me what lineups DON'T revolve around the number 3 and 4 hitters...

Ortiz and Manny went down for a short time, so Loretta was forced to clean-up. Of course, he was batting clean-up when it didn't matter too much. Not to mention the questionable Rameriz's injury. If we were in it, would he got his gear on and played? Speculation. The rotation was banged up. The lineup would be banged up if we lost both Manny and Ortiz for an awful amount of time. Manny "injury", quote for a rest was serious time missed. Ortiz missed a good week or two before returning to the club. If Ortiz was out earlier when it matter or Manny missed a lot earlier in the season, like the injury he suffered back in Seattle quite some time ago, then I be complain about injury plagued.
                  Loretta never batted cleanup. Not once all season.

Counting every average to medicore offensive force, yeah, you got injury issues, but I'm not counting V-tek a huge lose, he's been over-rated badly offensively for many years, not to mention overall and I'm fan of his, but I don't like the blind bias he receive.
                  Overrated offensively for many years? His .296/.390/.483 line in 2004 didn't impress you? From a catcher? Even his .281/.366/.489 in '05 is very good for a catcher. I'd take Varitek from '04 to '05 over any other catcher in the AL.

Yeah, banged up team, when it didn't matter too much. Injuries happen, so Crisp went down when it matter and shown signs of being a good hitter.

My point, I'm not comfortable about our lineup being center around Ortiz and Rameriz. To say, I don't mind them being the most powerful force, but I don't like their protection around them. Crisp, Lugo, Pedrioa, Pena (Drew), V-tek, Lowell aren't the greatest protection around. I have full confidence in Youkillis being effective though and Drew being effective, if he's not injuried. I have to completely disagree we significant improvement, slighty would be better.
                  Ive already commented on how every lineup revolves around the 3 and 4 hitter. Who do you want protecting them? Pujols and Howard? They're fine offensively, maybe not as good as the Yankees, but its almost impossible to get as good as them offensively. I think we have the starting pitching to make up for it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X