Joel Piniero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel Piniero?

$4 million for one year, player option for next year. Clause in the contract gives as much as $2 million for number of games closed.

So this is our new closer?

A candidate?

Maybe Mariners fans can enlighten me but this guy appears to have nothing.

Hopefully he can help, but this looks like a move for a veteran when a youngster could come in for one tenth the price and perform as well.

Well, it is interesting... If nothing else, if adds to the depth in that if a starter goes down (like about 5 guys did last year), here's a guy with starting experience who could plug a gap.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by sharrock
      $4 million for one year, player option for next year. Clause in the contract gives as much as $2 million for number of games closed.

So this is our new closer?
      No, but he is a canidate. I think the Sox signed him for long releif.
      "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

--4 million is alot for a long reliever. If the Sox are hoping for more out of him they will be disappointed though. He sucks. I didn't want him back in Seattle at any price.

Comment

Originally posted by leecemark
          If the Sox are hoping for more out of him they will be disappointed though.
          I don't think they are. My guess is that he's just a fill-in, or a safety net, despite the clause in the contract.
          According to this, posted yesterday, the Sox are still interested in Cordero for the closer's role. Could be, however, that Buchholz is a deal-breaker:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,19035
          Last edited by SoxSon; 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM.
          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

The Yanks were interested in him earlier. Before our stockpile of young arms popped up I was ok to sign him as a safety net on the cheap but $4million? Oh snap! Here's hoping he gets closer duties....
            After an offseason scare with blood clots, Shelley Duncan said yesterday he feels "wonderful -- like a stallion"

Comment

All I can think is that Piniero may provide volume innings as a filler which might easier allow the spinoff of a young arm(s) for a closer or other upgrade.

At face value it makes zero sense to me. Perhaps taking a flier on him would be worthwhile but 4 million is too much for that to be their thinking, especially considering the unusual move of a player option.

Curious if anyone has heard rumbling about Piniero drawing interest from any other teams.

Comment

Doesn't seem like all that bad a deal to me...sure, it's a solid amount of money, but certainly nothing to break the bank. Adding depth without having to give up any players is nice.

I imagine he'll go into the mix of bullpen arms, one of whom will become the closer. I can't see them matching the asking price in young talent that is being asked for medicore closers right now.
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I think this is a very good move. I figure that if our bullpen is only mediocre, we might as well stock up on the long reliever type, so that they don't have to pitch 4 innings every game. Hansen and Delcarmen were actually pretty good, until midseason when they were severely overworked. Our bullpen was taxed last year, and I think that this year between Piniero, Tavarez, DiNardo (if we keep him), Hansack, Romero, and Snyder they should be able to eat some innings, and hopefully we can get some good work out of them.

The more I think about Tavarez closing, the more I don't mind the idea. He thrives under pressure, and seems to do much better the more he's used. If you don't use him much he's not nearly as affective. I'd still rather someone else that's a "shutdown" closer, but Tavarez could do a decent job at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                    The more I think about Tavarez closing, the more I don't mind the idea. He thrives under pressure, and seems to do much better the more he's used. If you don't use him much he's not nearly as affective. I'd still rather someone else that's a "shutdown" closer, but Tavarez could do a decent job at it.
                    I feel Taveras is far to wild to be a closer. Great as a starter, but not a closer. I see only two real options for closer, trade for Mike Gonzalez or Chad Cordero.
                    "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Pineiro might be decent in LR. He has lost a lot on his fastball, but his off-speed stuff is decent. Maybe the Sox are hoping they can get him to be effective. He has had some dominating appearances.
                      go M's/BSox :gt

There is no "I" in "team."
                      But there is an "I" in "win."

If you like football as much as baseball, then www.pigskin-fever.com is for you.

Comment

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pineijo01.shtml

He had 15 of his 40 games in 2006 in relief. Before this, he hadn't come out of the pen since 2002 for 9 games. I'm thinking he could be more of a setup or LR/spot starter type than a closer.

Anyone know how effective he was in 2006 from the pen? How long does he take to warm up?
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

It's a decent signing. For a back-up starter and possible relief pitcher.

On the deal side, I'm not sure why any person would be surprised by 4 million. He's still a starter and we should know what type of deals are being thrown around the market this winter.

Comment

Apropos of not much, here, but...

When I got word of this signing I remembered a bit from the book Faithful, when one of the authors (I can't remember which) said that Piniero preferred to be called Jo-el (rather than the common pronunciation "Jole"), "as if he was from the Planet Krypton or something."

Anyway... it just made me smile.
                            --Annie
                            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                            Remember Yellowdog
                            ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                              When I got word of this signing I remembered a bit from the book Faithful, when one of the authors (I can't remember which) said that Piniero preferred to be called Jo-el (rather than the common pronunciation "Jole"), "as if he was from the Planet Krypton or something."
                              It is funny --- but wrong. Jo-el is the correct pronunciation, he is Latin and that's how Joel is said in Spanish, I dont fault him for that one bit.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X