Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark Loretta

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DoubleX
    That's a good point. It's not so much signing Cora instead of Loretta that I don't understand, it's the amount the Sox signed Cora for. 2 mil per seems awfully steep for a backup utility player that can't hit a lick and won't help you on the bases either. If Loretta, who is still a starting quality middle infielder, is getting just 2.5, I can't see how Cora can be justified at 2. I also think Cora is a slightly lesser player than Miguel Cairo, and Cairo just settled for a one year deal at 750,000. If not for the Sox offer, I think a deal similar to Cairo's would have been what he'd likely receive on the open market.
    Dude, the worst part of it is that a couple sources have said that Loretta would have take substanially less to stay in Boston.

    Loretta's agent said that he asked Sox brass ''Do you have any interest at any level at any dollar amount?' And basically the answer was no.' Why the heck not if you are going to give Cora 2 mil a year? Ridiculous if you ask me.

    Comment


    • #17
      dont mean to be biased, but I wasn't to impressed with his 1 year with boston, I mean he's not a Robinson Cano or a Chase Utley. Then again, there aren't many good 2B's. So, I guess he didn't do bad, there could be worse.

      Though I was shocked that they picked him to replace Cano in the All-star game last year when Cano got injured.


      I agree with Pedroia, I think he will turn out to be a solid 2B, better than Loretta. Like someone said, you can't just put your young talent off, if you don't use them when they are ready, they won't get anywhere. Thats why I think people should trade there young players if they don't have room for them. Like if the yankees don't put Andy Phillips on the 25 man roster after spring trainning, he deserves to be traded, because he could be a starting 1B somewhere, but can't get a chance for being on a team like the Yankees.
      LETS GO YANKEES!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by EvanAparra
        Dude, the worst part of it is that a couple sources have said that Loretta would have take substanially less to stay in Boston.

        Loretta's agent said that he asked Sox brass ''Do you have any interest at any level at any dollar amount?' And basically the answer was no.' Why the heck not if you are going to give Cora 2 mil a year? Ridiculous if you ask me.
        Yeah I heard that too. Loretta really wanted to stay in Boston, we might have been able to sign him for less the Cora got. And the more I think about it, the more I think the Sox over payed Cora. I think DoubleX is right, Cora probably would have got similar money to what Miguel Cairo received as a FA had the Sox not resigned him.

        Pedroia is still unproven, he hit .191 with 89 at bats for the Sox and may still need some AAA time to adjust. Cora has a good glove, and plays well in SS which is why I like him as a utility player but hit only .238 last year.

        So if Pedroia doesn't adjust as quickly as the Sox management hopes he will, Cora may be thrust in the role of starting 2nd baseman! Thats why I would have signed Loretta, as insurance.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Dogdaze
          Yeah I heard that too. Loretta really wanted to stay in Boston, we might have been able to sign him for less the Cora got. And the more I think about it, the more I think the Sox over payed Cora. I think DoubleX is right, Cora probably would have got similar money to what Miguel Cairo received as a FA had the Sox not resigned him.
          Don't get me wrong, signing Cora over Loretta is understandable in that Cora provides more defensive options, and in theory should have been significantly cheaper. It's that last part that leaves me scratching my head.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by EvanAparra
            Dude, the worst part of it is that a couple sources have said that Loretta would have take substanially less to stay in Boston.

            Loretta's agent said that he asked Sox brass ''Do you have any interest at any level at any dollar amount?' And basically the answer was no.' Why the heck not if you are going to give Cora 2 mil a year? Ridiculous if you ask me.
            He doesn't turn 36 until August, so what was there that the Sox FO wasn't too crazy about? His stats? Age? Clubhouse demeanor?

            After they'd traded away Wake's catcher, Mirabelli, to get him, why'd they suddenly give him his walking papers?
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Mattingly
              He doesn't turn 36 until August, so what was there that the Sox FO wasn't too crazy about? His stats? Age? Clubhouse demeanor?

              After they'd traded away Wake's catcher, Mirabelli, to get him, why'd they suddenly give him his walking papers?
              My guess is that the team was eager to make room for Pedroia and attempt to inject some homegrown youth into the lineup and that they didn't think it was wise to keep Loretta around as a utility player because he can't really play SS and 3B anymore and that maybe the team thought he would be more expensive than he ended up being. Still doesn't explain why they threw 4 million at Alex Cora though.

              Loretta was a stopgag to Pedroia. He served that purpose, and served it very well, and it only cost the team a backup catcher at the time. Though utilmately it really cost them Cla Meredith and Josh Bard. Still, not a bad trade given that Loretta performed very solidly for the Sox.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Mattingly
                He doesn't turn 36 until August, so what was there that the Sox FO wasn't too crazy about? His stats? Age? Clubhouse demeanor?

                After they'd traded away Wake's catcher, Mirabelli, to get him, why'd they suddenly give him his walking papers?
                His hitting isn't anything to brag about. He was a .285 hitter, but he doesn't walk, and he has absolutely no power. Im sure he's a good clubhouse guy, everyone seemed to really like him. He was a one year stop-gap at 2nd base until Pedroia was ready... Pedroia had a great year at AAA, so they feel he's now ready to take over. Understandable.

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X