No announcement yet.

Joel Piniero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I don't fault him - it was either King or O'Nan who made the original remark - but it just struck me as funny. I tried to find the reference to it in the book but got distracted.

I seem to remember that Piniero had some success against the Sox the first couple of times he faced them, didn't he? Am I remembering it wrong?
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
      I seem to remember that Piniero had some success against the Sox the first couple of times he faced them, didn't he? Am I remembering it wrong?
      Could be the reason I've always thought of him as a good pitcher.

vs. Boston: 50.2 IP, 6.75 ERA ----- ok, maybe not....

Comment

Pinheiro is the number one candidate for the closing role. He was really good in the bullpen last year.
        People say he is a long reliever for the Red Sox, for it's the same joke, as saying Kei Igawa is athe long reliever for the Yankees. You don't throw that much money out of the window for long relievers.

So Igawa will start and Pinheiro close. And if he doesnt get the job done, Red Sox have made their homeworks. We had plenty of injuries in the pitching stuff last year. Now we have a large bullpen, 5 starters plus Lester, plus Hernandez and Pinheiro plus Snyder...

That is also a sign, that different pitcher will start lower this year...

Like Hansen, Breslow, Gabbard those guys will pitch at AAA I'm pretty sure. And I think for Hansen it's good. He will come back strong.

So Epstein stockpiled pitching and you always need plenty of pitching.
        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
          Could be the reason I've always thought of him as a good pitcher.

vs. Boston: 50.2 IP, 6.75 ERA ----- ok, maybe not....
          Oh, well, I guess I remembered wrong then. Here's hoping he turns it around in Boston.
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

This guy's ERA+ has declined for five straight years. This really looks like a waste of money.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
              This guy's ERA+ has declined for five straight years. This really looks like a waste of money.
              I have to agree. Pinheiro sure doesn't look like he's worth 4 million dollars a year to me. h

But who knows, maybe he'll rebound and have a good year the Sox. And I guess ya can't have too much pitching!

Comment

He may be able to rebound as a RP, and actually, that's a distinct possibility (mainly because it would be hard for him to get any worse ).

Comment

The issue I have with the money is that Piniero looks like the quality of arm you could get for less, nearer to Spring Training. Let the arms race settle and there is always some veteran guys with a couple bad years in a row available.

Hope I am wrong and he is productive.

Comment

Originally posted by sharrock
                    The issue I have with the money is that Piniero looks like the quality of arm you could get for less, nearer to Spring Training. Let the arms race settle and there is always some veteran guys with a couple bad years in a row available.

Hope I am wrong and he is productive.
                    Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. There's always guys looking for work that will settle for less...

Btw, you going to the rangers home opener this year?

Comment

Why wouldn't the Sox sign Guardado? He's still a FA, and he's much better than Piniero, and it probably wouldn't be much more expensive. Plus Guardado has actually closed before.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
                        Btw, you going to the rangers home opener this year?
                        I certainly intend to go. Individual tix still not on sale and I didnt want to pull the trigger on one of the packages just for a few games. Hopefully I can find good tickets for opening day and one more game of the series. Had good luck last year for two games.

Comment

Originally posted by sharrock
                          I certainly intend to go. Individual tix still not on sale and I didnt want to pull the trigger on one of the packages just for a few games. Hopefully I can find good tickets for opening day and one more game of the series. Had good luck last year for two games.
                          That's what i'm thinking about as well. I'm going to do what I did last year and be on the Rangers site at 8 AM on March 1st so I can get them at face price. Do they have packages where I could get tickets for that whole series and the 3 games they play in late May?

Comment

For those saying that $4 million is too much for a reliever, check this out:

The M's just signed former Braves "closer" Chris Reitsma to a contract for $2.05 million plus an option. While that's half what Piniero is making in Boston, Piniero is a year younger, and while he was horrible last year, he was actually BETTER than Reitsma, and Reitsma is coming off elbow surgury, and Piniero can start.
                            Last edited by Mike D.; 01-05-2007, 01:37 PM.
                            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Does anyone know what pitches Piniero throws? How fast is his fastball too?

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                                Does anyone know what pitches Piniero throws? How fast is his fastball too?
                                I was curious about that too, here is what I found;

Scouting Report by Stats Inc.
                                Pitching
                                Pineiro was faced with a vexing dilemma at the start of the 2004 season. He was getting hit hard despite having, what he and the Mariners felt, was very good stuff. Pineiro likes to use his fastball, which runs in the low 90s. He's had success with his two-seamer, though he got away from it at times last season. Pineiro also has a plus slider and curveball and a good changeup. He's at his best when he can keep his slider down in the zone. Scouts like his aggressiveness.
                                Defense
                                Pineiro is regarded as an above-average defensive player. He's made just two errors over the past two seasons. Pineiro has had trouble in the past with holding baserunners on and slowing the running game. Part of that can be attributed to a high leg kick. He showed an improved pickoff move from the 2003 season, but 11 of 14 basestealers were successful against him last season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X